On this 512 MB PC I have my paging file set on my 'System' partition
C:, and I do not have a paging file set on the larger 'Data' partition
D: (where most of my data files program files are). Is that normal
practice? Or are there any reasons to set a paging file on both
partitions?

Also, does the size of 757 MB seem OK please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry

The 'page file' should either be where it is now, or on a another harddrive
if installed.. the ize indicates that it is 'Windows managed' which is a
good thing..

For more information on Page files, read the web page below..

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

In news:7h1491118cnhf8u5tl8t5efuin48n9ctko@4ax.com,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:

> On this 512 MB PC I have my paging file set on my 'System'
> partition
> C:, and I do not have a paging file set on the larger 'Data'
> partition
> D: (where most of my data files program files are). Is that
> normal
> practice?

That's normal, and fine.

> Or are there any reasons to set a paging file on both
> partitions?

No.

> Also, does the size of 757 MB seem OK please?

It's probably significantly more than you need. I'd lower the
starting size to around 200MB, but keep the maximum high.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Terry
>
>The 'page file' should either be where it is now, or on a another harddrive
>if installed.. the ize indicates that it is 'Windows managed' which is a
>good thing..
>
>For more information on Page files, read the web page below..
>

>http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Thanks Mike, but could you amplify on that point about another hard
drive please? I do in fact have two identical HDs, but didn't think it
relevant to mention the other one. So the total picture is:
HD 1
----
C: System file Paging file 757 MB
D: Data, Programs No paging file set

HD2
---
E: Old system file, for emergency. No paging file set
F: Backups (nightly, main sections of D:) No paging file set

Why would I want to put the paging file on HD2, when the active system
is C:?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

In news:0c7491ls0gn4bdenajqnu708v5cnebubgv@4ax.com,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
> "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Terry
>>
>> The 'page file' should either be where it is now, or on a
>> another
>> harddrive if installed.. the ize indicates that it is 'Windows
>> managed' which is a good thing..
>>
>> For more information on Page files, read the web page below..
>>

>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> Thanks Mike, but could you amplify on that point about another
> hard
> drive please? I do in fact have two identical HDs, but didn't
> think it
> relevant to mention the other one. So the total picture is:
> HD 1
> ----
> C: System file Paging file 757 MB
> D: Data, Programs No paging file set
>
> HD2
> ---
> E: Old system file, for emergency. No paging file set
> F: Backups (nightly, main sections of D:) No paging file set
>
> Why would I want to put the paging file on HD2, when the active
> system
> is C:?

That's *exactly* why. If the active drive is C: every time you
need to use the page file, you have to move the drive heads from
where they are to the page file, then back again. And head
movement is the slowest part of using a drive. If you move the
page file to a less active drive, you get much less head
movement. A good rule of thumb is that the page file should be on
the most used partition of the least used physical drive.

However, you should keep a small page file on C:; Windows is
likely to complain, otherwise.

For more info, read here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:7h1491118cnhf8u5tl8t5efuin48n9ctko@4ax.com,
>Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
>
>> On this 512 MB PC I have my paging file set on my 'System'
>> partition
>> C:, and I do not have a paging file set on the larger 'Data'
>> partition
>> D: (where most of my data files program files are). Is that
>> normal
>> practice?
>

>That's normal, and fine.
>

>> Or are there any reasons to set a paging file on both
>> partitions?
>

>No.
>

>> Also, does the size of 757 MB seem OK please?
>

>It's probably significantly more than you need. I'd lower the
>starting size to around 200MB, but keep the maximum high.

Thanks, Ken.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

In news:eek:ke491pf486lnfkbikbskb5fa404v2kdih@4ax.com,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
>> In news:7h1491118cnhf8u5tl8t5efuin48n9ctko@4ax.com,
>> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
>>
>>> On this 512 MB PC I have my paging file set on my 'System'
>>> partition
>>> C:, and I do not have a paging file set on the larger 'Data'
>>> partition
>>> D: (where most of my data files program files are). Is that
>>> normal
>>> practice?
>>

>> That's normal, and fine.
>>

>>> Or are there any reasons to set a paging file on both
>>> partitions?
>>

>> No.
>>

>>> Also, does the size of 757 MB seem OK please?
>>

>> It's probably significantly more than you need. I'd lower the
>> starting size to around 200MB, but keep the maximum high.
>
> Thanks, Ken.

You're welcome, Terry. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

erci

Distinguished
May 25, 2005

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Terry
>
> The 'page file' should either be where it is now, or on a another
> harddrive if installed.. the ize indicates that it is 'Windows
> managed' which is a good thing..
>
> For more information on Page files, read the web page below..
>

> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Page files should be on another drive other than the operating one...

Size should be 1.5 x the CPU size, or if you play games 2x....

Erci rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>
>> Terry
>>
>> The 'page file' should either be where it is now, or on a another
>> harddrive if installed.. the ize indicates that it is 'Windows
>> managed' which is a good thing..
>>
>> For more information on Page files, read the web page below..
>>

>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> Page files should be on another drive other than the operating one...
>
> Size should be 1.5 x the CPU size, or if you play games 2x....

It should be on both partitions if you have more than one.

Erci wrote:

> Page files should be on another drive other than the operating one...
>
> Size should be 1.5 x the CPU size, or if you play games 2x....

Surely you mean 1.5 x the physical memory total? ;-)

--
Segovia - 16/06/2005 12:07:00 AM