Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Longest Shutter for moon shot

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 30, 2005 5:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

6 seconds max
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:26:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Chris <cka691@alltel.net> wrote:
|| 6 seconds max


depends on the phase of the moon. I have shot good pix
as fast as 1/100 of a full moon.

--
--
"Don't curse darkness--light a candle." -- Chinese proverb
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:51:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Chris wrote:

> 6 seconds max

If you mess with ISO and aperture, you could go longer
than 6 seconds, BUT the moon is a moving target. It
will blur if your exposure time is too long.

Unless you have a mount that can keep the camera pointed at the
moon and track it across the sky, the exposure time will be
limited. The moons movement will cause motion blur.

But.. You can't arbitrarily say six seconds. It all depends on
the focal length you're using.. Longer focal lengths have a
narrower field of view which makes the movement more apparent.

You'd probably have motion blur if you were using a 600mm lens
with a doubler at six seconds.. I wouldn't go that long
at that focal length.

FWIW, I usually shoot between 1/90 and 1/250 at ISO 100
depending on the phase of the moon.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 30, 2005 10:09:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Chris" <cka691@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:kd59h15upmr5u5jjeldtof7qp86h9v98lc@4ax.com...
>6 seconds max
Use the sunny 16 rule for shots of the moon. The moon is after all an
object illuminated by sunlight.

Use the moony 8 rule for shots by moonlight.
Jim
August 31, 2005 1:42:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

For a full moon in summer (low to the horizon, and probable high haze) I
find f5.6 at a shutter speed mathing the ISO (1/100th for 100 ISO) is a good
starting place. In winter with the moon high and no haze f11 or even 16.
Always bracket of course.
6 seconds will give a blur instead of the lunar surface.

Full moon shots - ie: landscapes under the full moon start at about 6
minutes in winter, up to as much as 30 minutes in summer. Again - Bracket.
Here is an article on shooting under moonlight.
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mmlongood2.htm...

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html

"Chris" <cka691@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:kd59h15upmr5u5jjeldtof7qp86h9v98lc@4ax.com...
> 6 seconds max
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:28:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:


> Use the sunny 16 rule for shots of the moon. The moon is after all an
> object illuminated by sunlight.
>


It's also as dark as an asphalt driveway. Human esthetics demand that you
overexpose by several stops to make it look almost white.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:59:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Look closely and spot why this shot is special. The photographer was very
surprised.

http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/369

Some of the exif data is here:

http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/372

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

*Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of Adobe
Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html

"Chris" <cka691@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:kd59h15upmr5u5jjeldtof7qp86h9v98lc@4ax.com...
>6 seconds max
September 1, 2005 1:34:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:58 GMT
"Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote:

> Look closely and spot why this shot is special. The photographer was very
> surprised.
>
> http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/369

Um, uh, duh, caption says something about a plane?

(Just a guess... ;^)

Jeff
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I can only imagine the sense of amazement Andy experienced when he looked at
the image for the first time on a big monitor.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

*Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of Adobe
Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html

*Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html


"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:ag8ch11192e8bgg653tbehaoirgr2pquke@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:58 GMT
> "Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote:
>
>> Look closely and spot why this shot is special. The photographer was very
>> surprised.
>>
>> http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/369
>
> Um, uh, duh, caption says something about a plane?
>
> (Just a guess... ;^)
>
> Jeff
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:40:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Digital Photography Now wrote:
> I can only imagine the sense of amazement Andy experienced when he
> looked at the image for the first time on a big monitor.
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com
>
> *Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of
> Adobe Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html
>
> *Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html
>
>
> "Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> news:ag8ch11192e8bgg653tbehaoirgr2pquke@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:58 GMT
>> "Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Look closely and spot why this shot is special. The photographer
>>> was very surprised.
>>>
>>> http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/369
>>
>> Um, uh, duh, caption says something about a plane?
>>
>> (Just a guess... ;^)
>>
>> Jeff

Took most of an evening at my window earlier this summer to get this
shot of a Boeing climbing out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport as
it crossed the moon. Amazing (read: 'frustrating') how many
'near-misses' there were...

http://bobqat.com/2005-06-20_Boeing_Moon.jpg

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

That's really good, Bob! Perseverance was well worth while!

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

*Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of Adobe
Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html

*Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html



"Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net> wrote in message
news:C5idnekEKui8sIveRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> Digital Photography Now wrote:
>> I can only imagine the sense of amazement Andy experienced when he
>> looked at the image for the first time on a big monitor.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> Digital Photography Now
>> http://dpnow.com
>>
>> *Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of
>> Adobe Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html
>>
>> *Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html
>>
>>
>> "Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
>> news:ag8ch11192e8bgg653tbehaoirgr2pquke@4ax.com...
>>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:58 GMT
>>> "Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Look closely and spot why this shot is special. The photographer
>>>> was very surprised.
>>>>
>>>> http://dpnow.com/bb/general.pl/frames=n/read/369
>>>
>>> Um, uh, duh, caption says something about a plane?
>>>
>>> (Just a guess... ;^)
>>>
>>> Jeff
>
> Took most of an evening at my window earlier this summer to get this shot
> of a Boeing climbing out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport as it
> crossed the moon. Amazing (read: 'frustrating') how many 'near-misses'
> there were...
>
> http://bobqat.com/2005-06-20_Boeing_Moon.jpg
>
> Bob ^,,^
>
!