Solved

Need a smaller case

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 25, 2012 8:26:01 PM

I currently have the Coolermaster Haf X RC-942-KKN1 full tower case for my gaming computer (internal hardware listed below). I bought the full tower case initially because of the amazing air flow and how much room I had for all my components. At the time, I wasn't planning on moving around. Lately though I've been moving around a lot, and in the next year will be moving every 2 months or so. I need a smaller case. I would like one that can easily fit everything with plenty of room, screwless preferred, is sturdy and has front USB3.0 ports, and has excellent airflow (I OC both my processor and graphics card). Any suggestions?

P.S. I like how easy the HafX is to clean, since all of the panels can snap off, and it has dust filters.
P.P.S. Would I have to remove everything from my mobo (such as the processor, and re-apply thermal paste)?

Mobo: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W
CPU: i5 2500k
GFX: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB
SSD: Patriot Pyro 120GB SataIII
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB 64MB cache 7200RPM
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO with a 2nd fan
Sound: ASUS XONAR_Essence STX

More about : smaller case

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 9:27:20 PM

A case I would recommend myself personally is the Corsair 200R. It looks clean , well built and an amazing case. It's got LOADS of cable management space , loads of interior space and features such as 4 SSD compartments. 4 5.25" drives and about 6 3.5" drives ? It's really nice case and has dust filters and front panel comes off for two 120mm case fans.

You don't have to remove everything off your motherboard such as processor etc but if you have a after market cooler I'd recommend you remove it and re-apply the paste. It'll keep your temperatures down if you have new paste rather than dry paste.
December 25, 2012 9:59:32 PM

The case looks excellent! So much smaller than what I currently have. Unless someone has a better recommendation I'll place the order tomorrow morning. How well does it keep everything cool with fans only (no water cooling)?
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 10:21:17 PM

How does the 200R compare to the 300R windowed? It may be 1" larger, but I do like the side window.
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:55:07 AM

Anyone try the 300r windowed?
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:28:32 PM

Best answer selected by Sovelin.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 11:17:21 PM

Hi mate sorry for the late reply. The 200R is pretty good but I'd recommend you get a faster 120mm fan for the exhaust and movie the standard 130mm fan to the front to have two intake a. Also the 300R has better airflow and a bit bigger but will be louder and cost more.
m
l
January 5, 2013 2:22:13 AM

ihsaan96 said:
Hi mate sorry for the late reply. The 200R is pretty good but I'd recommend you get a faster 120mm fan for the exhaust and movie the standard 130mm fan to the front to have two intake a. Also the 300R has better airflow and a bit bigger but will be louder and cost more.

I ended up going with the 300r windowed. It just came in, and I will move everything from the old case to the new in the morning. Do I need to mess with the fans at all or install any extras, or is the airflow in the 300r pretty decent? I'm sure it won't compare to my HafX, but in terms of size I am loving how much smaller it is.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 3:35:03 PM

Ermmm...I'd recommend you get a high airflow fan / fast speed fan for the exhaust as you want to take out lots of hot air from the case. Also if you can choose from either 120mm or 140mm then choose the 140mm as they move much more air at a slower RPM meaning lower sound.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 3:46:40 PM

What have you got on the front ? Also good idea of having them on the window. It's direct airflow for your cpu etc and make sure you don't have just intake fans , that's a common mistake people do.
m
l
January 6, 2013 3:53:37 PM

Front is I believe a 140mm intake (came with case), and rear is a 120 exhaust (came with case). I may replace the front with a 120 SP edition when I have some more money available. But with 6 fans, and with proper positioning, it should remain fairly cool. I also have 2 fans on my Evo 212 for my cpu (both blowing towards the rear exhaust) to keep the CPU cool.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 4:05:19 PM

Leave the front fan as 140mm. If you want get a better 140mm front fan. Also yeah that'll work great , you'll have good temps.
m
l
!