Is a Sound Card Needed?

whosBlu

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I'm Planning to Buy this Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Is a sound card need with this motherboard? Or will i be just fine?

If needed please link so suggestions of sound cards because i haven't did a lot of research on them.

Thanks in Advanced!

-JP

JTV

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Its not "needed" no it has a very capable one onboard, if youre a sound enthusiast or whatever then obviously you might want to look at a dedicated card.

I got a DG and it was absolutely indistinguishable. As far as I know, sound cards are only good for people who need features like a headphone amp or 7.1 surround sound. I've been trying to get someone to do a blind test for a while now, but nobody's yet taken me up on it. If you're willing, TBT, get someone to switch between dedicated sound and the sound card that I assume you have, not telling you which one is on, and see if you can reliably tell the difference.

i used my friends dg 5.1 to listen to my recording of me playing a violin (it was burned on a regular CD in a generic mp3 file @ 320bit rate). on the onboard sound, it sounded normal and nothing out of the ordinary. with a dg 5.1, i can hear a few footsteps in the back because someone walked by the room at the end of the song. i was using a generic pair of apple earbuds. it was also played at the same volume

its not the best comparison i know.

its not too much of a difference but there is a difference.