can't load w2k w/ raid 0

G

i'm having troulbe installing windows when my hard drives are plugged into the raid controler on my a7v MB. the array is defined but when i get to the message "windows is detecting hardware configuration..." it just hangs. i haven't tried with the boot disks yet (just booted from the cd) nor have i flashed my bios, but i don't see how these could be the problem.

TIA,
De

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

G

during windows installation (initial setup) or before? if during windows installation it doesn't get that far if before i'm a moron.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
When you first boot to the CD it should say "Press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" at the bottom of the screen ....

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

it was late and i was tired but i believe the first message i get was the one i originally posted. i believe i have seen the mentioned message in previous installations (white text with blue background), but it doesn't get that far this time around (white text black background top of screen).

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Have you had windows 2000 on this machine prior? Because what I'm thinking is that it has a problem with your hardware in your system. I had a similar issue with the onboard cache on my system and it wouldn't load untill I disabled it in the BIOS.

You may want to call Microsoft, as bad as that sounds!

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

w2k is on one of my hard drives right now. it boots up ok when it is plugged into the normal ide controller, but when plugged into the raid connectors the installation is a no go.

would prefer to avoid calling microsoft, but if i must i must.

G

yep... the array is defined and both drives are set as master on seperate channels.

the_Rainman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
DeSilentio, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I had the exact same problem (computer freezes on white text message on black background) with my KT7A-Raid mobo. I could not for the life of me install Win2K Pro on a Raid-0 configuration. But 98SE installed just fine!

The problem: the Raid controller is recognized by the operating system as a 'SCSI' device. And in my system, I also had a PCI SCSI card (Adaptec AHA-2920C) for my CD-RW drive. Well, this card caused a huge conflict in the system. Once I took out the card, Win2K installed perfectly on the Raid-0 configuration. Now, I haven't tried installing a newer SCSI card yet as I ended up installing the CD-RW on another computer, but others have suggested that a newer SCSI card should be more compatible with my mobo.

Now, I'm not sure if you have a SCSI card in your system or not, but at any rate, you are definitely having a hardware conflict with something. My suggestion is to have the bare minimum hardware in your system first and install Win2K on it (0-Raided, of course). Start out with just your mobo, ram, video card, mouse and keyboard. If Win2K installs with just these components, then install each additional peripheral (ie. sound card, network card, etc.) one at a time afterwards. You should be able to come across the conflicting hardware thru this step-by-step approach.

Good luck!

G

interesting... i have a 2940UW scsi card installed on my machine that could very well be the problem. unfortunately both my cd-r and my dvd-rom are both scsi, so i don't know how i'll load win2k without my scsi card. i'll be very upset if i have to buy a new scsi card. maybe if i flash the bios of the scsi card and MB before i install W2k on the raid channel it might work.

will have to wait till next week to try... just fried my processor :( and got to wait for a new one.

G

not that anyone is still reading this thread but i tried updating the bios of my motherboard and my scsi card and it didn't solve the problem. i still haven't tried booting from the floppies as i am very limited in time. hopefully tomorrow maybe tonight. very frustrating as i should not and will not buy a new scsi card just so i can maybe get the onboard raid controller to work.

the_Rainman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
hey, i've been waiting to hear how it went for you. but i guess you're still at it. after thinking about it some more, i'm very positive that it's the SCSI card. updating the bios doesn't do anything when you have an older SCSI card. it's one of two choices now: (1) buy a newer SCSI card or (2) disable the RAID and just use the mobo like any other.

d'ems the breaks!

G

i made some boot disks from the W2k cd last night and i was able to get past the black screen and start to install as normal. however i didn't copy the raid drivers to a floppy disk and it wouldn't let me copy them from a cd so i'll have to try again later. i have no time tonight, but i think it should work.

the_Rainman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
so you were able to get past the black screen with the SCSI card installed still? or did you remove the card first before trying the floppies?

G

the scsi card was still in there. just put the raid drivers on another disk and everything installed fine. strange.

the_Rainman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
really strange. i had tried the same thing before and i kept freezing up. well, not every piece of hardware is going to be compatible.

Yep. I found that it wanted a floppy disk for the RAID drivers. We're talking yesterday, so I couldn't reply to above posts. I just copied the mobo RAID drivers from CD to floppy and it worked!

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: