PSA: WoW 14-day trial on PC Gamer DVD

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 2:33:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

For any of you in North America who've been thinking of trying WoW: I
just got the latest issue of PC Gamer in the mail and the DVD it came
with includes a 14-day trial of World of Warcraft, as well as a demo of
Dungeon Siege II.

The trial period for WoW is better than the 10-day guest pass that
shipped with the Collector's Edition. (Funny thing is, I had just sent
my brother my own WoW install CDs with a guest pass yesterday morning,
and then when I come home from work I've got the 14-day trial DVD in my
mailbox!)

I think the PC Gamer issue is number 140- it's NOT the one with Supreme
Commander/Total Annihilation on the cover... it might not be on
newstands yet.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 4:07:20 PM

Josh Mayfield wrote:

>For any of you in North America who've been thinking of trying WoW:

Why bother? Anyone who hasn't done it is way behind the curve on
exploits like the gold dupe. Those who have already quit.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi
Anonymous

Quaestor wrote:
> Josh Mayfield wrote:
>
> >For any of you in North America who've been thinking of trying WoW:
>
> Why bother? Anyone who hasn't done it is way behind the curve on
> exploits like the gold dupe. Those who have already quit.

Oh, did they used to have more than 3.5 million active subscribers?
Because I thought that was new.

http://www.blizzard.com/press/050720.shtml

;)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 1:06:16 AM

On 20 Jul 2005 10:33:40 -0700, Josh Mayfield wrote:

> For any of you in North America who've been thinking of trying WoW: I
> just got the latest issue of PC Gamer in the mail and the DVD it came
> with includes a 14-day trial of World of Warcraft

14 days is the right time to get addicted, too. :)  Blizzard is doing a good
job at marketing. Wish their support was anywhere near that quality.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 2:27:20 AM

Thusly Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>14 days is the right time to get addicted, too. :)  Blizzard is doing a good
>job at marketing. Wish their support was anywhere near that quality.

Me, I wish there was a public demo.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:27:20 +0200, Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Me, I wish there was a public demo.

That probably comes next, when they are done grabbing the money that they
can get from the magazines for the permission to put the game + trial on
the cover disc. When sales of the boxed version have dropped below a
certain limit, I'd not be surprised if they offered the game for download
including a way to get a CD key online (PDF manual). Though I doubt that'll
happen before an expansion pack is out (boxed).

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 3:09:13 AM

On 20 Jul 2005 13:54:01 -0700, Josh Mayfield wrote:

> Oh, did they used to have more than 3.5 million active subscribers?

The gold duping bug is new, though shouldn't be surprising to anyone who
has played "that other Blizzard game". WoW is quite fun, and it's actually
an excellent game, but unless you're into repetitive PvP it doesn't offer
much in the long-term right now. I cancelled my account last week. Might
come back later, but right now there is not enough end game content to keep
me interest. Still, a good game. Good more value out of it than of most
games these days.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 7:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Uzytkownik "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> On 20 Jul 2005 13:54:01 -0700, Josh Mayfield wrote:
>
> > Oh, did they used to have more than 3.5 million active subscribers?
>
> The gold duping bug is new, though shouldn't be surprising to anyone who
> has played "that other Blizzard game". WoW is quite fun, and it's actually
> an excellent game, but unless you're into repetitive PvP it doesn't offer
> much in the long-term right now. I cancelled my account last week. Might
> come back later, but right now there is not enough end game content to
keep
> me interest. Still, a good game. Good more value out of it than of most
> games these days.
>
> M.

Hm, I'm at 60lvl for about 3 weeks and really have a lot of to do. Molten
Core and Onxyia runs kept me going for last 3 weeks, now we have another end
game instance - Blakcwing Lair that is really challenging a takes a lot of
time to progress through it. Add PvP and it turns out, that there is planety
of things to do with your guildmates. But it is true, that for casual gamer
or person in small guild, end game in WoW may be quite boring after a while.
:/  But to be honest - MMORPG in their own structure rarely offer
single-player end game content. You should know that before buying such game
:)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 10:12:53 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:09:39 +0200, Mandella wrote:

> You should know that before buying such game
> :)

