Is a Sound Card Needed?

I'm Planning to Buy this Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Is a sound card need with this motherboard? Or will i be just fine?

If needed please link so suggestions of sound cards because i haven't did a lot of research on them.

Thanks in Advanced!

-JP
10 answers Last reply
More about sound card needed
  1. Its not "needed" no it has a very capable one onboard, if youre a sound enthusiast or whatever then obviously you might want to look at a dedicated card.
  2. the sound is decent on the boards. if you want to, a asus dg 5.1 sound card for 30 bucks blows away the onboard stuff. most people will notice a difference but most people dont mind the onboard
  3. I say no... Unless you are doing work with sound editing and need it. The modern sound included on mobos is great.
  4. Thanks for the info Guys!
  5. I got a DG and it was absolutely indistinguishable. As far as I know, sound cards are only good for people who need features like a headphone amp or 7.1 surround sound. I've been trying to get someone to do a blind test for a while now, but nobody's yet taken me up on it. If you're willing, TBT, get someone to switch between dedicated sound and the sound card that I assume you have, not telling you which one is on, and see if you can reliably tell the difference.
  6. i can tell the difference. maybe its just me with very sensitive hearing
  7. Please try the blind test. If you can tell the difference without knowing which one's on, I'll believe you completely.
  8. i used my friends dg 5.1 to listen to my recording of me playing a violin (it was burned on a regular CD in a generic mp3 file @ 320bit rate). on the onboard sound, it sounded normal and nothing out of the ordinary. with a dg 5.1, i can hear a few footsteps in the back because someone walked by the room at the end of the song. i was using a generic pair of apple earbuds. it was also played at the same volume

its not the best comparison i know.

its not too much of a difference but there is a difference.
  9. oh and one more thing. i have pretty poor eyesight.
  10. Seriously, the blind test matters. It would also help if the volume were changed more or less at random, as you can't be sure it was the same.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Motherboards Gigabyte Sound Cards Systems