Fastest DAE reader?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm looking for the reader with the fastest Digital Audio Extraction. I prefer a SCSI CD-ROM, but if it has to be IDE, then the fastest DVD-ROM for DAE. I'm looking for anything that will do DAE above 24x.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
The plexy ultraplex 40 will, I have an ultraplex40 but the older model and dae sometimes drops to 17x, I cant rememebr where I saw it being reviewed but it did very well.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but the price! OUCH! for a reader? Amazing. I could get a SCSI CDRW that rips audio that fast for the same price (a Yamaha that rips at 24x). But then I'd feel kind of stupid having 2 CDRW's in my system and using one as a reader and one as a recoder. But paying just as much for a reader seems kind of silly. I like to limit my IDE to one device per channel for optimum recording, putting everything else on SCSI. Right now I have an IDE hard drive and an IDE DVD-ROM. And a bunch of SCSI stuff. As long as there are no software conflicts, I don't get coasters, even if i'm doing CD to CD coppies and running other programs from the hard drive! Maybe I should just give up and get a Burn proof drive, but I still want speed, so I still need fast DAE. So what's a fast IDE reader for DAE, seeing how much the SCSI one cost? Or better yet, what's the fastest IDE DVD-ROM for DAE?

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought you want a SCSI Drive. SCSI Drive usually more expensive but they perform better. Plextor has the best DAE performance but I think they do not produce any IDE CDROM.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Yes, they arnt the cheapest!, I got mine about 18 months ago and cost about £80 then!!, they are very good, reliable drives. I chose scsi drives a long time ago when coasters were a lot more common than they are now, On my old k6-2 I could go on the fly from the plexy to my yamaha 6416S whilst playing Quake2- thats scsi for ya!
upec, plextor dp have ide writers, not sure about readers though, have a look on their site www.plextor.com I cant look now coz im at work and have limited net.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Compgeeks had a 32x Plextor drive for $40 a while back, I really didn't expect to pay twice as much for a 40x.

OK, I have an IDE DVD-ROM I'm willing to replace to get faster CD-to-CD coppies. I don't want to add more IDE devices. BUT I can add SCSI devices externally, so a SCSI reader is an option.

So my options are to either
1) replace the IDE DVD-ROM with either a SCSI or IDE unit that does fast DAE, or
2) purchase a SCSI reader that does fast DAE.

I wouldn't in any case pay more than $40 for the SCSI reader or $80 for a DVD-ROM (either SCSI or IDE), to do so exceedes my sensabilities. All I'm looking for is fast DAE for either.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I told you in the other forum. get a ltd-163 for $50 www.jazztechnology.com it is the best DVD drive in the world with perfect and the fastest DAE extraction. cdrinfo.com cdrlabs.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I looked at the benchmarks, I'm fairly impressed, compared to my SR-8586 which beats all my CD-ROM drives in DAE, the Lite On model is about twice as fast!

teecee

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Beware that not all DAE is equal. You need to make sure that the CD-ROM (-R, -RW) you get does error correction for bit accurate DAE. That's the advantage of a Plextor. They were the only company to do this at one point in time. When you extract audio with Plextor's tool, you can tell it the percent of checking/correction you want (from 0 to 100%). You take a hit in performance, but the Plextors still smoke with correction at 100%.

TeeCee

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, my options were to either add a SCSI reader, or replace my DVD drive, to get fast DAE. Now most software does this correction for you, correct? So it looks like, pricewise, my best option is to replace my DVD drive. I can always resell my old drive for what it cost me.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
For the guy that said you have to watch out for the quality of DAE from the ltd-163, both review sites said it had perfect and the fastest dae ever, and I myself used www.exactaudiocopy.de to read an entire cd in secure mode, burned it, and then read the burned cd, and compared the 2 files and they were exactly the same! For anyone that has this drive I'll e-mail them the settings for EAC, so they can make perfect copies also.

