Explorer Folder Views

Is there anyway to change the "default" views in XP SP2 Windows
Explorer. I'm refering to the views set when you click Tools, Folder
Options, View Tab, "Reset all Folders".

It appears some analysis is applied to each folders contents & Explorer
uses different views based on the quantity and file types. In my
system the majority of folders display with the Tiles view although
there are others in thumbnail & some in filmstrip.

Actually, this would be very acceptable ... if I could change the Tile
View to Detail View. [Despite much research & trial and error, there
seems to be no reasonable way to use the customizing controls to
accomplish this for a system of thousands of folders ... If I've missed
something, please let me know.]

Is the default Tile hard coded into the program or is there someplace
... anyplace it can be changed?

Ram
13 answers Last reply
More about explorer folder views

    Thanks, but that's not the issue. As my note said, I'm at SP2 which
    remembers 5000 ... and I did verify that in my registry.

    The customization problem is that you can't set up individual folder
    views if the "remember each folders view setting" is unchecked & if you
    check it, the "apply to all subfolders" in the customize folder dialog
    doesn't work.

    Again, the "reset" views would be ok if I could only change Tile to
    detail.

    ram

    XP only remembers 400 settings. This setting needs to be modified.

    XP forgets your folder view settings
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm

    Your view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrect
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813711

    Folder Views - Keep Settings
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_f.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1116891841.179504.155130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
    xramx <xramx@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Is there anyway to change the "default" views in XP SP2 Windows
    > Explorer. I'm refering to the views set when you click Tools, Folder
    > Options, View Tab, "Reset all Folders".
    >
    > It appears some analysis is applied to each folders contents & Explorer
    > uses different views based on the quantity and file types. In my
    > system the majority of folders display with the Tiles view although
    > there are others in thumbnail & some in filmstrip.
    >
    > Actually, this would be very acceptable ... if I could change the Tile
    > View to Detail View. [Despite much research & trial and error, there
    > seems to be no reasonable way to use the customizing controls to
    > accomplish this for a system of thousands of folders ... If I've missed
    > something, please let me know.]
    >
    > Is the default Tile hard coded into the program or is there someplace
    > .. anyplace it can be changed?
    >
    > Ram

    Unless I'm missing something, you should open a folder, set its view to 'details' then use the folder options 'Apply to All Folders' button.

    Keith

    Keith Miller wrote:

    > Unless I'm missing something, you should open a folder, set its view
    > to 'details' then use the folder options 'Apply to All Folders'
    > button.

    That usually works for me too, but folders that contain image files
    seem to switch to Thumbnails (if there are lots of images) or Filmstrip
    (if there are just a few).

    If you right click on the icon of the folder, then >properties
    >customize (tab), set the folder template to "Documents", that should
    do the trick.

    --
    Segovia - 24/05/2005 5:21:39 AM

    .........If you also do not want these folders to display thumbnails of
    contents, you can create a new folder within that particular folder and
    name it 'folder.jpg' (without the quotes of course) and THIS blank folder
    will be used for art, which means it will appear as a regular folder
    only.....
    "Segovia" <incorrect@malformed.invalid> wrote in message
    > Keith Miller wrote:
    >
    > > Unless I'm missing something, you should open a folder, set its view
    > > to 'details' then use the folder options 'Apply to All Folders'
    > > button.
    >
    > That usually works for me too, but folders that contain image files
    > seem to switch to Thumbnails (if there are lots of images) or Filmstrip
    > (if there are just a few).
    >
    > If you right click on the icon of the folder, then >properties
    > >customize (tab), set the folder template to "Documents", that should
    > do the trick.
    >
    > --
    > Segovia - 24/05/2005 5:21:39 AM

    My original query requested a way to change the Tile view used as the
    default in Windows Explorer. As of yet, no one has suggested a way to
    do this. I was surprised see many discussion about or around this
    topic when I searched the web and newsgroups, but no source provided
    any solution to how one customizes to a mixture of Detail View and
    Thumbnail View WITHOUT going thru the View menu for every individual
    folder. For any substantial computer system, this is somewhere between
    tedious and impractical. Even if one goes thru the process for each
    folder, should it ever get reset back to the default, severe depression
    would set in if on has lots of thumbnail directories (Like 5 years of
    digital camera pictures).

