Windows not booting after disconnecting Second HDD

bprithvi

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I have two HDD. Disk1 and Disk2. I have installed windows XP on Disk-1 and at the time of installation Disk-2 was also connected to my PC. So far my PC is working fine.
Today when i disconnected the disk-2, while booting, it says "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". But I have Win-XP on Disk-1 and it is already connected.

If i disconnect Disk1 (and connect only Disk-2), it says "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware"

I have verified BIOS boot sequency, it is set correctly. What is wrong? Please help me.

Note: I thought the problem was in MBR or boot.ini. So I ran "Repair" using Win-XP CD and run "bootcfg /scan" with only disk-1, it found no result. But with both Disk-1 and Disk-2, it was able to scan the boot.ini file

How do I boot Win-XP with only Disk-1 ?

Thanks,
bprithvi

Solution
i think you put windows in both disks. you should have installed windows on one disk then connect the second drive and activate the second drive

bprithvi

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I tried reconfiguring boot priority, but it didnt help. I figured out that system files and boot.ini file are on different drives. So both drives has to be connected in order to boot the Windows.
I have reinstalled Windows-XP with just one drive and connected the second drive later. Now the problem is not reproduced.