Sign in with
Your question

Can WinXP run with a much newer build?

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 10:51:15 AM

Howdy y'all,

I got a pretty old PC from 2006 and I'd like to upgrade to a better CPU.

My current PC has an AMD64 single core @ 3.2 Ghz, 3 gigs of DDR RAM and a an Asus A8R-MVP mobo, it's still decent, but I could use more processing power.

I was thinking of upgrading the mobo, CPU and RAM:

1) Asus P8Z77-M PRO 1155 | Intel | Z77 | 7.1 | 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 | HD Graphics | 2 x USB 3.0 | 8

2) INTEL CPU Desktop Core i7-3770K (3.5GHz,8MB,77W,1155) - quad core

3) Kit Dual Channel 4x4 Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 16GB 1600 CL9

Now I would rather not get Windows 7 because a) I don't like it and b) it's overly expensive. I'd also have to migrate buckets of files to a new hard drive which takes time.

My questions are:

If I get all this new stuff will XP be able to run it? I know that XP will only recognize around 4 gigs of RAM, but will it be able to run the other stuff as if it were installed on Win7?

If not, how much of a derating of processing power am I looking at, compared to the new CPU being installed on Win7 (as a percentage)? Would it still be noticeably faster than my current equipment?

Would it cause any damage to the 16GB RAM sticks for it not to be used to capacity?

Thanks much.

More about : winxp run newer build

a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 10:59:05 AM

your copy of XP could be made t work if its an actual Microsoft disk

but it will be 32 bit so it will only let you use about 3 gig of RAM ,and it wont be very good at using multiple cpu cores at the same time

BUY win7 64 bit [or 8] and then change the appearance
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change...
a c 178 à CPUs
August 9, 2012 11:02:20 AM

the newer cpu is going to be faster. with the ram issues just put one stick of 4g ram in keep the other three as extra till you switch to a 64 bit os. leaving them in there shipping plastic for a few years wont hurt them. when you switch mb your going to need to format your hard drive. changing mb chipset can cause windows not to load or blue scree nit self to death. you have to know how to boot into safe mode and remove the old mb drivers. you can pick up on ebay cheap windows xp 64 or windows 7 oem. from new egg oem disk is most time onsale for 80.00. in oct when windows 8 comes out the price of windows 7 will drop.
if your in school you can get windows products for a discount. microsoft not writing newer drivers for the older os. so if you get an ssd you not have trim and other features found in windows 7 or 8.
Related resources
August 9, 2012 11:15:51 AM

I thought Win7 OEM only came preinstalled with new complete PCs, btw can an OEM Win7 be installed/reinstalled on the same PC?

Thanks guys, very useful info.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 11:32:42 AM

Simple answer: yes, it can, but it's obsolete and it sucks.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 12:58:30 PM

CoffeeHound said:
I thought Win7 OEM only came preinstalled with new complete PCs, btw can an OEM Win7 be installed/reinstalled on the same PC?

Thanks guys, very useful info.

The official line is Windows 7 OEM can only be installed on new systems intended for re-sale; meaning, you build the system with the intention of selling it. Additionally, you provide technical support for that system (as opposed to Microsoft).

Yes, you can re-install it on the same computer (with all the same computer components). The license is tied to the motherboard of the system. It cannot be installed onto any other system.

-Wolf sends
!