    In the hope I have overlooked some variation which could yield the
    desired results, I will document my conclusion and at the end of this
    message, the exact steps I went thru to reach them. [By the way, in
    the Scenarios below, there are some apparent extra steps. I put these
    in to maximize repeatability.]

    Here are my conclusions:

    1) With "Remember each Folder's view Settings" Unchecked, the
    default view is Icon and changing the view for any folder changes the
    view for ALL. (See Scenarios 1 & 4)

    2) With "Remember each Folder's view Settings" Checked,

    · Reset all Folders results in a context sensitive
    default view (Senario 2) (which is pretty good if only it would use
    Detail view instead of Tile view for non picture files.)
    · Detail View can only be applied to individual folders
    or All folders (Senario 3 & 5)
    · AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Apply to all Subfolders
    option in the Customize this Folder does not work. (Senerio 5)

    Please feel free to correct me or suggest other alternatives.

    Ram

    Detail Process:

    Scenario 1

    1. OPEN Windows Explorer
    2. Click Tool then Folder Options
    3. Click Restore Defaults on General tab
    4. On View tab, uncheck 'remember folder views"
    5. Click Reset All Folders
    6. Click Yes to Reset all folders dialog popup
    7. Click Apply, then OK on Folder Options to close
    8. Close Windows Explorer, then reopen
    9. All folders display in icon view
    10. Select folder (I'll call Pictures) which has lots of subfolders
    (named by date) containing jpg files
    11. Click View menu, then Customize this folder
    12. On the Customize tab, select Pictures (best for many files) &
    check the Also apply this template to all subfolders
    13. Click apply. The picture folder and all subfolders now display in
    thumbnail view
    .... AS DOES EVERY OTHER FOLDER ON MY MULTIPLE HARD DRIVES!!!!
    Definitely not what I wanted!!!

    Scenario 2

    1 to 9 Same as Scenario 1

    9a. Click Tool then Folder Options & On View tab, CHECK "remember
    folder views", click apply, then ok to close
    10. Close Windows Explorer, then reopen
    11. Folders/Files are displayed in a context sensitive fashion ...
    some tiled, some filmstrip, some thumbnails ....

    Scenario 3 ("Remember Folder View" checked)

    1 to 11 Same as Scenario 2

    12. Select a folder (I'll call Data) which has lots of subfolders by
    application with diverse types of files presently displayed in Tile
    13. Clicking View, then detail changes the specific folder (Data), but
    none of the subfolders
    13. Clicking View, then Customize this Folder does not offer a Detail
    view in the drop down (the Documents selection displays Tile)

    Note: Don't need to change any folders to thumbnail since they all
    display in thumbnail already (see 11 in Scenario 2)

    Scenario 4

    1 to 9 Same as Scenario 1 ("Remember Folder View" unchecked)

    10. Select Data Folder (see Scenario 3, step 12)
    11. Click View, then Details - As in scenario 1 Data changes to detail
    view, but so do all folders and subfolders everywhere

    Scenario 5

    All steps in Scenario 2. ("Remember Folder View" checked & in
    "default View)

    12. Select Data Folder (see Scenario 3, step 12)
    13. Click View, then Details - (Data folder contents displays
    details, but subfolders remain in Tile)
    14. Click Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to All folders -
    Respond Yes to Popup
    15. All Folders everywhere are now in Detail View.
    16. Select Pictures folder (see Scenario 1, step 10) - currently
    shown in Detail View
    17. Click View, Customize This Folder
    18. On the Customize tab, select Pictures (best for many files) &
    check the Also apply this template to all subfolders - Click Apply &
    Ok
    19 The Pictures folder has changed to thumbnail, but the apply to
    subfolders was ignored & all remain in detail view.

    After reading David Candy's post above several times (whew ..) & trying
    some actions I thought might be different, nothing has changed.

    I think the clearest statement of the problem is that using the "Apply
    to All Folders" funtion causes the "Apply to Subfolders" option of the
    "Customize this Folder" in the View menu to NOT WORK!!!

    Well, I guess the next step is to look at Windows Explorer
    Replacements. If anyone know of one that specifically solves this
    problem, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

    ram

    After reading David Candy's post above several times & trying some
    actions I thought might be different, nothing has changed.

    I think the clearest statement of the problem is that using the "Apply
    to All Folders" funtion causes the "Apply to Subfolders" option of the
    "Customize this Folder" in the View menu to NOT WORK!!!

