Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What of PSU do I need!

Last response: in Components
Share
December 25, 2012 10:34:18 PM

Hi all,

I am creating my first computer build and I don't really know how many watts my PSU should be! Now I am on a strict budget of $650 so please! I need help!!

Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.4 GHz
HiS Radeon 7850 2 GB 256 bit
MSI 970A-G46 Mobo with UEFI BIOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
Corsair Vengeance 8 gigs of RAM (2x4)
Lite-On 4X Blu-Ray Drive
Bytecc 52 in 1 Card Reader
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case
And determined power supply!

So please help!

-Max

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:40:49 PM

Hi :) 

ANY decent make 500 will do...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 10:52:21 PM

Thanks Brett! Also just want your opinion. Do you think MSI mobos are good for gaming?
Or the one I've picked out?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:54:13 PM

Here's a good quality psu for a good price :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has a single rail with +12V@40A, which is more than enough for the 7850 and the total wattage for your system.
The brand of the mobos don't count for performance in gaming, it's the gpu(most important) and cpu(also important).
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 10:57:11 PM

Thanks so much! But do feel that MSI motherboards are made well?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 11:33:00 PM

maxicusdagreat said:
Thanks so much! But do feel that MSI motherboards are made well?


Hi :) 

I sell them in my shops, they are mid range but good quality ...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 12:15:45 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I sell them in my shops, they are mid range but good quality ...

All the best Brett :) 



Sounds good, but do you recommend a specific board? My build will be used mainly for gaming, and video editing. So far my specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core Black Edition 3.4 GHz CPU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
HiS Radeon 7850 2 GB 256 bit Graphics GPU
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 watt PSU
Bytecc Media Reader
Lite-On Blu-ray Reader
Corsair Vengeance 8 gigabyte RAM (2x4)
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid-Tower Gaming case

Currently: MSI 970A-G46 Mobo with UEFI BIOS

Let me know if there is anything I should change. I am only willing to spend up to $80.00 on a motherboard by the way.

-Max
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 12:17:43 AM

Do you have all the parts from what store and what's your total budget ?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 12:24:28 AM

maxicusdagreat said:
Sounds good, but do you recommend a specific board? My build will be used mainly for gaming, and video editing. So far my specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core Black Edition 3.4 GHz CPU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
HiS Radeon 7850 2 GB 256 bit Graphics GPU
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 watt PSU
Bytecc Media Reader
Lite-On Blu-ray Reader
Corsair Vengeance 8 gigabyte RAM (2x4)
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid-Tower Gaming case

Currently: MSI 970A-G46 Mobo with UEFI BIOS

Let me know if there is anything I should change. I am only willing to spend up to $80.00 on a motherboard by the way.

-Max



Hi :) 

We always recommend ASUS... THEY ARE THE BEST IN QUALITY by far...

And the WORST are ASROCK...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 12:26:04 AM

djangoringo said:
Do you have all the parts from what store and what's your total budget ?


I have not yet ordered the parts but they are coming from Newegg. My total budget is $675
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 12:47:26 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

We always recommend ASUS... THEY ARE THE BEST IN QUALITY by far...

And the WORST are ASROCK...

All the best Brett :) 


Thank you! So I know its kind of stupid thing to ask but, I need a motherboard $85 and below. So in your opinion what is the best? :o 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 12:55:10 AM

My recommendation :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $630.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $650.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

All from newegg totals about that.
You'll have in the first a much better cpu and a equal gpu, in the second a worse cpu(compared with the i5 but still better than the x4 for gaming) and a better gpu.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:10:03 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

We always recommend ASUS... THEY ARE THE BEST IN QUALITY by far...

And the WORST are ASROCK...

All the best Brett :) 


Not anymore most of their manufacturing is in mainland china, so good luck on the chinese making the build quality like Taiwan does.... if you havnt already notice it in the p8 boards... ASROCK has actually been having a great reputation since its history of being under the umbrella of ASUS operations, however their reliability has yet to be seen...
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:24:06 AM

Thank you so much! But should I really go with an Asrock
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 1:31:07 AM

Asrock is a good brand nowadays, it has mobos with good quality/features, as good as the other ones.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:40:34 AM

So would an Extreme3 be good? Because I really do prefer that one
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 1:43:36 AM

You're talking about what mobo/chipset ?
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:00:34 AM

djangoringo said:
You're talking about what mobo/chipset ?


