I'm upgrading my system and there is two option looking good for almost the same price here (Canada) ; around 1500$.
One is Z77 the other X79, which one is the best? Anything i should change?
(case, psu, fan and hard drive i already have)
Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: 1500 Before Rebates; Before Shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard , CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD
SLI or Crossfire: Yes (next year)
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
Additional Comments: Post modified after FinneousPJ comments, thanks!
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: old motherboard broke.
Which tool is the best .... a hammer, a socket wrench or a screwdriver ?
Kinds depends on whether ya wanna bang in a nail, take out a bolt or unscrew a phillips head doesn't it ?
We had gold medals won by 1/100th of a second in these olympics...... how much is being "on top" even by a small margin worth to you ? Do you need a Porche to get you to work 5 days a week ..... no but it sure is a lot more fun to drive. Whether or not you invest copious amounts of your disposable income in a few % points of performance is not for us to decide.
If gaming, yes the X79 will outperform the IB and SB but the advantage is small for the cost difference
1. Sabertooth has excellent OC abilities and 5 year warranty
2. 3570k will give you 95-97% of the performance of the 3770kin games...is that worth $100, you decide
3. Phanteks tops the Noc thermally, aesthetically and has 5 times the warranty
4. Get 2 sets of the 1.35 RAM if ya think it will show some benefit..... the low voltage tho will reduce the thermal load on the CPU's memory controller.
6. The 670 above (1770.8 fps in Guru 3D's game test suite) at $0.24 per frame beats even the 7970 Ghz Edition (1763.2 fps) at $0.27 per frame for less money ..... and it overclocks better.
7. If not going for big OC's on the CPU and twin GPU's, then a TX750 or XFX Core Edition 750 will do just fine
I end up with an X79 system:
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Intel Core i7-3820
XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Sandisk Extreme 240gb
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo
I have keep my old ocz gamexstream power supply and antec p180 case.
The system is running smooth and without noticeable noise.