Video capture card for streaming?

region887

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I've been recently I've been thinking about trying to improve my computer for streaming by possibly getting a video capture card. I've been looking on newegg and there's some for ~$100 that seem pretty good, although my main worry is that all of them have negative comments about crashes/freezes/not working with xsplit. Are these video capture cards even worthwhile or should I just save up and upgrade my processor/mobo or whatever? My issue that I CAN stream currently at 720p with dxtory, but depending on the game I get pretty low frame rates. I can stream League of Legends/Dota 2 on highest settings with a 30 fps with a few spikes, SC2 on low/medium with textures on high at 30 fps as well (although big battles can be spiky), but for example GW2 I could not stream at all this past beta weekend (first I thought it was drivers, tried to update, still got <20 fps and crashed twice). Now maybe this is because the game isn't optimized but either way I'd like to stream it in the future at a comfortable 30 fps.

My current specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

So I guess my questions are:
1) Are video capture cards worth it in the short run, or should I just save and upgrade to an i7?
2) How big of a change would I realistically have upgrading with a video capture card with my current computer? Would I be able to stream at 720p 60 fps? Could I go up to 1080p with 30/60 fps?

RussK1

Splendid
Your specs looks like it will handle HD playback fine also it's recording... recording while gaming is another story.

Start by OC'ing the 965 a wee bit since you'll need the power to broadcast and record. Also, HDD is the most important factor... if it has slow write speeds you're doomed for low quality recording and poor performance while doing it. And live streaming at the same time?

Hauppauge makes some good stuff. Also MSi predator is pretty good at recording (better than Fraps).

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/predator.htm