Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading my computer?

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 11:24:26 AM

Hey guys, first time posting here. I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding my current system and if it's worth upgrading to a barebones bundle from Tiger Direct.

Ok, so my current system specs are:

AMD FX-6100 Six Core Desktop Processor
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 Memory (1333)
1TB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
24x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Graphics Card With 2GB Memory
7.1 Audio Support
Gigaibt Ethernet
Six USB 2.0, HDMI, Two DVI
Windows 7 Home Premium, Office Starter

I can run most games on high settings with good FPS but I can't do things like stream live video or multi-task very well. I think this is because of the processor, apparently it's not very good and I didn't research it enough as I should have.

My question is if you guys think this barebones bundle from tiger direct would be a huge upgrade over what I currently have. Also, I would be purchasing the 660ti for the barebones PC. Would it fit in with the mobo and all that good stuff (700 W power supply enough?)

Here is the specs for the barebones PC:

MSI Z77A-G45 Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2667MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Intel Core i7-3770K BX80667i73770K Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 3.50GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail
MSI DH-24AAS-17 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered
Western Digital WD10EALX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB
Thermaltake VN770M1W2N Overseer RX-I Full Tower Computer Case - ATX, 700W PSU, Full Tower, 3 x 5.25" Bays, 5 x 3.5" Bays, 8 x Expansion Slots, 2 x USB 3.0, 2x Blue LED Fans, Black

And a link to it http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
August 9, 2012 1:57:08 PM

not worth upgrading. you should have gotten yourself a intel system in the first place.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:09:09 PM

Best upgrade is ssd and more and faster ram.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 2:11:38 PM

he has 8gb. faster ram does nothing
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:13:04 PM

Hi, I would keep the HDD, burner, gpu and the OS and go for the barebones ystem or build from scratch.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:30:22 PM

Welcome to the forums!

No, it would defiantly not make sense to scrap your current system.
While AMD's FX series processors may not be as powerful as Intel's latest offerings, they are not terrible either.
For average usage and all other components being the same, you would never be able to tell the difference between your processor and a top end Intel.

What I would recommend is adding a SSD for your boot and program drive, keeping your current 1TB drive for your files and larger installations.
No need to upgrade your RAM (8GB is more than enough) or GPU (as you are happy with your gaming performance).

To your specific issues; troubles streaming video is indicative of a network issue or lack of bandwidth.
How fast is your internet and do you have issues streaming from all sites and at all times?
Also, please give us some further information on what multitasking feels slow on your system.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:32:33 PM

try getting the 660ti into ur current system to test how much difference that makes 1st , if ur going to buy it anyways .
go for some higher spec ram also
and an ssd drives :D 

m
l
August 9, 2012 7:22:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was actually thinking of going with a SSD and some faster RAM so maybe I will just do that and see how it runs. When I say streaming video, I mean broadcasting on like TwitchTV or something, not watching it. I know this also requires a good internet connection but I think it is very CPU intensive also.

I really want to upgrade to an Intel i7 but I know that's not really possible unless I scrap the whole system pretty much. The i7 benchmarks are more than twice the FX-6100!

I was going to try and sell my system for about $700-750 and spend about $1000 on the new one but I guess I will hold off on that since everyone seems to think it's not a huge upgrade.
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:26:01 PM

you could get a SSD but then you have to install windows on it again
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:26:48 PM

Isn't there a way to transfer your current OS to the SSD?
m
l
August 9, 2012 9:20:43 PM

Yes, you can clone your HD to the SSD but I would not recommend it.
For best stability and performance, it would be best to reinstall Windows once you get the new drive.
I would not worry to much about upgrading the RAM either; any performance gains would be absolutely minimal.

Something else you could try is upgrading your CPU cooler and overclocking.
The FX series are capable of massive overclocks, which equates to free performance less the cooler cost and energy costs.
m
l
August 9, 2012 9:30:20 PM

you will need something like a hyper 212 evo to do so though
m
l
August 9, 2012 10:14:47 PM

Yeah I looked in OC'ing but everyone doesn't recommend it until you get an aftermarket cooler installed. I am not very good with computer hardware though, is it difficult to install a cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO? I have zero experience in building PCs, I bought mine as a pre-built machine.

Also, I went ahead and purchased a 128 gb SSD. Can I use the key that came with my machine when I install Windows onto the SSD or do I need to purchase another copy?

Thanks again guys!
m
l
August 9, 2012 11:16:11 PM

no. it should work since its on the same motherboard. if it doesnt, call microsoft and explain to them that you are putting the os on the same system but on a different drive
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:31:57 AM

Yes, you can reuse your license key to reinstall the same version of Windows.
Your OEM key is linked to your motherboard so, as you are only changing the boot drive, there will be no issues.
If you do run into any issues, just run through Microsoft's online activation process and everything should be taken care of.

It should not be to difficult to install a new CPU cooler but, depending on your case, you will probably need to remove your motherboard to do so.
That may seem like a daunting task, but it really is fairly straightforward.
m
l
August 10, 2012 11:06:51 AM

dont intel ssd's come with clone software now?
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:39:45 PM

some. only retail versions or upgrade kits
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:21:24 PM

Hey guys, turns out my Mobo only supports IDE mode and is only Sata2, not Sata3. Is it even worth putting an SSD on this thing?
m
l
August 11, 2012 12:02:29 AM

you dont get the read and write speeds, but IOPS (the most important thing) is not affected. IDE mode is ok but AHCI will get you more speed. nevertheless, it will still be a large improvement
m
l
!