Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1st startup help?

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 4:28:07 PM

Hi, tomorrow I will finally have the CPU to complete my 1st build of a pc. Im going to be using a old 500gb HDD for the moment until I get a SSD. The old HDD has a copy of vista 64 bit installed on it and whatever was on my old computer.
I have got a copy of windows 7 64 bit oem that I want to install on this HDD and during install I want to completely format the HDD.
The questions I have are,

1. What is going to happen when I turn the pc on for the 1st time? Will it attempt to load vista from the old HDD that's installed, I won't be able to format this HDD any other way than the windows 7 install.

2. Will I get a chance to go to bios after the POST has finished?

3. What will I have to do during the install of a oem copy of windows 7? Is it any different to normal install and can I choose to custom install and format the drive using the oem copy.

I hope someone can help as tomorrow is the final day after 4 weeks of buying parts in bits and pieces.

More about : 1st startup

a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2012 4:42:12 PM

1. If everything will be connected allright it will go through POST and probably try to load your old Vista which will most likely cause an error.
It is possible that 1st boot device is by default CDROM, so if windows cd will be inserted it will start the installer.
Best option is to turn the PC on and start spamming del key to get to bios. Then make sure boot device sequence is set appropriately.
Another way is to press quick boot menu key - look it up in your manual, it usually is F8 or some other F-key.
However, entering the bios at first run is better option, because you have to set all the parameters up anyway.

2. No, you will have to press reset button or if booting of windows will crash, PC will reset itself.

3. Yes, you can format the drive in the installer.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 4:48:16 PM

If it doesn't do so automatically, immediately go into BIOS upon boot up and change the boot order from 1. HD 2. Optical to 1. Optical 2. HD

Tell it to format when it asks
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 4:49:27 PM

when you get the pc together...start out with putting the cpu..heatsink...ram and video card in and power it up on top of the mb box that it came with..you want to do a first post outside the case. all you need to start the mb is connect the on switch from the case to the mb or a jumper or tuch the two power on pin on the mb with a flat bladed screwdriver. you should see the bios screen. with a keyboard connected hit the key to go into the bios.on the first bios page write down the bios rev that the mb is at...some mb ship with a stock bios that sometime is out of date or needs bug fixes. while in the bios change the boot order from hard drive to cd-rom. then go into the temp monitoring of the mb. let the mb sit there for 5-10 min. watch that the cpu fan is working and that the cpu/gpu temp stay flat...with the stock heat sink and temp in your house a temp range of 30-50c is fine.the lower it is the better. if the temp keeps ramping up or goes real high then you dont have the cpu heat sink on right. power off the mb(easy way turn off the power supply. let the cpu cool down...and check that the heat sink legs are all the way in. (make sure you dry fit the mb when it empty to line up the brass standoffs. i use a small felt pen to color the bottom of the case to mark the 6-9 atx stand off that are needed. (i say 6-9) if you have a min atx you have a few less then the full size 9 by 12 atx mb. the hard part is with the i\o shield in the case it may take two people to screw the mb down onto the stand offs.one you put slight pressure on the mb to line up the screw holes and other person with a magnetic tipped screw driver to screw in the screws.
August 9, 2012 4:51:39 PM

Bejusek said:
2. No, you will have to press reset button or if booting of windows will crash, PC will reset itself.

Thanks for the info.
When you say "pc will reset", do you mean completely reset and have to go through POST again or reset as in it will startup and I'll have a chance to enter bios.

Also, what sort of damaged could be done if it try's to load vista?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 5:02:39 PM

when you boot off of the windows 7 cd...use the advance mode..it take you to your 500g drive..delete all the partion on the 500g hard drive after you backed up your personal data. (music..movie files you want.) then reboot the install of windows 7. it fine that the drive is blank and it will make it own two partions. (small system restore) and the rest as the data partion. it will auto format the partion for you and the install will start. after you install windows and it reboots remove the window 7 cd and have your new mb driver cd or a usb stick with the newest drivers ready.. (mb chipset/sound/network/video card drivers.)
when you boot into windows 7..install the mb drivers first then reboot. then install your network driver next so that windows can start downloading the service packs for windows 7. while it installing the service packs install the video and sound drivers.
you may have to reboot for them to work. as the system is working have hardware monitor running to recheck the gpu and system temps. also make sure you have a anti virus software loaded...when you install flash and other software read what your installing a lot of times now there bundling other browsers or toolbars now with these downloads. a lot of time if you click to fast you end up installing a browser you dont need or want. when all the updates are done and installed. go into windows system device manager and make sure there no missing drivers. you can run memtest and prime95 if you want to stress test the system. before i stress the system i set the system up software wise where i want it and make a drive image with ghost or other free drive clone software..may take one or two dvd to make the image or one 8g usb stick. but it great if the drive craps out it save you time for waiting for all the system 7 patches to download again.
August 9, 2012 5:05:45 PM

Its a new build so dont try and run an old os on it, do a nice fresh install. Build it all and get it ready to go and then double check everything before you go for the first tests, good luck!
August 9, 2012 5:12:38 PM

JTV said:
Its a new build so dont try and run an old os on it, do a nice fresh install. Build it all and get it ready to go and then double check everything before you go for the first tests, good luck!

That's the thing, I don't wanna run the old OS on it. I don't need/want any of the data on it either. I just want a completely clean install.

I was looking at getting all the drivers downloaded tonight but I only have a 2 gb stick. Also, my oem disc says it has service pack one on it. Will it install or will I still have to download from windows.
August 9, 2012 5:16:27 PM

Fair enough. I'm not sure on the oem thing as i dont do oem software etc but i would imagine if its a different manufacturer then it wont work but again i dont know 100% im sure someone here can help you with that.
August 9, 2012 6:22:28 PM

Best answer selected by bendy86.
!