Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU Help

Last response: in Components
Share
December 25, 2012 7:24:04 PM

Hello all, I am looking to upgrade my PSU so I can get a better graphics card. Firstly, what half decent PSU's could I get? If you need to know my desktop it is a HP Pavilion p6-2310ea. Second, would I need to get a new fan as well, or maybe a new case to fit some new fans in? Thank you in advance.

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 7:32:41 PM

Hi there :) 
For a power supply, I would recommend these brands: Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, Cooler Master Silent Pro Series etc.

Now I would recommend getting a new case to fit the new fans, I had an HP computer as well and I can tell you, they have poor airflow compared to aftermarket computer cases.


Back to the video card, I would reccomend the HD 7850 for starters, let me know if that is too much to pay for...there are alternatives. Also do state your resolution you game at.
a c 280 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 7:33:05 PM

RacoonLCJ said:
Hello all, I am looking to upgrade my PSU so I can get a better graphics card. Firstly, what half decent PSU's could I get? If you need to know my desktop it is a HP Pavilion p6-2310ea. Second, would I need to get a new fan as well, or maybe a new case to fit some new fans in? Thank you in advance.


Hi - what is your PSU budget? and what grphics card(s) or budget are you
considering? Need to know that info to recommend items
to you.

Tom
Related resources
December 25, 2012 7:41:58 PM

I would say anything $225 and downwards would probably do it For graphics cards. And for PSU, it doesn't really matter what the price is. Would pretty much all Corsair PSU's have the correct cables for my computer? And will the desktop get too hot if I don't get any extra fans or a new case?
a c 280 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 7:44:55 PM

RacoonLCJ said:
I would say anything $225 and downwards would probably do it For graphics cards. And for PSU, it doesn't really matter what the price is. Would pretty much all Corsair PSU's have the correct cables for my computer? And will the desktop get too hot if I don't get any extra fans or a new case?


OK - give me a couple min to come up with a suggestions.
Is it safe to assume you won't be adding a 2nd gpu (CF/SLI)
to this rig?

Tom

don't think you need a new case, you might want to add a fan if there's a place for one
December 25, 2012 7:46:41 PM

Yes, I defiantly won't be having SLI/CF for he time being :3
December 25, 2012 7:48:12 PM

How do I find out if there is enough room for an extra fan?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 7:51:58 PM

RacoonLCJ said:
How do I find out if there is enough room for an extra fan?


At the end of the day all you need is a slot for a fan. So you should see an area with holes in it with four holes in the corner, that should indicate a fan goes there. You may want a fan header on the motherboard as well if you want to control the fan speed but if you don't have any, then use the 3pin-molex adapters.
a c 280 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 7:55:35 PM

RacoonLCJ said:
Yes, I defiantly won't be having SLI/CF for he time being :3



Ok - PSU - XFX 550 (Seasonic built) nets to $40 after promo & mir
if you purch by tomorrow. Outstanding value and plenty of
power for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $200 after mir

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $220 after mir

fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $8

If you find the slot fox mentioned, plz measure it, so you can get the correct
size fan

that psu has molex connectors to run a fan
!