Mobo:
Asrock 970 Extreme3

Chipset:
Radeon HD 7850 2 gig 256 bit
Phenom II X4 or FX-6200
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 2:05:41 AM

So you don't want any intel cpu like i recommended ?
Cause it's better, just saying.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:14:17 AM

I don't know! This is hard! See currently use the Phenom II X2 on my HP laptop! I love it but, is Intel really that much better?

Intel Pros: AMD Pros:

Well made Made for gaming
Easy to overclock Easy to overclock
Great hyper threading Great value for money
Sometimes faster Super fast for cheap
Hardly any lag Reliability

Intel Cons: AMD Cons:

EXPENSIVE Can be cheaply made
Not as good value for money (debatable) Can lag from time to time
Can be not as powerful Uses twice as much power as Intel


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 2:24:44 AM

For gaming intel are the better ones, an i3 is better than the x4 for gaming, the price ain't that much see the build prices that i gave you, also gave one with i5.
Also lower power consumption and support is one the side of intel cpus.

See this : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...

I could put more benchmarks, but i just put a recent one.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:36:35 AM

Okay you win. I'll go for the i5
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:56:17 AM

Revised Specs:

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid-Tower Case
ASrock B75M-DGS Mobo
Intel Core i5-3350p Ivy Bridge 3.3 GHz (to be overclocked)
HiS Radeon 7850 2 gb 256-BIT GPU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 gb 7200 rpm HDD
G-Skill Ripjaws X-Series 8 gigs of RAM (2x4)
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 watt PSU
Bytecc Card Reader
Lite-on Blu Ray Drive
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 3:01:48 AM

my advice, don't get the coolermaster psu(they're low quality psus), get an antec neo 520w in newegg.
Also are you sure you'll need a bluray drive ? with the money you save from a bluray drive you can buy a better gpu.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 3:11:09 AM

djangoringo said:
my advice, don't get the coolermaster psu(they're low quality psus), get an antec neo 520w in newegg.
Also are you sure you'll need a bluray drive ? with the money you save from a bluray drive you can buy a better gpu.


Yeah I'll drop the cooler master and the blu ray
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 3:15:39 AM

Thanks for the suggesttion but the Antec Neo is a little bit out of budget...
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:24:12 AM

But would 450 watts work for my system?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 4:29:38 AM

For a 7850 or 660 gtx yes, for a better card no, that's with all parts in mind.
It's a quality psu, it was used on toms hardware 500$ build for a 7850+pentium g860.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 12:06:26 PM

Hi :) 

Regarding motherboards...

We see DOZENS of failed Asrock boards in my shops every year, we see a FEW failed ASUS boards...

This isn't about manufacturer or country, its about QUALITY CONTROL ...or lack of it...

My best advice is, do NOT buy Asrock.... ANY other make yes, Asrock NO...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:33:39 PM

Okay so if I do get another board, what should I get other than the Asrock.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 4:39:03 PM

maxicusdagreat said:
Okay so if I do get another board, what should I get other than the Asrock.


Hi :) 

Any other make is fine, but preferably Asus...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 5:10:21 PM

Asus boards are overpriced, it doesn't have good quality/features as the asrock nowadays for the same price, asrock brand was a mediocre one in the past, but now it's one of the best brands.
Also client support for asus is terrible.
An asrock board will do.

E.G : this is what you get for an asus board : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for less price : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

See, asus b75 is way overpriced and has less features...

Other e.g. : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 6:23:36 PM

I know it looks great but are they reliable?
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 6:47:59 PM

I really like the MSI one. But I still kind of like the Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 7:00:08 PM

maxicusdagreat said:
I really like the MSI one. But I still kind of like the Asrock Extreme 4 Z77



Hi :) 

NO Asrock board is reliable.... get the MSI ...

Already said..

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 7:02:51 PM

Can you back that up?
Cause asrock is as reliable nowadays as ANY other brand.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 7:56:00 PM

djangoringo said:
Can you back that up?
Cause asrock is as reliable nowadays as ANY other brand.



Hi :) 

Not by the number of FAILED ASROCK motherboards we get in my shops...

They outnumber ALL other makes put together....