    Well, I guess the next step is to look at Windows Explorer
    Replacements. If anyone know of one that specifically solves this
    problem, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

    ram

    I too am confused by the way the views keep resetting. Thumbnails is good
    for pictures, but icons are better for some and details for others.

    So thank you . I will read your post with care and see if it works for me

    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    xramx wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Scenario 5
    >
    > All steps in Scenario 2. ("Remember Folder View" checked & in
    > "default View)
    >
    > 12. Select Data Folder (see Scenario 3, step 12)
    > 13. Click View, then Details - (Data folder contents displays
    > details, but subfolders remain in Tile)
    > 14. Click Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to All folders -
    > Respond Yes to Popup
    > 15. All Folders everywhere are now in Detail View.
    > 16. Select Pictures folder (see Scenario 1, step 10) - currently
    > shown in Detail View
    > 17. Click View, Customize This Folder
    > 18. On the Customize tab, select Pictures (best for many files) &
    > check the Also apply this template to all subfolders - Click Apply &
    > Ok
    > 19 The Pictures folder has changed to thumbnail, but the apply to
    > subfolders was ignored & all remain in detail view.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    With Remember Views unchecked the saved view for the first folder opened
    applies to all subsequent folders. Not this still saves views but only reads
    the first one.

    Reset deletes all saved views (but not the index to them so Reset may not
    fix problems but usually will).

    If there is no saved view then content sniffing takes place.

    This is a post I make about how to delete all settings. Read it carefully.

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things
    like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift +
    click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear). This is
    a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager.

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and
    delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cabinet
    State and delete the value
    Settings

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    MRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    [the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but
    10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross
    linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the
    wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come
    back).

    You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.

    Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
    In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently
    saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are
    saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view
    settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see
    figure 9.3).

    By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When
    you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

    a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when
    you close the folder.
    b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
    c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last
    viewed it.
    When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the
    following happens:

    a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in
    the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary
    memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows
    Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
    b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened),
    the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows
    Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders
    is deleted from temporary memory.
    c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved
    view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple
    folders.
    Setting All Folders to the Same View
    Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same
    view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change
    made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and
    is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the
    same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following
    procedure.

    To set all folders to the same view
    1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
    2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
    Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab
    of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view
    settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information
    about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views
    and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit

    And check

    NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

    Description
    Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
    desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the positions of open windows and the size and
    position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
    off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

    This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
    at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
    registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
    you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
    Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
    behaves as though the value is 0.

    Value Meaning
    0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
    not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
    1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit Reference

    Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable
    drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions).

    You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
    For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that
    you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    \Defaults

    {F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other
    numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs
    is an ordinary folder). They only appear IF you do an apply to all in that
    type of object.

    as well as a higher set of defaults at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    Settings=

    So the point being in the order that you do things. You want to do your
    overall default setting last. This is how I advised someone who asked

    > Can someone please tell me how to force Windows to keep
    > the seperate folder view settings I choose? I have
    > checked and rechecked the box in folder options for it to
    > remember, but it has no memory for that issue. To be more
    > specific; I want to always have the thumbnail view in My
    > Pictures and also in the Control Panel Dialog, but every
    > time I open them I have to manually set that view.

    Set Control Panel how you want then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders.
    This sets the global default and the Control Panel type of objects defaults
    (but the system default remains the same - it can't be changed but all other
    defaults/settings override it). Then go to an ordinary folder (as My Pics is
    for this feature) and set it how you want all folders but CP. Then Tools -
    View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the file
    folder type of object defaults (CP's default settings will still override
    the global). Then set My Pics how you want it and do nothing else as we are
    saving it by the checkbox Remember Folder Settings AND BY THE PATH WE GOT
    THERE. EG

    Desktop\My Comp\C:\Documents & Settings\user name\My Docs\My Pics
    is a different setting to
    Desktop\My Comp\My Docs\My Pics

    There is some searching for similar settings but the path used, if too
    different, means it won't find the settings for similar named folders.

    The system defaults (and saved settings for individual folders already
    opened) are the only setting unless you've done an Apply To All, eg no
    global or type defaults.