I had a level 60 for four months. Also, Ultima Online, which is "such a
game", too, kept me attracted for nearly six years, and I had two accounts.
It is not the nature of the game, it's the design of the game.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 10:33:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I'm never worried about the end game in a MMORPG, basically because,
I've never been there :)
I prefer playing several characters at the same time instead of always
the same one. In WoW I play 4 characters, I've had the game for like 4
months already and my levels are:
38, 32, 29, 27, 24. I'm not interested in PvP at all, when I get a
char to 60 and do their quests, it's game over for that character, but
there are 4 more to play :)  So I see myself playing WoW for another 4
months easily... well, except maybe if I get into beta of D&D online,
Vanguard or City of Villains *fingers crossed*
July 21, 2005 11:20:29 AM

Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>, Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:37:40
+0200, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:27:20 +0200, Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>
>> Me, I wish there was a public demo.
>
>That probably comes next, when they are done grabbing the money that they
>can get from the magazines for the permission to put the game + trial on
>the cover disc. When sales of the boxed version have dropped below a
>certain limit, I'd not be surprised if they offered the game for download
>including a way to get a CD key online (PDF manual). Though I doubt that'll
>happen before an expansion pack is out (boxed).
>
>M.

Who needs shtinkin 14-day trials when a gem like GW is completely free after
initial purchase! >;-) I could kick myself for wasting my money on the EQ2
grindstone back in April - I should've got GW. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid!!!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 8:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 21, 2005 8:40:25 PM

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> writes:

> Who needs shtinkin 14-day trials when a gem like GW is completely free after
> initial purchase! >;-)

Everyone who knows GW isn't a MMORPG but a PvP-oriented remake of
Phantasy Star Online?
July 22, 2005 9:59:34 AM

Thus spake Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com>, 21 Jul 2005
16:40:25 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> writes:
>
>> Who needs shtinkin 14-day trials when a gem like GW is completely free after
>> initial purchase! >;-)
>
>Everyone who knows GW isn't a MMORPG but a PvP-oriented remake of
>Phantasy Star Online?

Tell me exactly how it differs from something like EQ2 (ignoring high level
raid content which could still be added on to GW down the track quite
easily). Go on, I dare ya Tor. ;-p

Do you really think running past/into players outside of towns a mmog makes?
Because that's all that's left...oh yeah - & spawn camping - musn't forget
THAT gem! ;-p

In fact, I can jump from any server to *any* server in GW & play with
friends all over - doesn't get much more massively multi than that!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 9:59:35 AM

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in

> In fact, I can jump from any server to *any* server in GW & play with
> friends all over - doesn't get much more massively multi than that!

And it's as easy as a drop-down menu. No logging out or logging in. Just a
drop down menu.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Who needs shtinkin 14-day trials when a gem like GW is completely free after
>> initial purchase! >;-)
>
>Everyone who knows GW isn't a MMORPG but a PvP-oriented remake of
>Phantasy Star Online?

....not that it is actually PvP oriented unless you want it to be, or
looks or plays *anything* like Phantasy Star Online, but whatever.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 8:24:23 PM

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> writes:

> And it's as easy as a drop-down menu. No logging out or logging in. Just a
> drop down menu.

Exactly: As easy as PSO. Which also has the same instancing of all
non-hub content as GuildWars, and not the persistent world of a true
MMOG. Only the characters are persistent. Not the world. Even though
you get different "versions" of the instanced zones in the PvE game
depending on how far along the story you are.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 8:51:03 PM

Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> And it's as easy as a drop-down menu. No logging out or logging in. Just a
>> drop down menu.
>
>Exactly: As easy as PSO. Which also has the same instancing of all
>non-hub content as GuildWars, and not the persistent world of a true
>MMOG. Only the characters are persistent. Not the world. Even though
>you get different "versions" of the instanced zones in the PvE game
>depending on how far along the story you are.

I don't quite understand that criticism.

Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?

And it's not a MMORPG because relatively little of the content is
persistent and shared and most of it is instanced, while other MMORPGs
have relatively little content that's instance and most of it is
persistent and shared.
That seems like a quantitative not a qualitative difference to me.

Even ignoring that I must've missed the memo where "persistent world"
was made THE defining character for MMORPGs, rather than simply being
massively multiplayer, online, and an rpg.

What I can say, though, is that it looks and feels like a MMORPG, and
if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and,
once roasted, tastes like a duck, I really don't see why one can't
refer to it as a duck.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
July 22, 2005 9:07:09 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:51:03 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
>it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?

