gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I often wondered how it would work if I lived somewhere that was always freezing temperatures. I mean it would open a whole window of ideas for new computer cooling solutions.

If you had the chance to live somewhere cold to improve your gaming 100x would you do it?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
what? this fails logic.

This is not one of the benefits of living in a cold climate because human bodies have an operating temperature of about 98.6 degrees F and scientists have invented climate control.

Watercooling and such provides the equivilant of freezing tempertatures.
Or just install a walk-in freezer.
Or pay for blocks of ice to be delivered that you can build a mini-igloo for your computer.

That being said, a better tradeoff would be live somewhere cold in exchange to go Skiing or other Snowsports or other activity where you really do need the outside to be cold to have your benefit

Wolfshadw

Titan
1) Most components have an operating temperature range that do not drop to freezing temperatures. Cooling air would need to be warmed to an operating temperature before cooling your system.
2) The incoming cooling air would need to be dehumidified before reaching your system. Otherwise condensation would form on your heated components and cause a short circuit.

In short, it's not going to work without a lot of extra cost and materials.

-Wolf sends

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Logic is something that can't be failed. As far as this topic goes. your reply this part is just completely out of line.
I'm not sure what to say. But, look at it this way. That is exactly what people said years ago when someone said I want to go into outer space.

Someone I'm sure someone in this world could find a way to make the cold outdoor climates work for a computer cooling system. A ventilation system or something like that designed with cooling the computer in mind.

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

The problem isn't a lack of imagination, it's an abundance of ambition and ignorance. There are a myriad of cooling methods available that increase your performance potential, available no matter where you live, which makes this idea entirely flawed.

Also, somebody has invented that ventilation system of which you speak, it's called air conditioning.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
no point in arguing with people here. I came up with something I thought was different and people can't have any fun with an idea. Always Always serious business.
no air conditions take hot air and turn it cold. I'm talking already frozen air(not literally Frozen) pushed through your computer. I figure something like that would and or could really drop temps. It's simple and there's no risk involved like there is with WC.
step back from your "logic" world and just have fun with an idea. think of unusual possibilities that are simple yet risk free. Stop thinking about all the Real crap involved. This is called using imagination.
using imagination isn't Using someone else design. coming up with something on your own entirely. Even when people negatively down your idea.

I'd love to live somewhere cold. I like the winter over the summer cause I can open a window and let the cold air in and my computer sitting next to this window draws that air in I can feel the cooler air flowing through my computer. Have i checked temps nope never really thought much of it. But, was sure it did something good.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Um... excuse me, but I live in Minnesota. Our Winters are rather chilly and yes, I actually HAVE thought of this. I've actually thought of piping in cold outside air to act as coolant for a PC. It would work fine, so long as you take into account the two factors I listed above.

Now as it happens, I live on the top floor of an old apartment building. During the Winter, the heat from the lower apartments tends to collect in my apartment, making it extremely warm (and not healthy for my computers). There are times when it's necessary to crack a window just to keep my systems from overheating. My HTPC does have a temperature gauge and at times, cracking the window does lower the CPU temp by about 10 degrees Fahrenheit while still being a comfortable living space, but I'm not going to throw open all my windows and wander around my apartment wearing a parka.

What you're thinking simply is not feasible.

-Wolf sends