Sign in with
Your question

Which CPU is best for video editing? (Intel)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Video Editing
Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2012 10:01:49 PM

So. I've been looking to upgrade my Core 2 Duo computer from '07 with all fresh and speedy hardware, as this computer is getting a little sluggish. I've already bought everything except the CPU, and am stuck on which one to get. I was looking at the Core i7 3770 Ivy, however, I feel like a better price to performance ratio can be had by getting a slightly lower performance CPU.

Basically, I just want what will satisfy gaming and video editing, while being somewhat future-proof, meaning that I would like to get 4 to 5 years out of it before upgrading again.

Here's the specs of all the current parts I have:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Socket 1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650 Watt Green Power Supply
Western Digital WD10EADS 1 TB SATA HDD
Seagate ST3500630AS 500 GB SATA HDD
Seagate ST3750640AS 750 GB SATA HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 2GB Overclocked edition

The old machine will turn into an HTPC, as it's still quite useful, just not for video editing or gaming anymore :) 
The current one is a Pentium 4, which somehow plays stable video under Xubuntu.

I would do my own research, but I haven't bought parts in a while and don't really have a clue anymore about what plays nice with each other. I have a feeling the 3770K is a little overkill and isn't really needed.

More about : cpu video editing intel

a c 154 à CPUs
December 25, 2012 11:07:40 PM

ttcole1254 said:
So. I've been looking to upgrade my Core 2 Duo computer from '07 with all fresh and speedy hardware, as this computer is getting a little sluggish. I've already bought everything except the CPU, and am stuck on which one to get. I was looking at the Core i7 3770 Ivy, however, I feel like a better price to performance ratio can be had by getting a slightly lower performance CPU.

Basically, I just want what will satisfy gaming and video editing, while being somewhat future-proof, meaning that I would like to get 4 to 5 years out of it before upgrading again.

Here's the specs of all the current parts I have:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Socket 1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650 Watt Green Power Supply
Western Digital WD10EADS 1 TB SATA HDD
Seagate ST3500630AS 500 GB SATA HDD
Seagate ST3750640AS 750 GB SATA HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 2GB Overclocked edition

The old machine will turn into an HTPC, as it's still quite useful, just not for video editing or gaming anymore :) 
The current one is a Pentium 4, which somehow plays stable video under Xubuntu.

I would do my own research, but I haven't bought parts in a while and don't really have a clue anymore about what plays nice with each other. I have a feeling the 3770K is a little overkill and isn't really needed.

What is your budget. Really the best would be the I7, with it's four cores and hyperthreading it will knock out video editing with no trouble.
m
l
December 26, 2012 12:37:16 AM

My budget would probably be about $250 to 260 on the CPU. I'm willing to go a bit higher if the advantages are there. The absolute max would have to be $280.

My previous budget was around $300, but some sacrifices have to be made. I plan on adding an SSD and possibly watercooling in a year or two.
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 à CPUs
December 26, 2012 2:12:44 AM

You have a z68 chipset on that board right? It will have issues running IB if its still on an older bios. Any way to update it? if not your best best is the 2500/2600k.
m
l
December 26, 2012 8:09:12 AM

Yes it does have the z68 chipset, however I got it used from a friend, and he upgraded the BIOS before selling it to me.
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:06:34 AM

I ended up going with the Core i5 3570K CPU and ended up buying a $60 Cooler Master case with the money I saved from getting it instead of the i7 :) . I would've enjoyed the i7, but I feel that the i5 will be plenty enough, especially while overclocked. I have a custom cooler with two 120 mil fans, so I should be able to keep it relatively cool :) .

Picked up the processor for $215 and the HAF 912 case for $60 at TigerDirect.
m
l
April 2, 2013 12:23:12 PM

Hey ttcole, just wondering how you are enjoying your computer. I'm in the process of selecting parts for first computer and I'm curious about your satisfaction level with your system. Thanks.
m
l
!