Closed Solved

How to switch from PCIE 3.0 to 2.0???

Can someone more knowledgeable than me please explain this from start to finish?
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about switch pcie
  1. PCIE 3.0 is only available with third gen i series or ivy bridge cpus......once you have an ivy bridge cpu installed I think it automatically switches your pcie lanes to 3.0 if not there should be a setting in the bios to change it. if you have a second gen i series cpu (sandy bridge) you will not be able to have pcie 3.0. edit: just realized you wanted to go from 3 back to 2....why would you want to do this? any pcie 2.0 card will work perfectly fine in a 3.0 slot same goes for pcie 1.0 or whatever that was (too long ago)
  2. skiim said:
    Can someone more knowledgeable than me please explain this from start to finish?


    There is no need to manually switch the pci-e lanes from 3.0 to 2.0. If you use a pic-e 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot it will still work and will simply run at its highest 2.0 speeds. You can also use a pci-e 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot as well. The 3.0 card will simply run as fast as the 2.0 lane allows.
  3. You need a motherboard that supports PCIe 3.0, an Ivy Bridge CPU and a PCIe 3.0 card if you want full PCIe 3.0 support.
  4. ko888 said:
    You need a motherboard that supports PCIe 3.0, an Ivy Bridge CPU and a PCIe 3.0 card if you want full PCIe 3.0 support.


    the X79 (Socket 2011) Motherboards also support 3.0 support
  5. jerubedo said:
    the X79 (Socket 2011) Motherboards also support 3.0 support

    When did I ever say it didn't?
  6. I want to do this because I have a recall version of gtx 670. While I wait for my replacement, the temp fix is to adjust the pci bus speed to Gen 2. I have an asus z77 v-pro, ivy bridge cpu
  7. so basically I just need to know how to revert back to pci 2.0 As long as I can revert back once my new card arrives, I just need what I asked for.
  8. ko888 said:
    When did I ever say it didn't?


    Oh, sorry. I took you saying "Ivy Bridge CPU" as meaning only Ivy Bridge. The Sandy Bridge-E also supports 3.0. See here for details: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336498-28-does-3930k-support-pcie
  9. skiim said:
    so basically I just need to know how to revert back to pci 2.0 As long as I can revert back once my new card arrives, I just need what I asked for.



    See my above answer:

    There is no need to manually switch the pci-e lanes from 3.0 to 2.0. If you use a pic-e 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot it will still work and will simply run at its highest 2.0 speeds. You can also use a pci-e 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot as well. The 3.0 card will simply run as fast as the 2.0 lane allows.
  10. And for everyone answering before reading the posts or misreading the subject, I am trying to revert from 3.0 to 2.0. I have 3.0 now, and want to revert back to 2.0
  11. Jeru it is the only fix I can find for my gpu problem. its only tempororay. is it possible or no?
  12. Okay I am going to do a recap here.

    My EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked is a recall model. I am waiting for a new replacement to come, but in the meantime, the fix for the card to stop crashing 2 mins into any game, is to revert your pcie speeds to 3.0 from 2.0. I dont really even know what this entails, but that is the reason. I will switch back when my new card comes...
  13. skiim said:
    Okay I am going to do a recap here.

    My EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked is a recall model. I am waiting for a new replacement to come, but in the meantime, the fix for the card to stop crashing 2 mins into any game, is to revert your pcie speeds to 3.0 from 2.0. I dont really even know what this entails, but that is the reason. I will switch back when my new card comes...


    Most of the motherboards do NOT have the option in the bios to manually adjust the generation used on the pci-e lanes, and that is because the configuration is dynamic. Plugging in a 2.0 card will have the lane run at 2.0 speeds, while a 3.0 card will have the lane run at 3.0 speeds. On the off chance your bios does have the option, though, it would be in the on-board periphrials section, and look for pci-e, then if it has the option, switch fron gen 3 to gen 2.
  14. Best answer
    skiim said:
    Okay I am going to do a recap here.

    My EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked is a recall model. I am waiting for a new replacement to come, but in the meantime, the fix for the card to stop crashing 2 mins into any game, is to revert your pcie speeds to 3.0 from 2.0. I dont really even know what this entails, but that is the reason. I will switch back when my new card comes...

    In the UEFI's Advanced tab page look at the NB PCIe Configuration settings.

    You can change the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 Link Speeds from Auto and lock them to Gen1 or Gen2.

    Page 3-21 of the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO user's manual (English).
  15. Best answer selected by skiim.
  16. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Switch Graphics