Is an onboard graphics card good enough for an Full HD 24" monitor?

daven26

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
PPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watch Movies, Photoshop, very little gaming (I only play starcraft broodwars), everyday computing like spreadsheets, web browsers word documents etc.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Still building but thinking about just using the onboard graphics card from Asus

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Should have 8 GB RAM, I5 Processor, Asus mothboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371775

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, microcenter, amazon

PARTS PREFERENCES: If I need a graphics card, please recommend a cheap one

OVERCLOCKING: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Solution
The intel video card built into the i5 is more than enough for everyday computing, and it could easily run the old starcraft broodwar game. That game is locked at 640x480 and 256 colors. It will run on any video device made in the last 10 years. I used to run it back in 1998 on a s3virge 4mb pci card.

The graphics built into the i5 are very good.

ram1009

Distinguished
Onboard graphics are not in the form of a "card" but rather a chip soldered to the MB. The only wan to know for sure if your onboard graphics chip will handle what you want to do is to try it. You have nothing to lose by doing so and if the performance is not what you desire then add a GPU.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The intel video card built into the i5 is more than enough for everyday computing, and it could easily run the old starcraft broodwar game. That game is locked at 640x480 and 256 colors. It will run on any video device made in the last 10 years. I used to run it back in 1998 on a s3virge 4mb pci card.

The graphics built into the i5 are very good.

Solution