2x (SLI) GTX 670 4GB Superclocked
850 Watt Azza Dynamo PSU
P9X79 LE ASUS Motherboard
NZXT Source 210 Case
3 LED Fans
Corsair Liquid CPU Cooling w/ 2 fans
32GB RAM
1 7200RPM HD

I recently bought this build from ibuypower (I added in the second GTX 670), and my problem is that after playing demanding games like Far Cry 3 for about an hour, the PSU gets extremely hot (cannot even touch it), and the computer turns off. I thought this was due to a faulty power supply, but ibuypower sent me a new one and it has the same problem. I have checked CPU temps and GPU temps, and both stay within acceptable limits during playtime (although the PSU is directly below my GPUs so the GPUs get some heat). The PSU fan is working, and I thought that this power supply would be adequate for my system (it is an 80+ Efficiency PSU). Please advise me on how to solve this problem.

Hi - oldie is prob right here.
I can't find a lab test review of this psu,
Azza is using a normally good oem(superflower)
but I suspect they contracted for low end specs
and that's what you got.

So just add Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Rosewill Capstone
to his suggestions for psu repl.

Tom

PS - You've got fairly robust sys, so if/when you get a new PSU,
please step up from the budget/opening price point series of
whichever brand you choose, a little more $$ but better quality
and more balanced for the sys you have.

will409

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I see a few models that I can get on ebay for good prices:

Antec 850w True Power Quattro Power Supply
corsair CMPSU 1200AX power supply
SilverStone 850 Watt Power Supply
850 Watt 850W 120mm Fan Kentek (this cheap ass PSU got strangely good reviews)
Cooler Master Ultimate Circuit Protection 900 Watt Power Supply

If those 'good reviews' came from jonnuguru, hardware secrets, hardware canucks,
hard ocp(maybe a couple others), then they are good. If not, they are worthless.

I personally would not buy a new PSU on ebay. Newegg, NCIX, Amazon, superbiiz,
microcenter, etc are where you should be looking.

Kentek is not even listed in realhardtech psu database, and the only thing I
found on em was a "1050w" that fried in a user's pc n took two gpu's
with it.

here's a sampling of Coolermaster PSU's (courtesy of johnnulucky.org):

Cooler Master
MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
Elite Power 350 Lousy efficiency. Does not have two +12volt rails as advertised. No Over Current Protection as advertised. No Over Power Protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 400 Poor efficiency. Noise and ripple levels very high. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 460 Not 460 watt as advertised. Identical to Elite Power 400 watt model. No over current protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Extreme 2 475 Not 475 watt as advertised. Voltages drop below minimum allowed. Ripple and noise increase above minimum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 400 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 460 Not a 460 watt power supply as advertised. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 500 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 550 Burned during load tests. Not 550 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 500 watts. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 600 Burned during load tests. Not 600 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 450 watts. Voltages regulation out of spec. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
GX-650 650 Failed efficiency rating. Failed load testing. Medicore voltage regulation. Poor DC output quality on 3.3V rails. Outdated design. Hard OCP
GX-750 750 Cannot handle heat at 750 watts. Ripple issues on the 3.3V rail. Noise level on +3.3V and +5VSB above maximum allowed. Questionable capacitor quality. Poor Voltage Regulation. Efficiency lower than advertised. jonnyGURU, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven

if you get serious about wanting a quality psu, you can come back to the forum.

Tom

will409

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yes, most of those are crap, but what about the antec and corsair power supplies. Also, should I get a used power supply with a warranty or is it worth the extra money to get a new one?

Hi - The Antec 850 quaddro is an older model but did get a decent review
from Hardware Secrets in May 2008. I would say if it's new,from
a reliable seller, and has decent warranty (mfg warranty - 3 or more yrs),
then it might be worth the risk. But, remember if it's used, it's prob been used for several yrs.

The Corsair ax1200 is a top of line unit. If it's new and has the 5 or 7 yr mfg
warranty then (even tho 750w of a quality psu is more than you need) it
would be worth it depending on price.
However, the stipulation is new and a valid Corsair warranty.

will409

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Thank you, I think I will go with the Antec 850, (despite it being used) it has an extremely reliable seller with good feedback and a 5 year warranty. I looked at the review from hardware secrets, and the only negative point I saw was that it did not have over voltage protection. So two questions:
What is over voltage protection? and
Is this 850 watt power supply suitable for my power hungry beast?

Hi - 850w is more than you need. Your sys will draw approx 460w with the
two 670's, and even if the liquid cooling draws 40w, that's 500w total.
You could OC & still be below 550w, which means a 750w quality unit
would give you plenty of headroom. Over voltage protection is
exactly like it sounds, if the voltage gets too high (very unlikely in
an 850w unit) then the psu shuts down, but that shouldn't be a
concern. The bigger concern is it's used, and the warranty is
with a reseller and not the mfg.

Tom

will409

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I think I will probably get it because despite it being used the Quattro seems like a very solid power supply and if I have problems with it the AQ5 warranty (5 year warranty from Antec, not reseller) will cover me. One last question though, is there any particular reason why the azza PSU was heating up so badly if my system only needed up to 750 watts?

will409

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Wow everyone, I made a completely terrible mistake and wasted time. I have an NZXT Source case with small legs on the bottom, and I put the case on a carpet, so I think that the case was sinking into the carpet and the bottom mounted PSU was suffocating itself trying to draw air from the carpet. I thought that the legs would keep it elevated enough but apparently not.

Anyway, the fix was easy enough; simply put the stubby legged case on some textbooks and now my temps are great across the board with the Dynamo (I didn't buy the other PSUs). Now that I am operating it correctly, the power supply is actually a fairly solid performer. I would recommend it for gamers on a budget. Definitely not as good as Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic etc., but still good.

Thank you anyway Tom and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.