HP Pavilion Slimline Series s5-1050d Upgrade

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hi guys, i would like to seek some expert advice out there regarding the upgrading of this desktop.

I have considered/researched on the fact that this computer has a very low power supply unit and it will most probably not deliver the adequate amount of power supply needed for most high end graphic card.

Therefore my question is this, is it possible if i change the PSU and maybe even the casing of the whole CPU to get a high end graphic card?

I also have concern over this desktop model of MB, i am wondering if i will be able to get a graphic card that will match this model of MB.

If let say i am going to upgrade this desktop, how much $$$ budget will i be looking at here?

My computer specs can be see on this website
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02863855&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5080757&prodTypeId=12454

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks

Solution
Looks like it uses the ATX standard and it is a micro ATX board. Any ATX case that can fit an ATX/micro ATX motherboard will be fine.

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
My warranty is already over, and all i want is to upgrade my graphic card. However, there are consideration to be made, like the motherboard and power supply unit.

According to HP's website the only processors that will work with that motherboard are:

Processor upgrade information

Socket type: LGA 1155

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades

Core i7-2600S 65W

Core i5-2xxx 65W

Core i3-2xxx 65W

It won't accept any "k" version processor and really there won't be a HUGE difference between an I5 and an I7. There really no point in upgrding it would be a waste of money.

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
sorry guys for the late reply,i was oversea. However, my thanks for the replies. I truly appreciate it. However, i am not talking about upgrading the processor. What i truly want is to upgrade the graphic card. However, my main concern lies with the motherboard and PSU, i am afraid that it might not match. Any ideas what graphic card i should get in order to get a graphic card that fits this model of computer?.

The motherboad has one PCI-e 16X slot so it will accept any modern video card. As or what video card to get it will depend on what you are going to be doing and how much you want to spend. If you want to get a high-end video card like a 7870-7970 you are going to have to get a new PSU. OEM's almost always cheap out on the powersupply and just because it says something like 450 Watts it more than likely doesn't really deliver that much power.

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
If possible, i wish to get a graphic card that is suitable for my powersupply unit while giving a moderate-high gaming experience. Any recommendation on the graphic card i should get?

Loads of thanks

Sorry but that is kind of like an oxymoron it just doesn't work like that. If your computer still has the original OEM PSU the only video card you are going to be able to get is something really low end like a GT 630/640 or Radeon 7570 and you aren't going to able to game at level you want with those video cards. If you want to game at medium to high settings you are going to want to get something like a GTX 650Ti and you are going to need a new PSU. You can not cheap out on the PSU. If the PSU is cheap and can't keep a good supply of power it will blow and when it does there is a good chance that it will take other hardware like the motherboard, RAM and video card with it.

mohit9206

Distinguished
OP your power supply is only 220 watts according to the hp website so its impossible to suggest any graphics card that will work on your existing psu. so you have to upgrade the power supply which is a simple task.
get something like corsair GS600 gaming series and get a radeon 7870 or gtx 660 to go along with it. these two are the best mid-hi end video cards

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Alright, thanks for your advice...one last thing, is it necessary to change the motherboard if i wish to change the PSU... or do i have anything else to consider if i change the PSU...as far as i am concern i know that if i were to change the PSU...the casing of the CPU will have to be replace into a bigger one...

You are going to have to make sure you get the right PSU. Those slimline's usually don't use stamdard ATX power supplies. As for changing anything else no you don't have to change the motherboard or anything else.

HP Slimline computers use power supplies that fit into cases that are smaller than ATX. These power supplies are either micro-atx or are of a special design like SFX.

cold10me

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks for the advice, i have researched on the internet the possibility of such micro-atx power supplies and i find that it is virtually impossible/rare to get a PSU that is above 270W.

so lets say if i wish to change the power supply and my casing isn't big enough since its a HP pavilion slimeline series, is it possible that i salvage the remaining stuff inside my CPU and transfer to a bigger casing since all PSU as far as i am concern, they are rather big and bulky. I don't think it will fit into my current CPU.

Is it feasible?

What will be the main concern that i will be facing if i change/expand the casing?

It will depend on the motherboard. If the motherboard uses standard ATX/Micro-ATX mounting points then yes. All you have to do is take eveything apart and mount it in the new computer. Sometimes though OEM's use proprietary motherboards that use different mounting points. They do this so if the motherboard breaks you have to buy a new motherboard from them because on thier motherboards will work in that case. My guess is that it uses standard ATX/Micro ATX mounting but can you take a picture of the inside so we can tell you for sure. You don't want to buy a new case and a new ATX PSU to find out that the motherboard won't mount into the new case.