DVI to VGA or VGA to DVI?

noobie121

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I recently built a computer but the graphics card did not come with an adapter to my current cable used to hook up the monitor to my current computer. Now i need to buy an adapter but i'm not sure which to get. DVI to VGA or VGA to DVI? Are they both the same? Some of them say DVI M to VGA F or DVI F to VGA M. I currently have a cable that has blue plugs and 3 rows consisted of 5 pins each row.

noobie121

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah no offense taken but i just don't have any cash. I don't have a job either.. only 15. I spent all my cash on the build.
Or i could just get a DVI cable

Tree_Hugger

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Does the monitor have a DVI input? If so just get a DVI cable. If not:

The wire you described is a VGA cable. If your graphics card has a DVI output you'll want a DVI male to VGA female adapter (DVI M to VGA F) to connect your card to the VGA input on your monitor. Its the setup I have right now connecting my 560 to a VGA monitor

noobie121

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

My graphics card has HDMI, and DVI and something called DP (lolz.....) My monitor only supports DVI and VGA. If i were to get a DVI cable i'm not sure which kind to get since there are like 3 different kinds.

Tree_Hugger

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 3 types, but any DVI cable should work as long as both ends are male. I'd definitely recommend getting a DVI cable over using VGA as the VGA is noticeably fuzzier than a DVI connection.
something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ikross-High-Resolution-Gold-6ft/dp/B000O5TH14/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356486500&sr=1-11
Can you put links to your GPU and monitor just to be sure?

noobie121

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Alright i Guess i'll try and find a DVI-I cable after Christmas.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

I know that California is an awful mess politically, and taxes rates are high.
Sales tax rates are oppressive, even compared to Illinois where I live, (the 2nd worst state disaster behind California and of course run by corrupt Democrats).

Keep in mind that your local store charges tax too, and may cost more than the Egg for an item like this.
Usually local stores lowball items that most folks know the price of. Cables don't fit that category and are marked up big time.
Hopefully the less than $10 total you have to spend will not keep you from success.

Newf.