{Various Issues}Windows using up 11.4gb of ram randomly + Others

nvr22

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
-So for issue number 1-
After a while of being logged in (around an hour or so) Windows will start randomly using up RAM, up to 11.4 gigabytes.
When I look in the Task Manager there's literally nothing that even COULD be using up that much RAM.

On idle it will use up 5gb and even that is much much more than all of the applications are using in total.

-Issue 2-
This one ties in a bit with the first issue, any media players I might want to use on my computer completely go haywire after the 11.4gb. MPC-HC will skip frames constantly with the audio also skipping, VLC will play the audio but not the video whereas both of these would play perfectly well when I first signed in.

Browser players (flash basically) work perfectly fine though.

-Issue 3 (Separate from the others)-
When I play a certain game and shut it down everything goes completely insane.

If I play another game the fps will constantly stutter between a full 60fps (which is also my screen limit) and 48 causing the character to seemingly teleport every step instead of fluid walking.

My browser will also do a sort of stuttering (Firefox) when scrolling, instead of sliding down the page it will skip a portion but it won't stop scrolling so instead of the "tom's hardware" logo shifting down it will just skip it and skip the next part and the next etc.

Though this issue does effect browser players, it doesn't effect application players (VLC, MPC-HC)

-Issue 4-
Somewhat like issue 3 except only video players will stutter and everything else (browsers, games, regular applications) will work fine.

MPC-HC's audio will skip and fall behind the video causing basically for the characters to be mouthing words the audio played 5 seconds ago.

VLC will start skipping the video while the audio stays intact so when a frame gets stuck it will just skip ahead to where the audio is.

And everything else works perfectly fine as though nothing's going on.

Any of these usually occur somewhere between 30min-1hr after being signed in. Once it does I have to shut the computer down and boot it back up again for everything to work normally again.

Unfortunately I can't find anything specifically on this that's proved useful (installing/uninstalling certain windows updates as well as checking AV and drivers, uninstalling things) so I'm here, hoping something can be done.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The memory usage is odd. When you go into Task Manager do any of the services show that sort of memory use? What security software are you using? Does the memory use also occur in safe mode? Have you run and virus, trojan or root kit scans?

How much ram do you have, and what are the rest of your components?

issue-1
What are you looking at in task manager?

Windows 7 will keep as much of your previously used code in ram, in anticipation of the possibility of reuse.
That is good.
It will show up as cached.

As to the other issues, I suspect the games or apps, or possibly the graphics crivers.

nvr22

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

The largest memory usage is Firefox which uses somewhere between 1-1.5mil memory usually after being open for a while (it starts out at 500k (500,000 K) and builds up over 15 minutes or so depending on whether I'm opening and closing a lot of tabs)

As for safe mode I'm guessing it won't but I haven't tried it, considering it only does it after a long while I'm using it so I don't believe it would but I can't stay in safe mode since it won't let me get on the internet (though I haven't tried to see if you can turn it on or not so I might look into that if you think it's necessary to test).

Also if it's idle it generally builds up to 5.1 to 6.8gb from 3gb at sign in what I'm more worried about is it randomly going to 11.4-14.9gb (I have 16gb all of which I need) when the only things open is Firefox and the background programs.

The AV I use is ESET currently, I've scanned with that as well as the free version of Malwarebyte's freeware version as well as with AVAST! Anti-Rootkit

16gb in total.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Intel i7 2600
1.5TB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

I actually use Process Explorer, which shows the memory as Private Bytes, I checked Task Manager and it's the identical to the Memory (Private Working Set) column.

11.4-14.9gb of RAM is a bit much for just cache, if it only used up 3-5gb that would be fine.

Games tend to help it along but it sticks, for instance if I play game 1 only the video players will start messing up.
However if I play game 2 everything will start going haywire (even if I just restarted the computer, so I'm guessing it depends on how much of a load it's putting on. But that doesn't explain why it sticks after I've shut the game down)

I've tried re-installing the Graphics Drivers already, I got an error but it acted the same as the previous one that didn't receive the error regardless.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Are you letting Windows manage the virtual memory or have you set it to a fixed range amount? Safe mode with networking will let you get on the internet. Also alot of what you describe sounds like network latency issues either on you local in house net. or through your ISP. What type of internet service do you use and how is it configured for your system. Are you on a home network? If you use a router have you tried directly connecting to your modem bypassing the router?

nvr22

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I used to have it set to a specific amount but I believe that started messing with a few things so it's set back to Windows managing it at the moment.
But the page file is HDD space substituted for RAM not the actual RAM itself, even at 14.8 I'd still have 1.2gb of RAM left over so I doubt it would be necessary for windows to be using it.

It isn't, if it was scrolling down an already loaded page in a browser wouldn't be affected. Irregardless of that when the game I was playing started skipping it was the fps not the latency bar that was shooting up and down. I'd have to slingshot rather rapidly between something around 40ms to 600ms for it to look like this with latency alone.

Which leads me to believe it's either something to do with the RAM issue or my Graphics Card/Graphics drivers (as geofelt said, though why would it stick until after the entire computer is restarted? Hence why I think it *might* be connected with the RAM issue) although I've already tried installing several different versions (old/new).

Home network, and no but I'll try it anyway and edit the result in.
Result: No change whatsoever.