Because you only play with/against a handful of players. The hubs have
large amounts of players, the but missions don't.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 11:17:33 PM

In article <nn02e1hi9ikfgjkjfv2durc4i1th5fnv7k@4ax.com>, Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>>> And it's as easy as a drop-down menu. No logging out or logging in. Just a
>>> drop down menu.
>>Exactly: As easy as PSO. Which also has the same instancing of all
>>non-hub content as GuildWars, and not the persistent world of a true
>>MMOG. Only the characters are persistent. Not the world. Even though
>>you get different "versions" of the instanced zones in the PvE game
>>depending on how far along the story you are.
>
> I don't quite understand that criticism.
>
> Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
> it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?

It is either massively multiplayer, or and RPG, but not both at once.
The hubs are MM, but are for trading and chatting, not playing.
The playing areas are not MM.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 23, 2005 4:24:17 AM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> I don't quite understand that criticism.
>
> Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
> it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?
>
> And it's not a MMORPG because relatively little of the content is
> persistent and shared and most of it is instanced, while other MMORPGs
> have relatively little content that's instance and most of it is
> persistent and shared.
> That seems like a quantitative not a qualitative difference to me.
>
> Even ignoring that I must've missed the memo where "persistent world"
> was made THE defining character for MMORPGs, rather than simply being
> massively multiplayer, online, and an rpg.
>
> What I can say, though, is that it looks and feels like a MMORPG, and
> if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and,
> once roasted, tastes like a duck, I really don't see why one can't
> refer to it as a duck.

It's not any more massively multiplayer than Diablo II other than the fact
that you can be "in game" while you're in the chat rooms in GW, in the
sense that the towns are "part of the game". But the actual exploring and
stuff is JUST like Diablo II - limited parties, each on their own
server/instance. So if you consider D2 to be an MMORPG I guess you can
throw GW into it to, but if you don't think D2 is one, I hardly see how GW
is much more qualified to join the genre.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
July 23, 2005 1:48:24 PM

Thus spake Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>, Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:07:09 +0100,
Anno Domini:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:51:03 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
><mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
>>it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?
>
>Because you only play with/against a handful of players. The hubs have
>large amounts of players, the but missions don't.

We covered that already Andy. Keep up mate.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

July 23, 2005 2:02:29 PM

Thus spake Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com>, 22 Jul 2005
16:24:23 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> writes:
>
>> And it's as easy as a drop-down menu. No logging out or logging in. Just a
>> drop down menu.
>
>Exactly: As easy as PSO. Which also has the same instancing of all
>non-hub content as GuildWars, and not the persistent world of a true
>MMOG. Only the characters are persistent. Not the world. Even though
>you get different "versions" of the instanced zones in the PvE game
>depending on how far along the story you are.

Which part of EQ2, for example, pray tell, was 'persistent' out in the
zones? All the raws respawned randomly every 10 mins, anything the players
did to affect the game world wasn't persistent (certainly not at low-mid
levels)...if it really comes down to bumping into ppl outside of towns then
I think you're kidding yourself. I can count on one hand how many pickup
groups I formed with outside of town & on 1 or 2 fingers how many turned out
to be *fun*. So you can meet players in Stormhold in EQ2 - big deal. I can
meet other players near *any* *safe* town/outpost in GW along the way & it
doesn't take me 6 hours to run there ffs! CoH was 95% instanced missions, 5%
dance parties - is that not a mmog now as well? Tor, I think yer just
defending grinding, spawn camping, elitist high-level content & other
bullshit OCD content in mmogs which are a dying relic of the past, we can
only hope.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 23, 2005 6:57:20 PM

Thusly Paul Murray <paul@murray.net> Spake Unto All:

>> I don't quite understand that criticism.
>>
>> Guildwars is massively multiplayer, it's online, and it's an RPG - but
>> it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?
>
>It is either massively multiplayer, or and RPG, but not both at once.
>The hubs are MM, but are for trading and chatting, not playing.
>The playing areas are not MM.

In a Guildwars PvE mission your party can be any 8 people out of the
entire population of Guildwars players, as you have free mobility
between servers. Raid instances has not yet been added to Guildwars,
but is "being considered" for an expansion.

A search of the net suggests that in a World of Warcraft quest, your
party can be any 5 people out of the 5000 or so on your server. In
raid instances, you can be any 40 players out of the 5000 or so on
your server.

I honestly don't see all that much of a difference here either.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 23, 2005 8:03:59 PM

>I am just saying GW isn't a MMOG because it isn't "massive".

Can you say "pointless sub-dividing of categories"?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 12:10:55 AM

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
> Why group? Other than the fact that GW *forces* you to? For some
> quests it's an advantage, yes, but it's not mandatory.

