There is another gold/item duping bug out there

Apparently the extended downtime yesterday didn't actually fix ALL of
the gold/item duping bugs. Apparently there's a new one involving
Battlegrounds instances.

The bug is rather simple - give the item/gold you intend to dupe right
outside of an instance (item can't be soulbound), enter the instance,
hope it crashes (stuck on load screen for over a minute and then loss
of connection), and if it does, you're reverted to a previous state
where you still had your stuff while the person you gave it to also
still has it.

They might've fixed the bug involving Maraudon (fix not yet confirmed),
but there's still one involving other instances :-/
8 answers Last reply
More about there gold item duping there

    Hrmmm it's actually hard to know what's going on now because there are
    lots of people on the general forums claiming it's all a fake and even
    Blizzard said so
    http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general-en&t=405951
    Though it wouldn't exactly be in their best interested to confirm.

    So, now I am just confused. This news hit the front page of Slashdot
    yesterday, and Slashdot never lies, right?! Hopefully someone in here
    can help resolve this mystery. Have you witnessed any evidence
    first-hand that there actually is a duping bug in the wild?

    There's not much real factual info to go on. Two of my guildmates
    volunteered to "test" the method everyone's been talking about last
    night. They were *NOT* able to dupe anything, either a small amount of
    cash (1 Silver) or a stack of Medium Leather. No one else in the guild
    wants to risk losing their accounts.

    Unfortunately this is taking on a life of it's own. All the people
    continuously zoning in and out every Instance *ARE* causing the
    Instances to re-set frequently. So it's become a self-fulfilling
    prophecy as far as effecting the game goes. Even if the economies are
    not being ruined, the content is.

    As for why there would be huge spikes in gold sale listings on eBay,
    etc, I'd chalk it up to a feeding frenzy by unscrupulous parties trying
    to rip people off.

    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
    > Hrmmm it's actually hard to know what's going on now because there are
    > lots of people on the general forums claiming it's all a fake and even
    > Blizzard said so
    > http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general-en&t=405951
    > Though it wouldn't exactly be in their best interested to confirm.

    Well both should have to enter the instance to be rolled back. But you'd
    actually want the one that gave up the gold to enter wouldn't you?
    Seems they are leaving out some details or releasing an incorrect version.

    > So, now I am just confused. This news hit the front page of Slashdot
    > yesterday, and Slashdot never lies, right?! Hopefully someone in here
    > can help resolve this mystery. Have you witnessed any evidence
    > first-hand that there actually is a duping bug in the wild?

    for me also.. the person that gives away items will be rolled back to
    the state just before entereing instance and NOT to the state giving
    items away...

    On 21 Jul 2005 00:01:53 -0700, maxnews01@web.de wrote:

    >for me also.. the person that gives away items will be rolled back to
    >the state just before entereing instance and NOT to the state giving
    >items away...

    You're not thinking in programming terms. There's almsot certainly
    not a single "object" changing hands; rather, there are records, of
    who has what, being updated. When A "gives" something to B in-game,
    it's likely to be a complex (if well-understood) task. Almost
    certainly, each character has a list of what they have. So A's list
    has to be updated to remove the object,and B's to add it. The two
    operations can't happen simultaneously, so you have to choose to do
    one first. If the operation crashes between the two, you either end
    up with no object or two, depending on what order you did things in.

    You can get round *that* problem with techniques such as a two-phase
    commit. But that's not the end of the problem - this is a real-time
    game with people coming and going, so you need to store the character
    state to the central server as well at some point. Doing that every
    time something changes is hideously expensive - and everyone would be
    whinging about lag and Blizzard's lousy code. So more likely the
    server flags a character as changed, stores changed characters at
    regular intervals, and has exception code for the "unexpected" things
    (such as a connection dropping, or an instance crashing), to store
    state and make sure things stay coordinated - if you get it right,
    no-one ever gets a hint as to what's actually happening.

    The problem with exceptions is you need to think of all of them, and
    make sure you *keep* thinking of all of them as the game changes -
    because if you miss one, or introduce one, characters are either going
    to lose stuff when the exception happens, or you'll get a potential
    dupe exploit. Which you get isn't arbitrary, it's a matter of policy
    - in real terms, you're going to piss people off a lot more if they
    keep losing stuff, because that's personal. So you take the hit of
    possible exploits, and fix them if they occur.

