Fake memory sticks?

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
August 30, 2005 6:04:00 PM

Hi,

I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

- Siddhartha

More about : fake memory sticks

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 30, 2005 9:22:09 PM

On 30 Aug 2005 14:04:00 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

Fake or mislabeled? At least as far back as 15 years ago there
has been fakery in the industry. One common one was to mislabel
CPUs as being rated at a higher clock speed than they actually were.
Similarly, non-parity memory was sold as having parity, etc. Do the
"fake" Memory Sticks (whether yours or others) have reliability
problems or operate at lower speeds? You could always cut away the
case to expose the semiconductor within. That's a sure way to
identify more than who really made the chips. I'm not suggesting
you do that though, unless the memory is completely dead. :)
August 31, 2005 1:09:35 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

If a fake memory stick does the same as a genuine one, what's the problem?

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***
Related resources
August 31, 2005 3:27:26 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
>
> - Siddhartha

Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.

Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
a third party and relabeled.

BJ
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 31, 2005 6:38:58 AM

imbsysop wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:27:26 GMT, "BJ" <bjtexas@swbell.net> wrote:
>

> >"Siddhartha Jain" <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
> >> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
> >> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
> >> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
> >> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
> >> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
> >> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
> >> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
> >> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
> >> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
> >>
> >> - Siddhartha
> >>

> >Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.
> >
> >Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
> >memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
> >good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
> >Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
> >a third party and relabeled.
>
> .. unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in some
> obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very expensive
> memory sticks ... as said it happened before in "electronics"
> industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
> FWIW

Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with FAT
filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on Sony Memory
Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that too and the
videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I have been warned about
is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are prone to
data corruption.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 31, 2005 11:38:42 AM

BJ in Texas wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:
> "electronics"
> || Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with
> || FAT filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on
> || Sony Memory
> || Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that
> || too and the videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I
> || have been warned about
> || is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are
> || prone to
> || data corruption.
> || - Siddhartha
>
> Sony has never made a memory stick, they have them made by a
> third party manufacturer. They likely have the third-party
> manufacturer
> label them even. This is common practice among brand name
> companies.
> Just a hand full of companies manufacture all memory.

Thats exactly my point. Lets say Sony OEM's the sticks from Sandisk
then the sticks would sell under Sony's and Sandisk's brand names.
Sandisk wouldn't have much reason to flood the market with Sony
labelled sticks at half the price. Just giving an example. It could be
Lexar or some other big manufacturer supplying the sticks but whoever
it is won't flood the market with much cheaper *fakes*. So I am more
inclined to think that the dealer was bluffing about the *fakes* sticks
just because he couldn't offer the same deal. But then again, I would
be able to tell only once my memory stick has lasted atleast six
months.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 31, 2005 1:54:48 PM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:27:26 GMT, "BJ" <bjtexas@swbell.net> wrote:

>"Siddhartha Jain" <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
>> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
>> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
>> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
>> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
>> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
>> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
>> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
>> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
>> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
>>
>> - Siddhartha
>>

>Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.
>
>Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
>memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
>good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
>Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
>a third party and relabeled.

... unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in some
obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very expensive
memory sticks ... as said it happened before in "electronics"
industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
FWIW
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 31, 2005 5:10:03 PM

Siddhartha Jain <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:
|| imbsysop wrote:
||| .. unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in
||| some
||| obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very
||| expensive
||| memory sticks ... as said it happened before in
"electronics"
||| industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
||| FWIW
|| Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with
|| FAT filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on
|| Sony Memory
|| Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that
|| too and the videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I
|| have been warned about
|| is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are
|| prone to
|| data corruption.
|| - Siddhartha

Sony has never made a memory stick, they have them made by a
third party manufacturer. They likely have the third-party
manufacturer
label them even. This is common practice among brand name
companies.
Just a hand full of companies manufacture all memory.

"Every compromise was surrender and invited new demands." --
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 31, 2005 7:47:43 PM

All this reminds me of my computer vendor who adviced me *not* to buy bulk
ink to refill my printer cartridges (15 euros for 100 ml) but to buy his
(refill) kits that contain among (reusable) instruments just 40 ml of ink
for 19 euros.Of course, every merchant wants to sell his own products and
claims that everything else but his' is fake.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

!