Actually, GW *doesn't* force you to group, at least for the PvE game. Of
course you probably won't get very far if you don't, but if you feel the
need to play Conan or somesuch you're perfectly able to.

Most of the rest of what you say is simply opinions, and we all know about
those, hehe.

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> A search of the net suggests that in a World of Warcraft quest, your
> party can be any 5 people out of the 5000 or so on your server.

And in non-instanced content - which is most of it - these play in the
same world as other parties or soloers.

> In raid instances, you can be any 40 players out of the 5000 or so
> on your server.

"Raid instances" are not the major part of WoW. They are the _only_
part of GW. The hubs are just chat systems with a 3D interface.

> I honestly don't see all that much of a difference here either.

There are more differences between the PvP-oriented hub/instance Guild
Wars (Diablo 3) and the PvE-oriented persistent world of WoW.

A case in point: Respawning. Since WoW content is shared among a lot
of players, it needs to respawn (mobs and containers mostly). This
does not occur in GW, except for the resetting of an entire zone if
you travel to a hub and reenter the zone.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 5:44:32 AM

Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>MMOG because it isn't "massive". GW reduces the grind because it's
>really just there to unlock skills for the meat of the game, which is
>Quake (the pure PvP part of GW) with spells.

Sorry, but that's complete rubbish.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
July 24, 2005 1:29:28 PM

Thus spake Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com>, 24 Jul 2005
00:42:42 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> A search of the net suggests that in a World of Warcraft quest, your
>> party can be any 5 people out of the 5000 or so on your server.
>
>And in non-instanced content - which is most of it - these play in the
>same world as other parties or soloers.
>
>> In raid instances, you can be any 40 players out of the 5000 or so
>> on your server.
>
>"Raid instances" are not the major part of WoW. They are the _only_
>part of GW. The hubs are just chat systems with a 3D interface.
>
>> I honestly don't see all that much of a difference here either.
>
>There are more differences between the PvP-oriented hub/instance Guild
>Wars (Diablo 3) and the PvE-oriented persistent world of WoW.
>
>A case in point: Respawning. Since WoW content is shared among a lot
>of players, it needs to respawn (mobs and containers mostly). This
>does not occur in GW, except for the resetting of an entire zone if
>you travel to a hub and reenter the zone.

And respawning the same content/boss/resource is more
realistic/satisfying....how? It's just a kludge to get around what is NOT in
fact a persistent world, but rather a cyclic system to mask what are
fundamental design flaws that completely break immersion for me.
Mobs/NPCs/resources just teleporting into view/on top of me - yeah, not top
of the list of mmog features I'm looking for.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 3:14:06 PM

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> writes:

> And respawning the same content/boss/resource is more
> realistic/satisfying....how?

When did I say it was realistic or satisfying? It's a feature of
"real" MMORPGs; it is catering to the massive part of it (the first M)
that GW doesn't need to concern itself with, being a hand-holding
simplification - a content-on-demand experience (PvE like a
single-player RPG, complete with NPC party members).

Ideally, mobs killed in MMORPGs should stay dead, but sadly combat is
nearly the only content in such games, so people would run out of
things to do.
July 28, 2005 4:56:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-07-28, Thomas J. Boschloo <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> My friend has his own account and password that I don't know. I didn't
> give him my CDkey at all. He just installed WoW, activated the Guest
> Pass, downloaded the 1.6.0 patch and wend playing.
>
> I actually helped him out a lot this week.
>
> He is now a level 14 or 15 hunter and it would be a shame for him to
> start over again. I have been keeping up with him and am now at level 15
> 1/2 in the same region he is.

15 is achievable in a single night easy. Buy a copy of the game
and link the CD key to that account and you're done. For more
info check WoW's website.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 29, 2005 1:40:34 AM

Gerry Quinn wrote:
> In article <42E8E5BC.1080902@hccnet.nl>, nospam@hccnet.nl says...
<s>
>>The Creditcard thing was sort of a letdown for me since I don't own one.
>>(lots of people in Europe don't AFAIK)
>

> I suspect it's a combination of inertia selling (you're half signed up
> anyway at the end of the trial, and it's as easy to stay as leave) and
> an assessment that those who are unwilling or unable to give one are
> probably not real potential customers anyway.

If it wasn't possible to get prepaid cards, I wouldn't be playing the
game now. I have a healty distrust of credit cards, moreso on the
internet :-)

Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
!