multiple case fans help?

chaser210

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hi, I have a ASRock Extreme 4 mobo, which came with 2 CPU fan Connectors ( 4pins on one and 3 on other), power fan connector, and 3 Chassis fan Connectors (4pins/3pins/3pins).

So If I have 3 case fans, should I connect all 3 fans to the motherboard or should I connect to the power supply? Does it matter with one or another? (I read it somewhere that you can control fan speed if you connect them to motherboard?)

As far as I know, CPU fan is mainly for the heatsink (I don't get why do you need 2, is there a heatsink that has 2 connectors? maybe?), power fan connector is for powersupply. So If I connect all 3 fans to the motherboard, how would you connect them if you dealing with 4 or more fans?

If there a specific way that's better than another? Does it matter if you connect them to 4 pins or 3 pins?

Thanks...

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
The only good deal with plugging fans to your motherboard is that it gives you the option to control your fans BUT only with 4-pins connector. It's better to conect it on the power supply because it looks better and don't make a lot of cables in front of the mobo.

And yeah some cpu coolers need 2 connectors (like this one : http://www.noctua.at/images/products/fullsize/noctua_nh_d14_1.jpg) because there's 2 fans but they often come with a 2 to 1 4-pin connector

You can plug a 4 pin on a 3-pin but get sure to not plug it wrong way or it will not boot.

- The Brownie

chaser210

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the respond, but let me ask again just to make sure.

So when you plug your case fan to motherboard, the ONLY time you can control the fan speed is to use the 4 pins connector? It doesn't work with 3pins. So does that mean if there is only 1 4pins connector you can only control 1 fan?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Exactly. One pin +12V, second is GND, third one is to detect the fan RPM, fourth is to control the fan RPM

The fourth pin is the pin that some fans don't have, and some do. SOME motherboards will let you control your fans by putting down the voltage if you are using 3 pin but i've seen none in front of me.

- The Brownie

chaser210

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks!!!