Coincidence you think.... ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 8:04:49 PM

You're saying in the past ?
Cause any brand mobo has good chances of getting doa or any other problems, in case you didn't know asrock as nowadays mobos with quality and it's a sub-division of asus.
Check the feedback from asrock owners it doesn't near look as bad as you're describing, by the contrary the asus mobos has been criticized for it's quality and failing rate in the present...
I don't believe that in this fiscal year, the asrock mobos failed more than ALL others together.
In fact there're plenty of reviews and owners praising the mobos, i know for the quality of the components used nowadays they're good ones, it's just a stigma of the past lets you say that.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 8:17:46 PM

djangoringo said:
You're saying in the past ?
Cause any brand mobo has good chances of getting doa or any other problems, in case you didn't know asrock as nowadays mobos with quality and it's a sub-division of asus.
Check the feedback from asrock owners it doesn't near look as bad as you're describing, by the contrary the asus mobos has been criticized for it's quality and failing rate in the present...
I don't believe that in this fiscal year, the asrock mobos failed more than ALL others together.
In fact there're plenty of reviews and owners praising the mobos, i know for the quality of the components used nowadays they're good ones, it's just a stigma of the past lets you say that.



Hi :) 

I say it because its true for this year and as far back as I can remember...

We will NOT sell any Asrock board because of it... we will and do sell all other makes...

But this is about the OP`s choice, he can read your opinion and mine and he can choose...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 8:33:58 PM

To bad, cause 99.9999% of the shops around the world sell any asrock mobos.
I guess we're all wrong and you're right, such a crusader for quality.
Yes, he can choose, but in facts not mere supposition.
He can buy a h77m or h77 pro 4 or b75, z77, etc it will be as good if not better than the other ones at the same price.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 8:46:18 PM

djangoringo said:
To bad, cause 99.9999% of the shops around the world sell any asrock mobos.
I guess we're all wrong and you're right, such a crusader for quality.
Yes, he can choose, but in facts not mere supposition.
He can buy a h77m or h77 pro 4 or b75, z77, etc it will be as good if not better than the other ones at the same price.



Hi :) 

I am NOT a crusader for quality lol, its purely a financial decision....

ALL the products we sell in my shops, we (me) Guarantee ourselves for 12 months.... not a manufacturers guarantee...our own....

Now to give that guarantee, there are certain makes we wont sell as we see too many failed items.... the main two manufacturers we wont sell are... ASROCK and MAXTOR....

All the best Brett :) 

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 8:57:14 PM

Like i said, it's your loss, many uk pc shops(online or physical) sell any asrock mobo for different lgas, i guess if it was prejudicial to their finances they would stop selling it, and by the contrary asrock mobos are bestsellers, take my word, they sell a lot on all places in the world, minimal quality complains or failings.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 9:14:32 PM

djangoringo said:
Like i said, it's your loss, many uk pc shops(online or physical) sell any asrock mobo for different lgas, i guess if it was prejudicial to their finances they would stop selling it, and by the contrary asrock mobos are bestsellers, take my word, they sell a lot on all places in the world, minimal quality complains or failings.



Hi :) 

You obviously know little about business...

The ONLINE resellers (box shifters) DON'T CARE about customers returns (RMA`s).. they will get their money back from the relevant manufacturer... so they lose nothing,,,, and they have no reputation to lose..

I CARE about my customers and my reputation for honesty....

Its kept me in Business for a LOT of years , and although small Computer shops that give excellent service and care about their customers seem to be a dying breed, I must be doing something right to have survived against the "box shifters"

But you carry on defending the indefensible... and I will carry on selling QUALITY products, and not rubbish...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 9:19:51 PM

I didn't say only the online ones, but also the physical shops around the world...
I really don't want to discuss any of this any further, asrock has quality it's not a dishonesty selling their mobos nor cheating the customers.
Asrock has quality and reliability.
And that's all.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 9:27:37 PM

djangoringo said:
I didn't say only the online ones, but also the physical shops around the world...
I really don't want to discuss any of this any further, asrock has quality it's not a dishonesty selling their mobos nor cheating the customers.
Asrock has quality and reliability.
And that's all.



Hi :) 

Asrock are rubbish and I will happily defend that statement in any court in the land, AND I have the figures to back it up... how about you, or is it just YOUR personal opinion ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 9:33:30 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-pegatron-acquis...

"But ASRock is seemingly best known for its motherboards, ranked #3 in the industry"

Asrock is worth 1000000000000000000000 more than what ever you own.

And no need to prove in court, the customers are always right, and asrock is one of the best brands for motherboards.
End of discussion, if you want sue them lol...
m
0
l
!