Sign in with
Your question

Suitable gfx card upgrade for my PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2012 8:15:02 PM

Hi guys, firstly thanx to TH for a great website and to everyone else that's always helpfull on this forum, useally I find my questions already posted but today I have a specific one.

I would like to upgrade my PC and would like to know what I need to upgrade and what I can keep. My PC is a 4year old Packard Bell iMedia x2424

Specs:
- Intel Quad Core Q6600 (2.4 GHz)
- 4096 MB DDR2 RAM (4 GB)
- 650GB SATA2 HDD (7200 RPM)
- Nvidia GeForce 7050 onboard Video (PCI-Express x16 slot available)
- DVDR-w Drive
- 5 in 1 Card reader
- Microsoft Vista Home premium preinstalled

I have since replaced the 250W PSU with a CoolerMaster 460W PSU and put in an old GeForce 8600GT 256MB I had lying around.

PSU: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3686

Now I am wondering what I need to upgrade to be able to play newest games on good gfx, doesn't have to be on ultra.
Is my CPU fast enough, is my DDR2 ram fast enough??
What GFX card can my PSU handle and will my CPU/RAM throttle a good GFX card??

To upgrade to DDR3 ram I need to replace the mboard which pretty much means buying a new PC since I then have to upgrade CPU aswell...?!?

These are the cards I'm currently looking at (price wise ~3000 SA Rand)
Inno3D GTX570 1Gb 320bit
Asus GTX560 Ti 2Gb 256bit
MSI HD7850 2Gb 256bit TwinFrozr
Gigabyte HD7770 1Gb 128bit

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanx

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 8:54:21 PM

Your CPU is a bit faster than your video card so at this point in time upgrading the video card would be the best course of action.

If I were you I would get the best GPU I could afford with the intention of doing a new motherboard cpu and ram in the next year or so.

I personally like to upgrade the gpu every 2 years or so, but I only upgrade my cpu and mother board every 4 years or so. Again it all depends on your budget.

I would do the GTX570 or the HD7850.
!