hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Hi

Got XP pro today.

Thought everything was ok'but suddenly half my games won't launch.

First some of them'the mouse movement was very very slow on the menu screens.

So i downloaded the latest xp nvidia drivers and this seems to have solved that.

But now half(and i have a lot of games) won't even launch'just the sound of my Hard drive whirring then nothing.

Then half an hour later'i have retried one of the problem games and now i get to the menu'but i cannot click on the continue button.

Lastly i just tried to play online at ubi.com playing IL-2 Sturmovik which is one of the ones which does now work and i get a registration error'despite being already registered.

Help'coz i can see win 98 being installed again tomorrow.

Thanx

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
1) Shoot to <A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com" target="_new">http://www.ntcompatible.com</A>.
2) Don't use the 23.11 nvidia drivers (at least, try something else first: 21.83's)
3) Don't use the 4n1 4.37's (at least, give msft's a try first).

I find my system is stable extra-ordinary (like in "Enter the Dragon", where the bad guy tells Bruce Lee "Your skill is extra-ordinary", not like a Britt would pronounce it EX-troid-enary) when I use the 21.83's with all the goodies cranked up (agp fastwrites, sidebanding, 4x, burst256, overclocked Geforce2 Ultra) than anything else.

Now that your system is stable, you can Mickey around with the games. The ACT (application compatibility toolkit) is one tool that will gear around a whole slew of games.

You can always dual/triple/quadruple boot too. Any config you'd like: Win2k/ME, XP/ME, XP/95, XP/98, XP/98/Me/Mandrake8.1.

I know of at least three people playing IL 2 where I live and they are all running Windows XP. The difference is one has an ATi Radeon 8500DV, another has a Voodoo5 5500, and the last one has a nVidia Geforce2 MX400. The only one having problems is the one running the nVidia card, but it's due to the driver, not XP. The game runs fine, but he gets some wierd graphics glitch when going in for a landing... something about the ground looking 'squished' and a problem with the horizon.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i just got done putting windows 98se back on my little bros comp because he was unable to play any 3d games except for those based on the half life engine. but this was due to Diamond going under before Win XP was released, and they only have 98, ME, and 2k drivers for his diamond Stealth 3 s540. oh well, at least now he can do what he usually does...play games.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

If you try XP again, try using the Win2K driver for the card... in a lot of cases the Win2K driver will work and give you support for all 3D APIs.

I remember having to do that when using RC2 for XP with my ATi Radeon. The driver in XP was useless for anything other than DirectX, ATi hadn't released an XP driver yet, so I tried the Win2K driver just for kicks. Sure enough, everything worked!

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i forgot to mention that i tried the win2k drivers on there as a last resort...well, not really a last resort, because like you said, in a lot of cases it will work fine. well, in this case, it didnt work any better. i guess diamond just made some crappy drivers for the stealth3 before they went under. it was sad to see diamond go under....after such a nice run....oh well.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-