Tags:
  • New Build
  • Software
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 8:24:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about building my own POS system, but first I want to know if there is any real difference between a self-built and pre-built. I know size of the system might vary, but if I go with an ITX form factor it should be small enough. Also is it worth the "trouble"? How much does a pre-built one normally cost?

Does anyone know if Intuit Quickbooks software is sufficient for my needs (wholesale) or is there better software I can get my hands on. Will the software support peripherals (scanners, invoice printers, etc).

Any other info you guys can give me would be great as I'm completely new to how POS systems work, but have built many PCs.

Thanks in advance.

More about : building point sales system

August 9, 2012 10:20:35 PM

I think the software choice is the main important part over the computer part.

I am not in the industry so I am not sure, but I think there are quite a few software choices.

I think most of the modern ones that run on Windows will just be done through a webbrowser interface though.
So then any computer that can support a webbrowser will work with it.

My point is software choice more important then the hardware choice.

m
l
August 9, 2012 10:55:34 PM

In the couple of hours, I've done a bit more research and figured out all hardware.

Now I only need the software. Please give me some recommendations with pros and cons. I actually have a copy of Intuit, but I haven't used it before. So anything better for wholesale would be nice. It has to be user-friendly and can give prices based on different accounts. So say a customer got a special price last time, I can easily give them that same price later on, while everyone else gets a standard price, etc.
m
l
!