causes for 'sim reg. failed' besides blacklisted imei?

Last response: in Brands
August 18, 2004 4:57:45 AM

Hi all,

Hoping to get some expert advice here. I don't know as much as I'd
like to. What would cause a phone (in this case a nokia 3650) to
display a 'sim card reg. failed' message besides a blacklisted IMEI?
I just sold a guy my phone and he claims he can't get it to work on
his network. I bought the phone directly from AT&T (it's been
unlocked since, I tested it with another SIM) and was using it just a
week before I sent it to him so I would be VERY surprised if the IMEI
is blocked. From previous postings on this group I get the impression
that it could be caused by a faulty sim, inactive sim, etc. Are there
any other common (or uncommon) causes? Are there ever SIM
compatibility problems, or weird things providers do with their SIMs
that might prevent them from working with certain phones? I work in
tech support so my experience is that the problem is usually between
the chair and keyboard...or the chair and the keypad in this case.
I'd like to have all the information available so I can figure out
whether he's just not smart enough to make it work (and advise him) or
if I need to take the phone back (although I'll probably end up
letting him return it either way).

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:06:59 PM

"Matt M." <macadam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Hoping to get some expert advice here. I don't know as much as I'd
> like to. What would cause a phone (in this case a nokia 3650) to
> display a 'sim card reg. failed' message besides a blacklisted IMEI?
> I just sold a guy my phone and he claims he can't get it to work on
> his network. I bought the phone directly from AT&T (it's been
> unlocked since, I tested it with another SIM) and was using it just a
> week before I sent it to him so I would be VERY surprised if the IMEI
> is blocked. From previous postings on this group I get the impression
> that it could be caused by a faulty sim, inactive sim, etc. Are there
> any other common (or uncommon) causes? Are there ever SIM
> compatibility problems, or weird things providers do with their SIMs
> that might prevent them from working with certain phones? I work in
> tech support so my experience is that the problem is usually between
> the chair and keyboard...or the chair and the keypad in this case.
> I'd like to have all the information available so I can figure out
> whether he's just not smart enough to make it work (and advise him) or
> if I need to take the phone back (although I'll probably end up
> letting him return it either way).
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.

I had a similar problem with a nokia 6230 and orange sim. I kept getting sim
card registration failed. Turned out to be an incompatability with the phone
and the newer 64K type sim card that orange had issued me with. I had the
sim replaced and message went away.
!