Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP not accessable!!

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 6:08:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes and
1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the other
2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes and
the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
permission to access.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Richard Wright

More about : accessable

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 7:04:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100, all
patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My laptop
is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to be
able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get it
to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Stephen

"Richard Wright" <rbw@tis-online.com> wrote in message
news:10jf2uugag7c4d7@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes
and
> 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the
other
> 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes and
> the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
> permission to access.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard Wright
>
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 5:14:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

"Step" <random2222@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:HfSdnVgZVqBBjKfcRVn-jg@adelphia.com...
> I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100,
all
> patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My
laptop
> is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to be
> able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get
it
> to work?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Stephen

More than likely it's still looking for the domain controller at your
office. You will probably have to go into the network properties and change
it to connect to your home network "workgroup", what ever you named it. If
this is a company machine I wouldn't suggest this as you may not be able to
get back on your work domain unless you have administrative rights. I
worked at Ericsson for a couple of years and employees would remove their
pc's from the domain but didn't have local admin rights to the machine so
they couldn't add their pc back to the domain. Also you will have to have
identical accounts on the 2 xp machines with the same Username and Password
as you are logging onto the 2000 laptop.
Hope this helped

Danny
www.CarwileEnterprises.com

>
> "Richard Wright" <rbw@tis-online.com> wrote in message
> news:10jf2uugag7c4d7@corp.supernews.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes
> and
> > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the
> other
> > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes
and
> > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
> > permission to access.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Richard Wright
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:48:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks very much for the assistance. As you probably guessed, I'm very new
at networking. You are correct about my work laptop, I do not want to
change the domain as it is a pain to get back on it. As another option,
could I do VPN or some type of PPTP (point to point tunneling protocol)
instead? My main goals are to be able to 1. send backups onto my (larger
HD) desktops regularly in case my laptop dies again, and 2. to occasionally
print while at home.
I will take your advice on the XP comps, and see if I can at least get them
to talk to each other. Right now I am running Zone Alarm, so I think that
might be why they can't see each other (they're on the same workgroup, and
show up themselves in network places, but the other comp does not show up,
nor can I ping it - dhcp is not making that any easier). I will post later
when I have messed with that a little.
Any advice on the VPN idea would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for
your help.
TIA,
Stephen

"Danny C" <Danny@CarwileEnterprises.com> wrote in message
news:41409898$0$10709$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
>
> "Step" <random2222@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:HfSdnVgZVqBBjKfcRVn-jg@adelphia.com...
> > I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100,
> all
> > patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My
> laptop
> > is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to
be
> > able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get
> it
> > to work?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> > Stephen
>
> More than likely it's still looking for the domain controller at your
> office. You will probably have to go into the network properties and
change
> it to connect to your home network "workgroup", what ever you named it.
If
> this is a company machine I wouldn't suggest this as you may not be able
to
> get back on your work domain unless you have administrative rights. I
> worked at Ericsson for a couple of years and employees would remove their
> pc's from the domain but didn't have local admin rights to the machine so
> they couldn't add their pc back to the domain. Also you will have to have
> identical accounts on the 2 xp machines with the same Username and
Password
> as you are logging onto the 2000 laptop.
> Hope this helped
>
> Danny
> www.CarwileEnterprises.com
>
> >
> > "Richard Wright" <rbw@tis-online.com> wrote in message
> > news:10jf2uugag7c4d7@corp.supernews.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000
nodes
> > and
> > > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the
> > other
> > > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes
> and
> > > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not
have
> > > permission to access.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Richard Wright
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:14:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

VPN can be a headache, but if you just need to send and rec files, then
another way to do that .... via parallel cable or a null modem cable
(welcome back to the dark ages)...LOL
..

KK

"Step" <random2222@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:o LidnTlCrPZ4Hd7cRVn-oA@adelphia.com...
> Thanks very much for the assistance. As you probably guessed, I'm very
new
> at networking. You are correct about my work laptop, I do not want to
> change the domain as it is a pain to get back on it. As another option,
> could I do VPN or some type of PPTP (point to point tunneling protocol)
> instead? My main goals are to be able to 1. send backups onto my (larger
> HD) desktops regularly in case my laptop dies again, and 2. to
occasionally
> print while at home.
> I will take your advice on the XP comps, and see if I can at least get
them
> to talk to each other. Right now I am running Zone Alarm, so I think that
> might be why they can't see each other (they're on the same workgroup, and
> show up themselves in network places, but the other comp does not show up,
> nor can I ping it - dhcp is not making that any easier). I will post
later
> when I have messed with that a little.
> Any advice on the VPN idea would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for
> your help.
> TIA,
> Stephen
>
> "Danny C" <Danny@CarwileEnterprises.com> wrote in message
> news:41409898$0$10709$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> >
> > "Step" <random2222@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > news:HfSdnVgZVqBBjKfcRVn-jg@adelphia.com...
> > > I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron
8100,
> > all
> > > patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My
> > laptop
> > > is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want
to
> be
> > > able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I
get
> > it
> > > to work?
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Stephen
> >
> > More than likely it's still looking for the domain controller at your
> > office. You will probably have to go into the network properties and
> change
> > it to connect to your home network "workgroup", what ever you named it.
> If
> > this is a company machine I wouldn't suggest this as you may not be able
> to
> > get back on your work domain unless you have administrative rights. I
> > worked at Ericsson for a couple of years and employees would remove
their
> > pc's from the domain but didn't have local admin rights to the machine
so
> > they couldn't add their pc back to the domain. Also you will have to
have
> > identical accounts on the 2 xp machines with the same Username and
> Password
> > as you are logging onto the 2000 laptop.
> > Hope this helped
> >
> > Danny
> > www.CarwileEnterprises.com
> >
> > >
> > > "Richard Wright" <rbw@tis-online.com> wrote in message
> > > news:10jf2uugag7c4d7@corp.supernews.com...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000
> nodes
> > > and
> > > > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with
the
> > > other
> > > > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000
nodes
> > and
> > > > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not
> have
> > > > permission to access.
> > > >
> > > > Any ideas?
> > > >
> > > > TIA,
> > > >
> > > > Richard Wright
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
!