Solved

Question about hard drive/partitions

Hey guys. I just completed my first build. I just have one question.

I followed the Newegg video when I installed Windows 7. In the video, he says you are supposed to create a partition in your hard drive and install windows to that (back up/restore drive?) I thought that I did this.

However, when I go to my computer, it only shows up as one drive. It isn't split up into 2 drives like his. Does this mean that I don't have a back up drive? Is there any way that i can fix this so that there is an OS drive like he has?

Thanks! I hope this makes sense.. let me know if i need to clarify
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question hard drive partitions
  1. Not everyone at once now.. haha
  2. Best answer
    You installed Windows to the entire drive. So, the entire drive is reserved for whatever you do in Windows 7. You can create a partition and install Vista, XP, Linux, or store data on that partition. So, a partition is basically like having multiple HDD's. Also, it is never recommended to backup your drive to itself, e.g. backing up your files to the same HDD/partition. If you get a virus/HDD crashes, you will lose the data+backup. So, get an external drive an backup to that.
  3. Right, it's not necessary. But having a smallish partition to keep a backup and disk image for Windows is a good idea, but as obsama1 says it's better to keep it on another drive entirely.
  4. I recommend keeping 100MB as reserve, because "This will contain all the boot folder and associated files."
    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10408-whats-100mb-partition-can-i-delete.html
  5. Best answer selected by hallo23.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Video Hard Drives Systems