Sign in with
Your question

Is Rosewill a trusted brand?

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2012 12:01:57 AM

I am trying to tell this guy that rosewill is a trusted brand but he says it isn't. Who is in the wrong?

More about : rosewill trusted brand

a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:07:01 AM

Rosewill is the house brand of Newegg.com. While I'd probably go ahead and use one of their computer cases or low cost accessories, it's really going to depend on the product.

While I trust Newegg as a business, not sure I'd trust my hard earned money on Rosewill components.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:07:37 AM

It depends, if we are talking about their PSU then no...their PSUs suck, only the HIVE series is aceptable.

but most of their products are not bad.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:25:02 AM

aqualipt said:
It depends, if we are talking about their PSU then no...their PSUs suck, only the HIVE series is aceptable...

This was true until Rosewill released their RG series. Prior to that, their reputation for PSU quality was pretty poor, although at least one unit from the RP series (Stallion iirc) passed Jonnyguru testing. Many of their units were overrated and prone to failure.
Beginning with the RG units, and continuing with the HIVE and CAPSTONE lines, they've cleaned up their act bigtime, consistently doing well in competent technical reviews.
Aqualipt's remark shows just how difficult it can be to repair a bad reputation, but Rosewill seems to be making a good effort of it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:36:43 AM

aqualipt said:
It depends, if we are talking about their PSU then no...their PSUs suck, only the HIVE series is aceptable.

but most of their products are not bad.
+1 re PSUs.

Newegg buys bulk from people who don't have a brand or who don't want their name on it at the price they are selling, then brands them Rosewill. Some products turn out great. Some are iffy. Some (like the PSUs) you avoid because specs can change totally for same part number so you can't trust reviews.

I've bought a rosewill router (turned out iffy, replaced it) cables (fine) and other stuff.

Newwgg customer service has always been great, so if you do hit a problem they will bail you out. If that is what's meant by " rosewill is a trusted brand" then you are right. If what you meant by "trusted brand" is "It's a Rosewill so you can just buy it without reading reviews" then your friend is right.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:49:12 AM

Onus said:
This was true until Rosewill released their RG series. Prior to that, their reputation for PSU quality was pretty poor, although at least one unit from the RP series (Stallion iirc) passed Jonnyguru testing. Many of their units were overrated and prone to failure.
Beginning with the RG units, and continuing with the HIVE and CAPSTONE lines, they've cleaned up their act bigtime, consistently doing well in competent technical reviews.
Aqualipt's remark shows just how difficult it can be to repair a bad reputation, but Rosewill seems to be making a good effort of it.

Good point, but i think that one should not go cheap on PSUs they have the potential to kill your system in matter of seconds if they are faulty, i always recomend to get a PSU with atleast 75-100w more power than what you need so that it doesnt overheat or deteriorates.

m
l
August 10, 2012 12:52:28 AM

tsnor said:
+1 re PSUs.

Newegg buys bulk from people who don't have a brand or who don't want their name on it at the price they are selling, then brands them Rosewill. Some products turn out great. Some are iffy. Some (like the PSUs) you avoid because specs can change totally for same part number so you can't trust reviews.

I've bought a rosewill router (turned out iffy, replaced it) cables (fine) and other stuff.

Newwgg customer service has always been great, so if you do hit a problem they will bail you out. If that is what's meant by " rosewill is a trusted brand" then you are right. If what you meant by "trusted brand" is "It's a Rosewill so you can just buy it without reading reviews" then your friend is right.

I read reviews on everything, even tried and true corsair items.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 12:55:09 AM

taxemicshadow said:
I read reviews on everything, even tried and true corsair items.

I really dont trust any newegg review, most of them are written by people who barely know how to use a computer, i highly suggest you to read ONLY professional reviews.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 1:48:00 AM

Yeah, most Newegg reviews are fluff. That's why I specifically suggested competent technical reviews. There are a few other sites, but to me that means HardwareSecrets, Jonnyguru, HardOCP, Anandtech, and XbitLabs; especially the first three. Tom's claims to have the testing hardware in house, but I don't think they've done a top caliber review with it yet.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:05:01 AM

aqualipt said:
Good point, but i think that one should not go cheap on PSUs they have the potential to kill your system in matter of seconds if they are faulty, i always recomend to get a PSU with atleast 75-100w more power than what you need so that it doesnt overheat or deteriorates.

after about ~60$ in the psus, most psus will have over voltage control, under voltage control etc. at that point, the most a psu will do is die out and not take something down with it. Special attention needs to be made if the unit is above 650w, as that's when ripples can occur in units(which is why the curve for higher end units starts to spike)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:07:04 AM

dudewitbow said:
after about ~60$ in the psus, most psus will have over voltage control, under voltage control etc. at that point, the most a psu will do is die out and not take something down with it. Special attention needs to be made if the unit is above 650w, as that's when ripples can occur in units(which is why the curve for higher end units starts to spike)

Yeah, but the goal is not to buy a PSU will die without taking any component with it, the goal is to buy a high quality and efficient PSU that will last you a long time
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:11:43 AM

aqualipt said:
Yeah, but the goal is not to buy a PSU will die without taking any component with it, the goal is to buy a high quality and efficient PSU that will last you a long time

different units have better/worse fans than other units. the first factor in heat is load, as a psu on 50% load is more efficient than a psu at like 10% load. the other is fan and circuitry. even very high end psus can be hot. you have to look through different reviews to see how hot they get, as heat is the #1 thing that causes hardware deterioration. If one would want to avoid heat, the #1 thing they should be doing is getting a gold/platinum certified unit, as its more or less near 90% efficient
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:13:37 AM

Since we're speaking about Rosewill, I have a Rosewill Blackbone Mid-Tower case I got off Newegg several months ago. I'm trying to do a PC build thats good for gaming, but I'm not sure if a Mid-Towers the best. Should I go big and get a Full-Tower? Anyone here have any advice?

