PLS HELP! Overheating MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II

NeuromancerLV

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
My MSI 6870 Twin Frozr II, after months and months of no issues, overheats as soon as I start playing anything. I've blown out the tower and the video card with compressed air. The fans seem fine, but it idles at 60-70c and hits 100c and shuts comp down after 30 mins of usage.

How can I fix this problem? It's still a great card, and I wouldn't be able to replace it for less than $200. Is there anything I can do?

drums101

Distinguished
check to make sure the heatsink is still properly attached....maybe a screw came loose and the contact between the gpu and sink isnt good anymore other than what rockdpm said thats about it. Its either bad or the heatsink came loose (unlikely but possible)

NeuromancerLV

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I'll dig up the reciept and see if the card is still under MSI warrenty. It should be, I think it is 3 years from purchase date.

The card is on stock settings, but is factory overclocked. I think I am getting enough airflow, I haven't had any probs with CPU overheats and the air coming out of the case is cool.

drums101

Distinguished
yea that sounds like either card is bad or bad contact between the gpu and heatsink...if the air was warm coming out the back then the card is just producing alot more heat then the sink can handle....as dudewitbow said pull the card out and give it a look over if all appears well I would RMA it

TRENDING THREADS