Issues With New EVGA GeForce 9400GT Video Card

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I am having an issue with my new video card, but am not sure if there is a fix to it or not...

I recently purchased an EVGA GeForce 9400 GT graphics card and installed it in my HP MediaCenter M1070N desktop computer. I purchased the card because I wanted to connect my two monitors up to it. The card has two DVI outputs on it, which I used to connect to my two DVI compatible monitors. One of the monitors is a 19" widescreen Gateway monitor (model #FPD1976W), and the other, and old 17" Dell monitor I had lying around. I hooked them both up and want to use them so the Gateway monitor on the left is the main desktop, and the Dell monitor on the right is the secondary and I can drag windows over to it from the left. So, I installed the graphics card, and that went fine. Then, I could not use the driver disc enclosed in the box (b/c it only supports XP and Vista, and I use 7)... so I downloaded the correct and most up to date driver from the EVGA website.

The problem I am having however, is that the monitor on the left (my 19" widescreen Gateway monitor) appears very "zoomed in" and all of the graphics on the screen appear enlarged. However, the Dell monitor on the right appears normal and without a problem. So, I figured that I probably just needed to change the resolution of the Gateway's screen. I right clicked on the desktop and selected "screen resolution". However, from the screen resolution properties screen, I could only select one other resolution other then the one I was currently using, and that one is even more zoomed in and enlarged. I then went into the EVGA control panel and tried to change the resolution there, but was also only presented with the one other resolution in that panel. I have messed with it for about 2 hours now, and have no idea what else to try.

Am I missing some other driver that I need or something? Do I just need to sell the graphics card and try another one? I just can't imagine it just won't work with my monitor, I have never had a problem like this in the past. I would appreciate ANY help I can get concerning this problem. Thanks!
lakeober is offline Reply With Quote

Go to nVidia's web site, get the driver for the card there instead from EVGA. What is the native resolution on the monitor with the issue and what is the resolution it allows you to select? Does it show the proper video card and monitor in the properties?

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Ok, I just went on the nVidia site and downloaded the driver... still having the same issue unfortunately. When I right click on the desktop and select screen resolution, the "screen resolution" setting box comes up like it should. The left monitor which is a 19" Gateway (the one I am having the issue with, and the one I have set as the primary monitor) is listed in the drop down menu as: "1.Generic Non-PnP Monitor" and the monitor on the right, a 17" Dell (which seems to work fine), is listed in the drop down menu as: "Dell 1708FP"

Now, the resolution that the Gateway monitor is currently using is: 1024x768 and appears zoomed in and enlarged. The only other resolution that is available from the Resolution drop down menu, is: 800x600 and is even more zoomed in and enlarged then the one it is currently using.

Lastly, if I go to Control Panel> System and Security> System> Device Manager> Display Adapters Then, underneath the Display Adapters section, is the item named "NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT" and when I double click it and check it's properties... the device status says "This Device is Working Properly". So, it seems like it is installed and is running fine. This is really confusing and I can't figure out why I only have 2 resolution settings. I am typically very good with computers, and troubleshooting problems... but this one has me stumped. Is there something wrong with the fact that the computer is just recognizing the Gateway monitor as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor"? Should it list the brand and model of it, like it does the Dell monitor which works properly? Thanks in advance

*Note: Both monitors are connected to the video card with DVI-D (single link) cables. Both of the outputs on the video card are DVI-I (dual link). I don't think this would have any effect on the problem I am having though*

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

When you say swapping connectors on the card, do you mean putting the Dell monitor into the output that the Gateway monitor is currently plugged into... vice versa? If so, yes I have tried that and it made no difference. I then checked the Gateway support site and they do not have a driver for the monitor. I'm guessing there never was one. The spec page on the monitor shows that the native resolution is: 1440x900
http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7010850R/7010850Rsp3.shtml

Do you think it's just a fluke that it wont work? I guess I can just go buy another card, but I hate to spend another $50+ when it may just not work either.

About the only other thing to try aside from a new video card is to try a DVI-I cable. Just order one online from ebay or www.newegg.com or somewhere, don't get it from a retail store. You'll pay 3-4-5 times what the cable is worth there.

You can also try uninstalling the drivers, removing the card from device manager, and re-installing it fresh.

it a bug with older monitors and windows.under the gen non plug and play setting there should be a box or a tab that says show all res that my monitor can use. on the newer 29x drivers is say customize my video res. you should be able to add higher res to the other monitor that way. if not change the device to a p-n-p or select a monitor that close to the same make and model you have now. (it a old error with windows and crt).
looks like gateway wants people to buy there monitor software to work under windows 7.
http://oem.portrait.com/dtune/gwy/enu/upgrade.html

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Where do I go to find the "gen non plug and play settings". I am at the control panel screen that is titled "screen resolution"... but I don't see anything that says something similar to "show all res that my monitor can use". I don't know if I have that option. Also, I don't know where I would go to change the device to a p-n-p or a monitor that is a similar make and model...

Also, that link you posted say's it supports the model of my monitor. What does that software do exactly? Do you think if I purchased the software it would allow the resolution to be set correctly?

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks so much for taking the time to snap screenshots and help me out. I did that exact thing, and I am still not presented with the correct resolution for that monitor. I'm guessing it just wasn't meant to be... bummer. Hmm... now I'm not sure if I should even try a different dual monitor capable video card. I don't want to lose even more money.

That 9400gt is a very old chip, at least in video card terms. It's about 4 years old.

It should still have detected your monitor with no issues. See if you can borrow another monitor to try with it.

A used 19" LCD monitor from a place like craigslist should cost about $50, if you find that another monitor is OK with the card, maybe replace the monitor.

lakeober

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I left the video card installed in my computer, but was trying to decide what I was going to do concerning this whole issue. Then, one morning (after the card had been installed for about 5 days), I turned on my computer... and the screen looked completely normal. It was the correct resolution, and was how I wanted it all along. I then looked in the "screen resolution" setting page, and the computer had recognized my monitor and showed the Model # and all of it's info. INCREDIBLE!

I have no idea how this happened. I hadn't made any changes prior to turning on the computer. It's really odd... but I'm not gonna complain. Unfortunately, the only bad thing, is when I turn off the computer and turn it back on, all of my desktop icons are in different locations then where I had arranged them prior. It's kind of an annoyance, but I'm willing to deal with it, if my screen resolution is normal now. Thanks for all of your help on this one everyone!