Sign in with
Your question

Need help connecting mobo to cx600v2

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 7:19:05 PM

edit: moved this to this thread

Hi, I am putting together a pc for the first time and I bought this mobo and this psu. Now i am having trouble connecting the 8 pin 'eatx12v1' as its called on the mobo. I think i the psu doesnt have the connector i need.

I dont know if I am using the right terminology here, but I think i have 2x pci-e power connectors and a 4x4 power connector. I just googled but cant seem to find the answer, can anyone help me out?

just found something, could this be te solution? PCI-E to ATX12V Cable Adapter

pics:
motherboard connections
pci-e connector of which i have two
4x4 connector (dont really know what this is for)
August 9, 2012 8:20:05 PM

Some power supplies come with a hybrid motherboard power connector. Take a look at some of the 12pin connectors coming from the PSU and see if any of them have a split in them at the 4th pin mark. Chances are there is one and you can separate that 12pin into an 8pin and a 4pin connector.
August 9, 2012 8:34:43 PM

airanp said:
Some power supplies come with a hybrid motherboard power connector. Take a look at some of the 12pin connectors coming from the PSU and see if any of them have a split in them at the 4th pin mark. Chances are there is one and you can separate that 12pin into an 8pin and a 4pin connector.

it doesnt have a 12pin connector it has the following connectors:
6x sata power
4x molex
2x pci-e
1x 4x4 power
Related resources
August 9, 2012 8:46:53 PM

the 4+4 connector should work in there

might be worth asking someone else, but it should be the same
August 9, 2012 8:52:37 PM

carowden said:
the 4+4 connector should work in there

might be worth asking someone else, but it should be the same

The 4x4 would be your best bet as long as it fits in just right. I would definately consult the manual (I know, I rarely read them myself) but it should explain how to connect power to the motherboard, be it breaking apart a 12 pin or putting together two 4 pin. But as carowden stated above, it should work, but make sure it fits right and I would also suggest consulting at least one more person about it :) 
August 9, 2012 9:20:22 PM

airanp said:
The 4x4 would be your best bet as long as it fits in just right. I would definately consult the manual (I know, I rarely read them myself) but it should explain how to connect power to the motherboard, be it breaking apart a 12 pin or putting together two 4 pin. But as carowden stated above, it should work, but make sure it fits right and I would also suggest consulting at least one more person about it :) 

I tried the 4x4 pin, but I cant create the shape that the motherboard has, the 4x4 doesnt fit..
August 9, 2012 9:28:29 PM

Quote:
• The ATX power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism in order
to support either a 24-pin or a 20-pin socket on the motherboard.
• The EPS12V power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism in order to
support either an 8-pin socket or a 4-pin “P4/12V” socket on the motherboard.

According to the manual for the PSU the only two cables are the 24pin ATX Power connector and the 8pin EPS12V cable. If that 8pin doesn't work then yes the adapter you were looking at may be the only option you have given the PSU MB combo you have chosen.
August 9, 2012 9:39:47 PM

airanp said:
Quote:
• The ATX power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism in order
to support either a 24-pin or a 20-pin socket on the motherboard.
• The EPS12V power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism in order to
support either an 8-pin socket or a 4-pin “P4/12V” socket on the motherboard.

According to the manual for the PSU the only two cables are the 24pin ATX Power connector and the 8pin EPS12V cable. If that 8pin doesn't work then yes the adapter you were looking at may be the only option you have given the PSU MB combo you have chosen.

Thanks for the help.

Do you perhaps also know the correct name of the cable I am looking for, I cant seem to find the adapter in the Netherlands. The mobo says 'eatx12v1' but that doesn't give me much result. I'm looking for a store to where I can get it within 24h, in the Netherlands. But i dont know what exactly I'm looking for, can you clarify the exact cable name?

btw, do you think i can 'adapt' the pci cable to 8pin without any problems?
August 9, 2012 9:55:39 PM

More opinions are welcome
August 9, 2012 10:03:15 PM

After doing a little more digging on eatx12v1 I came across numerous posts on overclocking forums that suggest they are simply utilizing a 4-pin connector aligned with pin 1 on the eatx12v1 connection and it is working just fine for them. Everything I have read about it says that the eatx12v1 8-pin power conneciton is based on needs from back in the day with dual processor server boards, and as you have purchased a, albeit a single processor, server motherboard it leads me to believe that if you did just use a 4-pin connector aligned properly with pin 1 that you should be fine.
August 9, 2012 11:18:45 PM

airanp said:
After doing a little more digging on eatx12v1 I came across numerous posts on overclocking forums that suggest they are simply utilizing a 4-pin connector aligned with pin 1 on the eatx12v1 connection and it is working just fine for them. Everything I have read about it says that the eatx12v1 8-pin power conneciton is based on needs from back in the day with dual processor server boards, and as you have purchased a, albeit a single processor, server motherboard it leads me to believe that if you did just use a 4-pin connector aligned properly with pin 1 that you should be fine.

thank I think I got it now, although it doesn't keep restarting like without the 4pin cable connected, it now gives me 4 beeps as soon as I start it. Any idea what might cause this? All the parts are new. I don't have a graphics card nor drive of any kind connected. The only things I used are the case, RAM, mobo and psu. I tried reinserting the ram and tried both of them individually .
August 9, 2012 11:24:11 PM

kevinsky11 said:
thank I think I got it now, although it doesn't keep restarting like without the 4pin cable connected, it now gives me 4 beeps as soon as I start it. Any idea what might cause this? All the parts are new. I don't have a graphics card nor drive of any kind connected. The only things I used are the case, RAM, mobo and psu. I tried reinserting the ram and tried both of them individually .

Before powering it all on again I would highly suggest having all the components installed first.once you have the ram/hdd/psu/mb/cpu put together I would try turning it on again. If the MB has built in graphics dont worry about vid card just yet but if it doesnt go ahead and put one in there if you have it. The beeping is an error message, but it could be telling you hey where is the cpu, or where is the hdd.
August 9, 2012 11:36:36 PM

airanp said:
Before powering it all on again I would highly suggest having all the components installed first.once you have the ram/hdd/psu/mb/cpu put together I would try turning it on again. If the MB has built in graphics dont worry about vid card just yet but if it doesnt go ahead and put one in there if you have it. The beeping is an error message, but it could be telling you hey where is the cpu, or where is the hdd.

At first I had everything connected, then after first boot, it gave me 4 beeps, so i googled for that. I found that this error usually means that the mobo is broken or one of the components connected to it. So I tried to disconnect as much as possible to rule out the other parts, but still the 4 beeps.
ps. tried reinserting the battery on the mobo as well
August 9, 2012 11:43:43 PM

Is it just 4 beeps total or was it a series of beeps? and have you checked the manufacture website for your motherboard referencing beep codes? You are correct that it means something is wrong, but usually there is a list of all the beep codes for a particular computer or in your situation, building your own, I would think you could look at the motherboard website.
August 10, 2012 7:40:28 AM

airanp said:
Is it just 4 beeps total or was it a series of beeps? and have you checked the manufacture website for your motherboard referencing beep codes? You are correct that it means something is wrong, but usually there is a list of all the beep codes for a particular computer or in your situation, building your own, I would think you could look at the motherboard website.

As soon as I turn it on it beeps 4 short, then after like 20-30sec it again beeps 4 times, it keeps repeating this.
I searched for a list of beep codes for Asus but cant seem to find one, isn't it the bios type I should search beep codes for?

edit: just search the manual, nothing about beep codes
August 10, 2012 11:12:27 AM

made a new thread , a little more specific to the 4 beeps problem
!