Wierd Display Problem (2)

basil439

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

OK, It was not loose connection. But I figured out how to correct the problem whenever it happens: (1) Somehow login in safe mode (normal booting gives BSoD). (2) Run Prime95 while covering the fan exhaust with a pillow :D . Wait for CPU to shutdown. Tadaa, the problem is gone.
It's as if something get reset.Till now the problem has only appeared when I play FIFA 12.Any Ideas?

PS: Sorry for "reopening" a closed thread this way (don't know any other).The original thread is here

Solution
Well after what you have stated I would say something is on its way out and it looks like it might be the MOBO or your CPU. If you can't run memtest then it could be a dimm slot or the MOBO.

It sounds like something got to hot and has shorted out because if you have to cause an over heat in order to get it to work then something works when hot and won't when it cools.

Unless your are A+ certifyed to work on your laptop in other words a rocket scientist I would call a few shop and find out how much to troubleshoot your laptop just to tell you what is wrong.

Who knows you could come back here and someone can go step by step with you and fix it or it might be cheaper for the shop to fix it. But I think it is beyond someone on here to...

DM186

Splendid
When this happens are you on battery or plug in to the wall? How new is your Laptop? and do you know the spec's of it? One way to rule out the screen try running an external monitor.

If the external monitor does the samething then you know it has to be a power problem or your GPU, Hard drive, CPU or RAM. But if it doesn't do it the other monitor then it is your screen.

I don't think you are reseting anything. But you are causing it to over heat which is not good because it will kill your laptop sooner of later more sooner. In safe mode try running memtest86+

I will link you to it. Get back to us with the answers and we will try to rule out each piece of hardwear. Good luck to you on this I hope we can get to the bottom of it.

http://www.memtest.org/

Sounds a lot like how I use to fix the Xbox 360's by making them Overheat and they would work again.

I had a friend with a Asus gaming laptop that was doing the samething, but it would also gray screen during games. The why we fixed that was to flash the video card (5870m) with the newer bios from Asus. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but overheating a laptop like that isn't something I would like to do on purpose if you have to keep doing that.

basil439

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I guess heating up the laptop using prime95 was similar to putting the motherboard in an oven. I tried re installing windows, re flashing the video BIOS etc etc. The problem still appears and whenever it appears can be temporarily cured by prime95. So I guess there is no chance of my GPU (which is unfortunately an onboard one) being healthy :cry: .

for some reason memtest86+ is not working on my laptop. The laptop reboots shortly after the memtest begins even in fail safe mode. The standard Windows Memory Diagnostic tool detects no issues, but the extended one stops progressing at 21%.
External Monitor shows the same thing (Actually I get BSOD when this problem happens while logged on in Windows. It is pretty much unreadable).
I tried all possible combinations with the two RAMs i have in my laptop, still the same (I mean it looks EXACTLY the same) issue. Can a Processor damage cause this kind of problem? Atleast Processor is replaceable unlike my GPU

Thanks all.

EDIT:here are the minidumps corresponding to the last two blue screens
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojob0mnhrmwt7eu/minidump.zip

DM186

Splendid
Well after what you have stated I would say something is on its way out and it looks like it might be the MOBO or your CPU. If you can't run memtest then it could be a dimm slot or the MOBO.

It sounds like something got to hot and has shorted out because if you have to cause an over heat in order to get it to work then something works when hot and won't when it cools.

Unless your are A+ certifyed to work on your laptop in other words a rocket scientist I would call a few shop and find out how much to troubleshoot your laptop just to tell you what is wrong.

Who knows you could come back here and someone can go step by step with you and fix it or it might be cheaper for the shop to fix it. But I think it is beyond someone on here to pick it out of the blue.

It needs to go on a tester or someone who knows the codes to troubleshoot it. But of course that is my opinion and of course it is up to you what you want to do. I do wish you good luck on this and I feel bad because you are down and can't do what you want. Cheers

Solution