GTS 250 HDMI 1080P

Poffertjie

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hello,
I have a Nvidia gts 250 1gb gpu, I have it connected to a 40inch 200hz 1080p tv screen running it by 1920x1080 resolution. Now sometimes its laggy when working on the computer. When playing videos its also a little bit laggy now and then. What wil be causing this?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
if you increased the resolution of course it will increase the GPU load and it will decrease Framerate in games. a gts250 isn't a good GPU for recent games at 1080p resolution, the solution is lower resolution or decrease graphics.

if you are using a television with Post Processing Hz just disable that effect when using computer it can increase response time a lot (causing response lag) if it is a sony television the technology name is MOTIONFLOW just disable it, other television can have other names, just disable that postprocessing 200hz effect

Poffertjie

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I understand with samsung it is LED Motion plus or Auto motion plus, Disabled both cant really see a diffrence. Its stil doing exactly the same. Im wondering maybe I must just upgrade my GPU?? Thoughts

disabling the motion plus just reduces lag from the time you send the frame out, to the time it is displayed on the TV, it will not fix your frame rate issue.

Ricardois hit the nail on the head in his first post; the GPU you are using is old and was not a high end gaming hard to begin with even when it was new. My bet is that the CPU and ram may also be a bottleneck in the system, but to know for sure we need to know what games you are playing, what settings you are using, as well as what type of OS, CPU, GPU, Ram, and other notible stats of your computer.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Yes probably you will need to upgrade it, you will need to know before doing so if the rest of the system is able to that, sometimes by upgrading GPU will require a better PSU to handle the extra power, and also a better CPU to avoid bottlenecks. i mentioned motionflow problem because some people have response time problems and don't know why... but if you problem is really low performance, yes, you require a better GPU since you went to a higher resolution ambient.

see, if you can't do it now, just lower the resolution to the resolution you were used to play with that computer. it will also work temporary if you don't want to lower game graphical settings. but if you wan't to play at that resolution upgrading GPU is the way to go.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

just warning, that is not possible, ALMOST no television can handle an input with more than 60hz on 1080p, because that is limited by the HDMI cable so it is not possible to set the refresh rate over 60hz on ALMOSt any television out there, and if you do have a MONITOR that can really handle that (Display Port or Dual Link DVI) maximum is 120hz so 200hz is totally out of bounds...

just warning so @OP don't get confused.

Oh, I was not aware. I just assumed that might be the issue, 200hz monitor running at 60hz. Just a guess really :)

Thanks for the info though.

Poffertjie

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hey okay ive got a quad core i5 2.67ghz first gen, 12gb of ram ddr3, got a 1000watt
PSU ,gts250 1gb and running windows 7 64bit. I bought this pc a couple of years ago, So i think it is time for un upgrade I just want to make sure it wil solve this issue :D?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
1000watt psu lol. probably you will not need another unless that one is with problems xD. well your computer don't look bad, if you don't have enough money just upgrading the GPU and later the other components will already increase a lot the Framerate, i would say check over for those GPUS:
680 > 670 > 7870 > 560ti depending on your budget, any of those will handle perfectly 1080p gaming, it will really depend on your budget.

later you can go with an Ivy bridge 3rd gen like the i5 3550 or 3570 and with a 1155 socket motherboard, with that PSU you will probably handle any of the gpus i have mentioned above, and you can even go higher like a 690.

Poffertjie

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Oh yes and I did change the res to 1600x900 which worked but I mean whats the point of the full hd tv then ;)? Yes I was planning to just buy GPU for now and then upgrade the rest. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated sat this whole day reading forums and trying to get a solution. :)

Poffertjie

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
You know what I did some research on this whole LED Motion plus, or Auto motion plus. That you get on Tv's , You mentioned it at the begining aswell the "postprocessing". It was the Motion plus that was causing the issue I had. I played around with it a little bit changed settings etc. Changed the Motion plus setting on the tv and the lag was gone. Turning it off didnt help at all , then I switched the setting to "clear" on the tv itself and boom lag is gone problem solved. Now I stil cant play new games max on full hd but I mean atleast now the laggyness is gone. Its not really lag to have a good explanation of whats really happening go read this. This is what helped me solved this issue. Read all the posts really helped me --->>>

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1742869