Other news:
Times change fast in this field. Very very fast. The ltd-163 may not be the fastest DVD drive very soon. The Asus DVD-E616 may replace it. There is conflicting info on this drive see below.
"...ASUSTeK Computer launched its latest optical storage drive, the ASUS DVD-E616. The ASUS DVD-E616 16X DVD-ROM drive delivers highest-quality DVD playback by incorporating latest technologies such as ATA/100 transfer speeds and ASUS patented DDSS II (second generation Double Dynamic Suspension System) technology. The ASUS DVD-E616 will be shipping in quantities late August 2001.

The ASUS DVD-E616 leads other DVD-ROM drives by utilizing ATA/100 data transfer speeds, the fastest transfer interface to date. This ground-breaking enhancement enables high-speed transfer rates, error checking and ensures compatibility with future interface standards. The ASUS DVD-E616 features patented ASUS DDSS II “second generation Double Dynamic Suspension System” technology. ASUS DDSS II is implemented into the DVD-E616 to reduce the overall vibration and resonance associated with high-spin speeds of performance optical drives. The result is optimally quiet operation and smooth DVD playback.

Features
-Enhanced IDE (ATAPI) bus interface, supporting ATA/100, ATA/66, ATA/33, Multi-word DMA mode 2 and PIO mode 4
-DVD-ROM max. Transfer rate: 21640 KB/s (16X) vs. CD-ROM max. transfer rate: 7200 KB/s (48X)
-Full Playability: accessing all format DVD-ROM/R/RW, DVD+RW and CD-ROM/R/RW discs
-Built-in ASUS patented DDSS II for excellent vibration and noise control
-Random access time DVD: 105 ms vs. CD:85 ms typical
-Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology
-High Speed DAE/ Digital audio extraction
-Supporting DOS, Windows 95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Netware, Linux, OS/2 Warp
-Vertical/ horizontal mounting
-Free bundle: Latest ASUS DVD Playback Program..."

The Quote on the main page of www.cdrinfo.com (above) says it is a 16x dvd and 48x cd reader, while in the cebit sections of the site (http://www.cdrinfo.com/cebit2001/asus.shtml) it says it is a 50x cd reader.
"This is the latest DVD-ROM from Asus. The drive supports 16x DVD and 50x CD reading. This is the first time we see 16x DVD-ROM with such increased CD reading speed. The drive has 512KB of buffer among with 85ms random access time. Last it includes Asus "DDSSII" system:

"...Asus has developed a unique suspension design - coined "DDSS II" for Double Dynamic Suspension System - for it's DVD-ROM. To reduce the vibration caused by the spindle motor, Asus build a damper between the core mechanisms and traverse as the first suspension and as isolator between the traverse and loader mechanism as the second suspension. Both damper and isolater have precisely been calculated and designed using special rubber materials with different levels of elasticity.."

However all things considered, about the only thing that is going to make the DVD-E616 faster than the LTD-163 is its built in "Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology
" that causes it to use different reading techniques for different types of written modes and media (as I understand it) and its "-Random access time DVD: 105 ms vs. CD:85 ms typical". A bonus about the DVD-E616 DVD is it is quieter with its special DDSS II. However, the same Built-in "AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology" that is supposed to make it a bit faster reading could slow it down I'm thinking in some applications where you want the computer to do the error correction for you in DAE and tell it to go at max spped while, the drive with the Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology slows it self down to read the audio cd with fewer errors. Also the ltd-163 is available now for $50 while this new drive will probably be somewhere around $80 or more (I'm guessing). The ATA-100 thing is just marketing crap since the speeds will never take advantage of 100 MBs p/s. While I am pretty confident in that statement, I am confused as to why plextor made an ultra wide plex 40x after the plex 40x for the same reason. The speeds would be the same on both drives. So whats with that?

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I apologize for giving wrong info. The fastest DAE drive is the Afreey CD-2056E. cdrlabs.com and storagereview.com will tell you. However it is bad for reading CD-RWs. The best well rounded cd-rom is the Teac 540E, but then the Ltd-163 is faster for DAE and a better buy I believe. All things considered I'd still go with the LTD-163.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reason you can get an ultra wide Plextor and a narrow Plextor is probably that most people with modern drives have only 68-pin cables in their system. That way you don't have to add a 68 to 50 pin converter.

Back to you Tom...