Newbie needs source of game instructions

Hi all!

I just picked up BF1942 and have been trying to make sense of it. I
have three of the Medal of Honour games and play them well. BF1942 is
a very different layout and I need some guidance to learn how to use
it properly. There are no written iinstructions in the game package
and no instruction files in the software. Very poor product support.

From what I hear though and the limited game experience I have in
"trying" to play it, it looks like a very high end game.

Please offer whatever help you can so I can explore this promising
game.
I don't understand how to use the map.
What do I do with the different fighting class characters at the left
of the screen. Do I use each character until they are all gone or do I
just play one?
Do I act as part of the team or as a lone wolf?
Do I lead the team?
How do I determine where I wish to be on the map?
Can I save a game while playing?
What is spawning and why is there a countdown while waiting for my
character to appear in the battle area?

So many questions I know but I don't know of any place where the
basics of the game are explained.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Best regards,
Paul

Comments inline

"Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I just picked up BF1942 and have been trying to make sense of it. I
> have three of the Medal of Honour games and play them well. BF1942 is
> a very different layout and I need some guidance to learn how to use
> it properly. There are no written iinstructions in the game package
> and no instruction files in the software. Very poor product support.
>
> From what I hear though and the limited game experience I have in
> "trying" to play it, it looks like a very high end game.

It's a great high-end game. Even better playing online.

> Please offer whatever help you can so I can explore this promising
> game.

> I don't understand how to use the map.
The map shows where all your teammates (and you) are located by showing
little arrows. (You cannot see other teams arrows). Hitting Enter will
enlarge map. Enter again and it recedes to up right corner. While in play,
hit the N key to zoom in/out.

> What do I do with the different fighting class characters at the left
> of the screen. Do I use each character until they are all gone or do I
> just play one?
You can switch between characters during spawn time depending on what type
weapons you wish to use

> Do I act as part of the team or as a lone wolf?
Depends on game. PC bots don't play with you very well. Online games have
great players that sometimes stick together.

> Do I lead the team?
Use the F keys to yell commands and requests. In a good online game, others
will respond. Bot games, they don't listen at all.
> How do I determine where I wish to be on the map?
Is it a 'hot' zone? If you're getting killed upon spawning, try another
spawn point.
> Can I save a game while playing?
Online? no, although you can take screenshots.

> What is spawning and why is there a countdown while waiting for my
> character to appear in the battle area?
Gives you a chance to watch map, select different weapon or spawn point and
crack your fingers :>).

> So many questions I know but I don't know of any place where the
> basics of the game are explained.
You can also ask during the game in chat mode (if your playing online). To
chat to your team only, hit L key , type message, then hit enter. To send
message to both teams, hit K key.
Note: when someone says something, the arrow turns yellow for a few seconds
in order to see where that person is.

> I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul

For most of my suggestions, I had online play in mind. I haven't played the
computer bots in ages. Online is way too much fun!! -- jimigun

<5Trbe.31506$_t3.16575@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, nospam@xx.ff.ll said...
> Comments inline
>
> > I don't understand how to use the map.
> The map shows where all your teammates (and you) are located by showing
> little arrows. (You cannot see other teams arrows). Hitting Enter will
> enlarge map. Enter again and it recedes to up right corner. While in play,
> hit the N key to zoom in/out.

The default key for the map is M, release key and map goes back into corner.
That brings up the full map only, not the spawn-screen, which Enter brings up.
I've mapped my mapkey to Q, that way I can still move around while checking out
the map.

> > What do I do with the different fighting class characters at the left
> > of the screen. Do I use each character until they are all gone or do I
> > just play one?

Select the class you feel like playing, depending on situation. On maps like El
Alamein with lots of tanks, Antitank- or Engineer-classes are very useful.
Engineer has mines and detpacks, plus a wrench to repair your(or others)tank.
On Berlin, which is mostly infantry, you can be Assault or Medic. It's up to
you, which is the beauty of this great game.

> > What is spawning and why is there a countdown while waiting for my
> > character to appear in the battle area?

Spawn is when your character comes to life and joins the game. The countdown is
because players spawn in waves, kind of like collecting the corpses before
respawning many players instead of just you. ;-)

> > So many questions I know but I don't know of any place where the
> > basics of the game are explained.

A couple of good sites:
http://battlefield1942.filefront.com/
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/

> Note: when someone says something, the arrow turns yellow for a few seconds
> in order to see where that person is.

This applies only to the radio-commands, not chat.

> For most of my suggestions, I had online play in mind. I haven't played the
> computer bots in ages. Online is way too much fun!! -- jimigun

Second that!

If you want to play online(recomended)you will need a couple of patches:
Patch 1.6.19(268mb):
http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.exe

Patch 1.6 to 1.61b(6,4mb):
http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942
_incremental_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.exe

See you on the battlefield.
--
Lansenerd
www.agbgaming.com

Paganguy wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I just picked up BF1942 and have been trying to make sense of it. I
> have three of the Medal of Honour games and play them well. BF1942 is
> a very different layout and I need some guidance to learn how to use
> it properly. There are no written iinstructions in the game package
> and no instruction files in the software. Very poor product support.
>
> From what I hear though and the limited game experience I have in
> "trying" to play it, it looks like a very high end game.
>
> Please offer whatever help you can so I can explore this promising
> game.
> I don't understand how to use the map.
> What do I do with the different fighting class characters at the left
> of the screen. Do I use each character until they are all gone or do I
> just play one?
> Do I act as part of the team or as a lone wolf?
> Do I lead the team?
> How do I determine where I wish to be on the map?
> Can I save a game while playing?
> What is spawning and why is there a countdown while waiting for my
> character to appear in the battle area?
>
> So many questions I know but I don't know of any place where the
> basics of the game are explained.
>
> I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul
here is a decent starting point to learn the where and how to's...
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/