    All of which leads to a common pattern. A gives "something" to B. A
    quickly does something unexpected that the code hasn't got covered,
    and gets booted out of the game without the changed state being
    stored. A rejoins the game and gets restored from the central records
    in a state in which they still have the "something". Dupe. Followed
    by some poor programmer spending a few sleepless hours working out
    what went wrong and fixing it - until the next time.

    (Oh - and if anyone thinks you know how to write code in which there
    isn't a "next time" - your fortune awaits you. "Code" equals "bugs",
    pure and simple. )

    Cheers - Ian

    #1: You can optimize every program by removing at least one line of
    code.
    #2: Every program contains at least one bug.

    Conclusion: You can reduce every program to one line of code that
    doesn't work.

    Chris :o)

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (57) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Ian Noble" <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> (Oh - and if anyone thinks you know how to write code in which there
    >> isn't a "next time" - your fortune awaits you. "Code" equals "bugs",
    >> pure and simple. )
    >

    > #1: You can optimize every program by removing at least one line of
    > code.
    > #2: Every program contains at least one bug.
    >
    > Conclusion: You can reduce every program to one line of code that
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > Chris :o)

    It works great with a hammer, or a slab of concrete dropped from a few
    stories. you get a one-centimeter-thick computer that doesn't work.

    The description I read about this made it clear that it only worked during
    server resets. Apparently the general world environment would be reset and
    go live, but the instances wouldn't be rest for some small time lag - about
    10 minutes was stated. So, during this time, if you entered the instance,
    and got booted, you would come back to the world in a "rolled back" state.
    So, by giving gold to a person outside the instance, and then quickly
    entering the instance and leaving again - in hopes to cause a lock up or
    whatever, would result in the person who had given the gold away being
    rolled back to the previous state (that is, they'd get their gold back).
    The other person, that was in the regular world, which had already been
    reset properly, would also have the gold you gave him. There's the dupe.

    My guild was doing a quest run tonight and had some interesting problems.
    The GM had done the tedious quest string to get the blood of innocents to
    summon the bat boss in Scholo so a bunch of us warriors could do repeated
    runs to get as many of us the valor boots as possible. We were averaging
    about 10 minutes start to finish, and then we'd exit the instance, disband
    and reform to reset the instance, and go again. On the 3rd attempt to
    reset, when we entered the instance ALL of us got locked up. When we tried
    to relog, we'd get the "that name is already in existence" message OR we'd
    get automatically disconnected. We were all able to log in as alts with no
    problem, and in the guild list our main characters names were still there.
    pretty weird.

    Later, no matter what we did in terms of disbanding and reforming, whenever
    we entered teh instance we'd get the message that we were not part of the
    raid party. Then we were NOT able to exit the instnace,and so we ended up
    getting hearthed back to our home inn. Pretty freaking annoying.

    IN both cases, after some time passed - maybe 15 minutes or so - the
    problems suddenly disappeared and all was well again - for a time.

    I just wonder if this is some deliberate thing that Blizzard implemented to
    stop the "duping" behaviors. We were, sort of, entering the instance and
    exiting frequently. More likely, I guess, is that Scholo was just bugged
    for some reason on our server. But you do wonder...

    Mike

    "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
    > Cyde Weys wrote:
    >> Apparently the extended downtime yesterday didn't actually fix ALL of
    >> the gold/item duping bugs. Apparently there's a new one involving
    >> Battlegrounds instances.
    >>
    >> The bug is rather simple - give the item/gold you intend to dupe right
    >> outside of an instance (item can't be soulbound), enter the instance,
    >> hope it crashes (stuck on load screen for over a minute and then loss
    >> of connection), and if it does, you're reverted to a previous state
    >> where you still had your stuff while the person you gave it to also
    >> still has it.
    >
    > This doesn't really make any sense; I don't see why the original person
    > would still have the item. Sounds like a hoax to me.

    > Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com
    >
    > Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    > Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks

Warcraft Bug Video Games