One last night sleep, did I forget anything?

koopmannster

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
After a few days pros and cons I endet up with this.

motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
cpu: Core i7 I7-3930K
cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
hdd system: 512gb ssd samsung 830
hdd work drive: 256gb ssd samsung 830
Backupdrive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2 TB
disk drive: LiteOn iHBS212 blueray combo
gfx : GainwardGeForce GTX 680 Phantom (4 GB)
ram: 32 gb Kingston HyperX 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24
psu: XFX Black Edition P1-1250-BEFX
Tower: Cooler Master Cosmos II
Thermal Paste
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Anything you just know do not like each other?
Anything I forgot?

koopmannster

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Work station.
Iray rendering. 4 way sli.
Stereoscopic hd video and animation production.

This rig cost 40% less than dell and hps high end workstaion.

But are there any incompatibilities?

koopmannster

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah Tassietim your probably right, have also thought about it. Swapping them a few times already;)

I think that might be the case "Big Troll";), quadros really havent done it for me or any of the others in the office in 3dsm. And firepro isnt compatible with Iray.. although I wish they were as they scale much better in crossfire and give abit better viewport performance.
In denmark Quadro 4000 with 4 gb cost 6200 dollar....

if they use OpenCL, it works but ok.

geforce cards are not good for workstation uses since nvidia artifically caps their performance in these tasks. 3d work should be done on a quadro unless somehow geforce cards can do better in your program

koopmannster

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I just wanted to give all a short update:

I went out and bought the above described.

To add optimum airflow I addet with 5 extra fans for the cosmos 2 (Excalibur, I found them as recomendet on coolermasters homesite).

Generally it went smooth and I had it assamblied in 4-5 hours going slow but steady. Only unpredicted obstackle really was some bios settings with the 2 samsung disks beeing named the same and the order in which I did my overclocking.
Performance is great 4.7 ghz on 2133 mhz ram on an easy gamers oc profile.
Running 24/7 rendering hitting max 69 degrees celcius.
Cinebenching 13.5.

This machine is practicly silent.... BUT. This is a warning to others. DO NOT BUY excalibur fans for cosmos 2 case. The highest sounds there is is a small vague clicking from the fans. Some say its becouse of the cosmos 2 fan controler only have 1 amp outputs and excalibur wants 0,46 or something. but even with only 2 excaliburs per channel I get the little clicks. So nut quite sure.
Its not a disaster but I guess its avoidable with other fans.

I can strongly recomend this setup as workstation. It handles my scenes as I hadnt even hoped for. And much more silent too.

Just aside I have a little question. Howcome the noctua d14 cooler only run 900 rpm when max is 1200 or 1300 when I prime95 toture test?