Anyway to answer your question (@taxemicshadow) the reviews I read that made me get this one where pretty good; decent cable management and airflow. Enough room for CD drives and everything, nothing too fancy.
Although I haven't used it yet it seems like a pretty straight-foward case (less than $40 even).
If there were to be anything wrong with Rosewill I'd say that they don't seem to be the most "cutting edge, super duper, nerdtastic" catering brand out there like "Alienware, or iBuyPower, or !CyberdomeUltraTX 2000+12!!
Judging from the name and type-face they use I get the sense that the people making this stuff are the old "mom 'n' pop type mechanics for computers kind of folk". Then again that what I could figure for tomshardware.com, but hey, here we all are.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:16:01 AM

starvinmarvinmartianmanhunter said:
Since we're speaking about Rosewill, I have a Rosewill Blackbone Mid-Tower case I got off Newegg several months ago. I'm trying to do a PC build thats good for gaming, but I'm not sure if a Mid-Towers the best. Should I go big and get a Full-Tower? Anyone here have any advice?

The size of the case will not give your more fps, a better CPU/GPU will.
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:21:26 AM

.... and a competent review will cover that when it comes to PSUs, as they dissect the unit and evaluate all the parts and soldering. Rosewill is selling PSUs made by some good companies. The Capstone series is very similar in quality and performance with such PSUs as the Corsair AX series and Seasonic x series.
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:29:23 AM

aqualipt said:
The size of the case will not give your more fps, a better CPU/GPU will.

Yeah I figured as much. I got a coolermaster heatsink fan thats pretty big and just fits the case, and from what I've seen the decent gaming GPUs (haven't gotten one yet) are just as big. Is space as big a factor if you've got the right components?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 2:33:24 AM

Yeah I figured as much. I got a coolermaster heatsink fan thats pretty big and just fits the case, and from what I've seen the decent gaming GPUs (haven't gotten one yet) are just as big. Is space as big a factor if you've got the right components?

I suggest you creat your own thread and specify what case you have and what parts you want to upgrade, hijacking a thread is not a nice thing to do, besides...you will get more help by creating your own thread as the main subject will be to help you :) 
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:47:01 AM

aqualipt said:
I suggest you creat your own thread and specify what case you have and what parts you want to upgrade, hijacking a thread is not a nice thing to do, besides...you will get more help by creating your own thread as the main subject will be to help you :) 

Just giving taxemicshadow my 2.5 cents on Rosewill products, no intent on hijacking Air Force One :whistle:  . Still, your help has been appreciated :sol: 
m
l
August 10, 2012 3:29:42 AM

Just giving taxemicshadow my 2.5 cents on Rosewill products, no intent on hijacking Air Force One :whistle:  . Still, your help has been appreciated :sol: 

QUICK! EVERYONE HOLD ON! WE'RE GOIN DOWN *silently screams* aahhhhhhhhhhh!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 9:58:05 AM

For the brand in general, I've had no problems. I've bought their cases, a router, USB wireless N dongle, cables, and fans, but no PSUs. I like their cases, the router and dongle are still in service, and I've been happy with the cables and fans. I heartily recommend their cases (even though I'm not currently using one myself), and have suggested them from time to time on other things too.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 10:23:53 AM

Well i wouldn't say their a trusted brand but their far from the worst also not all their PSU are bad the ones built by superflower are decent and reliable. Every power supply is different, just because a psu is made by a "fair" company doesn't necessarily make it a bad/mediocre psu. Cracks me up when people say stuff they have no clue as to what their talking about just like the other day some member was trying to get this op to only buy a Corsair psu because he wasn't sure about the xfx psu i recommended but he was sure the TX he was recommending was way better when little did he know both were built by seasonic lol what a joke.
m
l
August 10, 2012 4:59:47 PM

I am sure like any company they have good components and bad. I purchased a universal laptop power supply of theirs a few years ago for my mother-in-law who lost the original power supply to her dog eating the cable. This spring she lost the adapter to connect the cable to her laptop, so I called Rosewill support and they immediately shipped out a new adapter, no questions asked, no charge. So, while I cannot vouch for the overall quality of their products, I can say that they do have good customer service and stand behind their products.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:36:45 AM

I have had one of the Rosewill Xtreme 750w PSUs for 2 years and haven't had a single issue with it. That is the only Rosewill product I have ever used so I can't speak for the entire brand but I am happy so far.
m
l
Related resources
!