Is this Graphic Card compatible with this Motherboard?

stuartgrieve

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
Im looking to build a desktop in the near future, and am browsing benchmarks to find the best value for money on parts.
Im not looking to spend more than £120 on a graphics card and at the moment im looking at the Radeon HD 6850. My question is, is this compatible with the Asus M5A97 Motherboard?
thanks in advance,
Stuart

stuartgrieve

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I havent looked at Power Supplies yet, where can i find what wattage i'd need?
and are you 100% sure they're both compatible?? im sorry but this is my first build and dont want to make any mistakes

Yes the card is 100% compatable with the motherboard. I have the same motherboard.
Most single graphics need a 500 watt or less QUALITY power supply.
Dual chip cards such as the Nvidia 690,590 ,ATI 6990,5990 need a QUALITY 750 watt power supply.
Here is a link that lists power supplys by Quality. Tier one is the best but a little pricey.
Tier three is the lowest I would suggest anyone go.
But without knowing your final parts list it is hard to give an exact wattage number.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
http://psucalc.tk/

stuartgrieve

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Okay thanks!
uh the case i was looking at has a 650W power supply with it, will that be enough? here are the parts I am looking at, am i missing anything?

Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX 6100 Six Core 3.3Ghz
CM Centurion 5ii case w/ 650W PSU
Radeon HD 6850 Graphics card
G Skill 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
SG 2TB HDD
Samsung DVD RW

to be more precise on bare minimum power consumption. bare minimum with MOST single card builds will be 430w quality psu with everything at stock or near at stock. 500-550 is the standard single card build, 600-650 is for heavy overclocking or overclocking 1 6pin cards like the 6850 or a single new gen dual gpu cards(gtx 690), 700-750 is aimed at sli/crossfire of cards that require 2 6pin connectors.

That appears to be the 650GX series power supply.
It is tier 4 on the list.
You should be fine with it as you will not be stressing it with your setup. Just maek sure you do not close it up in a computer desk where it will overheat. it is a little sensitive to high temperatures.

Missing:
Peripherals, monitor , mouse, keyboard, speakers.
Operating system, Windows 7 for gamong.

stuartgrieve

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

so having a 650W PSU wouldnt be a problem?
as it comes with the case, or would having too much wattage spare produce an issue?

well it depends, psus age overtime, which brings down its quality. though a 650w psu that's not crap tier will serve its purpose if its powering a single card. though i wouldn't like or want to test it in a dual card setup.

stuartgrieve

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

so in the future if i want to run dual graphic cards, i'd have to upgrade my PSU to what about 750W? But for the meantime 650W with all the components listed will be sufficient?

I would assume it would be sufficient. the gpu takes most of the power, and 650w(even if it dwindled down to like 500w due to age) would still be more than enough on average.