    Plus if you hold down control and click close while in a file folder it also
    updates
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Shellstate=

    This is mainly setting irrelevent things except it holds the global sort,
    which all the others override. But File Open dialog boxes only use this
    setting, so it basically only affects sorting in File Open dialogs. But it
    seems that sometimes an earlier windows versions setting get written here
    and other settings then aren't saved

    typedef struct {
    BOOL fShowAllObjects:1;
    BOOL fShowExtensions:1;
    BOOL fNoConfirmRecycle:1;
    BOOL fShowSysFiles:1;
    BOOL fShowCompColor:1;
    BOOL fDoubleClickInWebView:1;
    BOOL fDesktopHTML:1;
    BOOL fWin95Classic:1;
    BOOL fDontPrettyPath:1;
    BOOL fShowAttribCol:1;
    BOOL fMapNetDrvBtn:1;
    BOOL fShowInfoTip:1;
    BOOL fHideIcons:1;
    BOOL fWebView:1;
    BOOL fFilter:1;
    BOOL fShowSuperHidden:1;
    BOOL fNoNetCrawling:1;
    DWORD dwWin95Unused;
    UINT uWin95Unused;
    LONG lParamSort;
    int iSortDirection;
    UINT version;
    UINT uNotUsed;
    BOOL fSepProcess:1;
    BOOL fStartPanelOn:1;
    BOOL fShowStartPage:1;
    UINT fSpareFlags:13;
    } SHELLSTATE, *LPSHSHELLSTATE;

[...]

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    AMAZING!

    I just tried a variation of what David Candy suggested above & he's
    right!!! With Remember Views unchecked, each instance of the Windows
    explorer can have it's own view!!! Of all folders!!!

    Here's what I did. I have a shortcut for the Windows Explorer on my
    desktop. I clicked it to open, set Remember Views off, & used view to
    set the current selected folder to detail. As in my related senario's,
    ALL folders now have a Detail view.

    Now I opened a second instance of Windows Explorer this time setting
    the folder to Thumbnail. Again all folders changed to Thumbnail ....
    BUT the view in the other open Explorer didn't change .. it remained
    Detail.

    I clicked around to many folders in each Explorer & they were
    consistent within themselves.

    So this means that when remember is unchecked, the view is associated
    with the running Explorer ... not the Folders themselves.

    I'm going to think about this over night & maybe try some variations,
    but it does seem to provide the basis for a solution ... having 2 open
    explorers is not that big a deal.

    Thank You David Candy ...

    ram
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Try this. Uncheck Remember Views. Customise a starting folder (maybe My Docs
    or drag My Pics to the desktop as a shortcut) as thumbnails. Every time you
    open this window every folder you view will be thumbnails. Repeat for
    another folder (say My Computer) and set it to Details.

    Microsoft are proud of their stupid alogarithms. Yet noone understands it so
    noone can predict what might happen.

    > After reading David Candy's post above several times & trying some
    > actions I thought might be different, nothing has changed.
    >
    > I think the clearest statement of the problem is that using the "Apply
    > to All Folders" funtion causes the "Apply to Subfolders" option of the
    > "Customize this Folder" in the View menu to NOT WORK!!!
    >
    > Well, I guess the next step is to look at Windows Explorer
    > Replacements. If anyone know of one that specifically solves this
    > problem, I'd appreciate you letting me know.
    >
    > ram

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    As I said, if only people could predict what will happen. That long post is
    10 years of research (in August).
    > AMAZING!
    >
    > I just tried a variation of what David Candy suggested above & he's
    > right!!! With Remember Views unchecked, each instance of the Windows
    > explorer can have it's own view!!! Of all folders!!!
    >
    > Here's what I did. I have a shortcut for the Windows Explorer on my
    > desktop. I clicked it to open, set Remember Views off, & used view to
    > set the current selected folder to detail. As in my related senario's,
    > ALL folders now have a Detail view.
    >
    > Now I opened a second instance of Windows Explorer this time setting
    > the folder to Thumbnail. Again all folders changed to Thumbnail ....
    > BUT the view in the other open Explorer didn't change .. it remained
    > Detail.
    >
    > I clicked around to many folders in each Explorer & they were
    > consistent within themselves.
    >
    > So this means that when remember is unchecked, the view is associated
    > with the running Explorer ... not the Folders themselves.
    >
    > I'm going to think about this over night & maybe try some variations,
    > but it does seem to provide the basis for a solution ... having 2 open
    > explorers is not that big a deal.
    >
    > Thank You David Candy ...
    >

    > ram

Configuration Explorer Customization Windows XP