Sign in with
Your question

What system to keep ?

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2012 9:07:28 PM

Hey guys,

At the moment, due to some wrong choises, i have 2 pc systems but i don't know what combination to keep.
I want to sell 1 computer because i only use one computer at the time anyway.
I'll split up the important core components,

Intel Core I7 950
Asus Sabertooth x58 (only sataII atm with a vertex2 ssd)
6gigs of tripple (3x2gb) 1333mhz memory

Intel core I5 2500K
Asus P8Z68 (sataIII atm with a Vertex3 ssd)
8Gigs of dual channel (2x4Gb) 1333Mhz memory

Appart of these core components in my 2 systems i have the following hardware to combine/keep/sell)

2x XFX 6870 1Gb in crossfire (in the I7 system)
1x XFX 6870 2Gb single (in the i5 system)

For the rest i have a lot of componets i can mix around like multiple HDD's for raid setups and power supplies but that isnt that important.

Question 1 ; will the I5 or I7 system be better to keep ?
The I7 system is almost a year older than the I5 system but was more expansive
The I5 system natively supports SataIII which is way fater than the SataII in the I7 sabertooth mobo.
In my experience the I5 system is slightly faster for my usage *light gaming, internet, loads of music and movie downloads) and i have 2 full HD screens connected

Question 2; what Videocard combination to keep ?
I've read that putting 2x 6870 1Gb in CF the setup will only have 1gb of memory, for multiple display setup more memory is better, but the 2x6870 1gb will be faster in processing games than the 1x6870 2gb
The 1x 6870 2Gb already has 2Gb of memory so im stuck on this point as well.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Martyzzz

More about : system

a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2012 9:27:20 PM

martyzzz said:
Hey guys,

At the moment, due to some wrong choises, i have 2 pc systems but i don't know what combination to keep.
I want to sell 1 computer because i only use one computer at the time anyway.
I'll split up the important core components,

Intel Core I7 950
Asus Sabertooth x58 (only sataII atm with a vertex2 ssd)
6gigs of tripple (3x2gb) 1333mhz memory

Intel core I5 2500K
Asus P8Z68 (sataIII atm with a Vertex3 ssd)
8Gigs of dual channel (2x4Gb) 1333Mhz memory

Appart of these core components in my 2 systems i have the following hardware to combine/keep/sell)

2x XFX 6870 1Gb in crossfire (in the I7 system)
1x XFX 6870 2Gb single (in the i5 system)

For the rest i have a lot of componets i can mix around like multiple HDD's for raid setups and power supplies but that isnt that important.

Question 1 ; will the I5 or I7 system be better to keep ?
The I7 system is almost a year older than the I5 system but was more expansive
The I5 system natively supports SataIII which is way fater than the SataII in the I7 sabertooth mobo.
In my experience the I5 system is slightly faster for my usage *light gaming, internet, loads of music and movie downloads) and i have 2 full HD screens connected

Question 2; what Videocard combination to keep ?
I've read that putting 2x 6870 1Gb in CF the setup will only have 1gb of memory, for multiple display setup more memory is better, but the 2x6870 1gb will be faster in processing games than the 1x6870 2gb
The 1x 6870 2Gb already has 2Gb of memory so im stuck on this point as well.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Martyzzz

I'd keep the i5. It is newer, faster per core, and probably faster overall, more memory and SATA III. It can be upgraded to a nice Ivy Bridge i5/i7. I couldn't care less for crossfire/SLi, so I'd keep the single XFX 6870. Do you game a lot ? Either way, the x58 is a really dead platform (upgrade and compatibilities wise).
August 9, 2012 10:18:49 PM

I dont game a lot at all but in some periods i do like to play world of warcraft and when i do i want it to go as smooth as possible.
So your saying the 1x 2Gb 6870 would be better than 2x 1Gb 6870 in CF?
For upgrading options, when i upgrade i always buy the newest chipset, CPU and memory so taking the I5 doesnt have anything to to with future proof cause i would upgrade everything at the same time anyway

Cheers for the reply
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2012 11:16:55 PM

martyzzz said:
I dont game a lot at all but in some periods i do like to play world of warcraft and when i do i want it to go as smooth as possible.
So your saying the 1x 2Gb 6870 would be better than 2x 1Gb 6870 in CF?
For upgrading options, when i upgrade i always buy the newest chipset, CPU and memory so taking the I5 doesnt have anything to to with future proof cause i would upgrade everything at the same time anyway

Cheers for the reply

I don't think the 2GB 6870 is faster than 2 1GB 6870s in crossfire. I just find that a lot of games either suffer from microstutter in crossfire mode that makes the game annoying or that the game scales poorly with crossfire. On your i5 motherboard, I'm not sure if you can configure the PCI-E lanes to be 8x,8x, only some z68 boards allowed this for optimal crossfire. Also a single 6870 is plenty if you don't game much, world of warcraft doesn't require a lot of GPU power, and the 6870 is pretty fast still. You can transfer the 2 6870s into your computer if your new board has a good crossfire setup, if you want to keep the crossfire setup.

Other than that, the choice is pretty clear to me, I'd keep the z68, and either keep the 2GB 6870 or the 2x1GB 6870 (but I prefer not to crossfire, and keep it single GPU).
August 13, 2012 4:46:18 PM

Thanks for all the info.
Ill sleep on it and than make mu choise.
Im not sure yet, maybe ill just sell the whole lot and still get an all new cpu, mobo, ddr and gpu.
Ill let you know.

Again cheers !
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2012 6:42:33 PM

martyzzz said:
Thanks for all the info.
Ill sleep on it and than make mu choise.
Im not sure yet, maybe ill just sell the whole lot and still get an all new cpu, mobo, ddr and gpu.
Ill let you know.

Again cheers !

Sleep on it is the way to go! Cheers.
August 13, 2012 6:47:29 PM

Do you think its possible to sell all 3 gpus and buy a 69xx series card? 6970 2gb is really good.
!