Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't Sli 560ti, no option to sli only physx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 19, 2012 1:01:51 PM

Hey guys,

About a year ago, I put my rig together and it has been great. Probably about November I bought my second 560ti to sli with my original. This didn't work. I had no option to sli in the control panel, but both cards are detected and the new one is set for physx. After much trouble shooting, I finally found a way to get the sli option to be available, but it caused my pc to keep BSODing and it wouldn't let me get past about %50 in driver updates. I finally realized that when using the new card alone, there was no picture at all, so I did an RMA through EVGA. Now, even with the new card, I still can't sli. I don't know what to do. It's not the realtek ethernet driver issue either. Any help is appreciated!

Specs:

1 x Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
1 x BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x EVGA 01G-P3-1563-A1 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) Maximum Graphics Edition Crysis 2 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch
1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:03:44 PM

Are you using the SLI connector that came with the motherboard to connect the two cards? It's blue?
m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:07:30 PM

Also, check out this link on the Nvidia SLI tech site:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c19

You need some software called coolbits to get this running because you have two cards with different memory sizes. I don't see anywhere this software is offered on the Nvidia site any longer though.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:24:37 PM

Quote:
^Where is your office?

You gotta watch some Happy Days dude! :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:39:32 PM

^+1

lol, just confirming @ubercake is correct, probably you didn't plugged the crossfire cable, if you did, it probably is damaged.

sometimes the motherboard doesn't support it but if you posted right:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...
Support ATI crossfireX and NVIDIA SLI technology
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 6:59:28 PM

Yes, it's the sli connector, it's not the crossfire.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:08:18 PM

well the psu could be a problem, if you overclock anything, i think that that PSU can handle 2x 560 ti but not if you start overclocking your CPU and GPU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:21:00 PM

My guess is that those 2 cards a too different to SLI.
The Crysis one is overclocked at GPU 900mhz shader clock of 1800, and memory at 4212 and it is 1gb.
The newer card is clocked at gpu at 822 shader 1645 ram at 4000. With 1gb of ram.
I would Google this topic see if anyone has been able to sli these 2 models.
Some long shot ideas to try, if you like adventure…Try with no SLI bridge. You should be able to enable and use SLI with no bridge.
This one might be a stretch and would take some reading on your part, but it should work. You could copy the bios from the crysis card and use it to flash the other card. This would effectively overclock it so the clocks in both cards match and it would also disable that extra gig of ram. Just save the old bios so you can re-flash it if it does not work out.


SLI is fickle and often not worth the trouble.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:23:53 PM

could be that the problem, since they are too different, if they are synchronizing each other probably can be causing an unstable clock on the other, to the cards work good in SLI it is recommende to Synchronize them you can do that with MSI afterburner for example, but in that case overclocking the one from 822mhz shate to 900mhz can cause problems, the best option would be synchronizing the one from 900 to 822mhz i already did some Sling and had some problems with cards in different clocks, that is really possible.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 7:30:27 PM

Or! I could sell that and just get a 670 :D 
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:32:03 PM

zvetro said:
Hey guys,

About a year ago, I put my rig together and it has been great. Probably about November I bought my second 560ti to sli with my original. This didn't work. I had no option to sli in the control panel, but both cards are detected and the new one is set for physx. After much trouble shooting, I finally found a way to get the sli option to be available, but it caused my pc to keep BSODing and it wouldn't let me get past about %50 in driver updates. I finally realized that when using the new card alone, there was no picture at all, so I did an RMA through EVGA. Now, even with the new card, I still can't sli. I don't know what to do. It's not the realtek ethernet driver issue either. Any help is appreciated!

Specs:

1 x Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
1 x BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x EVGA 01G-P3-1563-A1 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) Maximum Graphics Edition Crysis 2 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch
1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM



bucknutty said:
My guess is that those 2 cards a too different to SLI.
The Crysis one is overclocked at GPU 900mhz shader clock of 1800, and memory at 4212 and it is 1gb.
The newer card is clocked at gpu at 822 shader 1645 ram at 4000. With 1gb of ram.

I would Google this topic see if anyone has been able to sli these 2 models.
Some long shot ideas to try, if you like adventure…Try with no SLI bridge. You should be able to enable and use SLI with no bridge.
This one might be a stretch and would take some reading on your part, but it should work. You could copy the bios from the crysis card and use it to flash the other card. This would effectively overclock it so the clocks in both cards match and it would also disable that extra gig of ram. Just save the old bios so you can re-flash it if it does not work out.


SLI is fickle and often not worth the trouble.

The OP is not using two 1GB cards and I've had a similar issue that turned out to be the fault of W7 and MS not SLi being fickle.
m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:35:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The OP is not using two 1GB cards and I've had a similar issue that turned out to be the fault of W7 and MS not SLi being fickle.

Do you have any knowledge of the coolbits software mentioned on the SLI web site?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:37:11 PM

zvetro said:
Or! I could sell that and just get a 670 :D 


Awesome choice, will require much less power, and will run much better performance, i went from 560ti sli too, to a 680 and i am loving it.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:37:27 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The OP is not using two 1GB cards and I've had a similar issue that turned out to be the fault of W7 and MS not SLi being fickle.

Your completely correct... i mis-typed the whole point of my message was that i belive that the 1 card at 1gb and 1 card at 2gb was probablly the issue. I even suggested trying to use the 1gb bios on the 2gb card to disable the extra gig of ram.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:40:41 PM

ubercake said:
Do you have any knowledge of the coolbits software mentioned on the SLI web site?

I know it use to be useful back in the GF6 and 7 days but I don't know how useful it is today.
m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:43:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I know it use to be useful back in the GF6 and 7 days but I don't know how useful it is today.

I think they need to update that part of their site. I've looked for it and the latest mention of it was along with some five-year old drivers.

OP getting the 670 makes the point moot. I say go for it. You could probably fund most if not all of the purchase selling off the 560s.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 7:47:11 PM

I have tried coolbits before, I can try it again though.

I figure I could sell the two cards for about 300 - 350 and buy either the Evga 670 ftw or the 4gb model
m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:59:03 PM

zvetro said:
I have tried coolbits before, I can try it again though.

I figure I could sell the two cards for about 300 - 350 and buy either the Evga 670 ftw or the 4gb model

Nice!
m
0
l
June 23, 2012 5:50:58 PM

Well, I flipped the sli adapter aroud, switched the card placement, and tried coolbits again, and it worked! I now have the cards in sli and I'm getting between 60 and 80 frames in bf3! It's great, thanks for the help guys!
m
0
l
!