How to make my computer quieter?

broteinshake

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello again!

So I have a NZXT M59, decent budget case. I have a Silenx 120mm Blue LED side fan, but it is rather loud. When I took it out the packaging I plugged it into my PSU and tested it. At that time it was very silent, especially compared to the stock side fan. So I hooked everything up and I noticed that the fan was louder than it was before. The dust filter on the M59 is made out of aluminium or something. Can that be the reason why my fan is loud? Any 3rd party dust filters I should check out? Thanks!

My specs:

Case- NZXT M59
Mobo- Asus M5A97
CPU- AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T
GPU- XFX Radeon HD 6950
PSU- Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold
RAM- 8GB Corsair Dominator

Solution
You said that you plugged it into the power supply ? So it's in Molex right ? If it's a molex fan there's no way to change it in the computer. Even if you buy a Molex->3-pin adapter you won't able to adjust the fan speed. The best way should be to tweak your fan molex plug and to put your 12v wire (Yellow) at the place of the 5v (red). This should send less power to the fan and make it quieter. This is not hard to do but it's not as easy as changing the speed. Hope you figure out how to do it or you find another way.

- The Brownie

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
You said that you plugged it into the power supply ? So it's in Molex right ? If it's a molex fan there's no way to change it in the computer. Even if you buy a Molex->3-pin adapter you won't able to adjust the fan speed. The best way should be to tweak your fan molex plug and to put your 12v wire (Yellow) at the place of the 5v (red). This should send less power to the fan and make it quieter. This is not hard to do but it's not as easy as changing the speed. Hope you figure out how to do it or you find another way.

- The Brownie

Solution

broteinshake

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks, I'll try it out. And yes, I plugged it in through molex