Smart Fast Charger?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 30, 2005 7:03:34 PM

I'd like to know what is thought of the
Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
the C20FC in mind.

Would any care to compare? I've batteries
and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan

More about : smart fast charger

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:23:54 AM

<dan.c.quinn@att.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to know what is thought of the
> Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> the C20FC in mind.
>
> Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan

You really want a charger that charges batteries individually, not in pairs.
I have a Maha that works very well.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:03:29 AM

In article <1125439414.552843.309040@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dan.c.quinn@att.net says...
> I'd like to know what is thought of the
> Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> the C20FC in mind.
>
> Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan

Can't say. I'm happy with my Maha 401 from Thomas Distributing.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
August 31, 2005 7:37:53 AM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <1125439414.552843.309040@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> dan.c.quinn@att.net says...
>> I'd like to know what is thought of the
>> Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
>> the C20FC in mind.
>>
>> Would any care to compare? I've batteries
>> and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan
>
> Can't say. I'm happy with my Maha 401 from Thomas Distributing.
Likewise. Liked the 204 as well, but wanted one with individual sensing.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

In article <E%dRe.2099$UQ1.1502@fe03.lga>, rphunter@charter.net says...
> > Can't say. I'm happy with my Maha 401 from Thomas Distributing.

> Likewise. Liked the 204 as well, but wanted one with individual sensing.

The individual sensing, along with the fast/slow option and car adapter
included. IT's a great deal.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Dan Quinn wrote:
> I'd like to know what is thought of the Smart Fast from
> www.logicbattery.com . I've the C20FC in mind. Would any
> care to compare? I've batteries and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh.

This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery charger at
the moment, but it's expensive. You can read all about why Ken Rockwell
thinks so highly of it here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

In article <zbtRe.3564$k4.1344@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,
"Lin Chung" <lin.chung@the.Water.Margin.com> wrote:

> This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery charger at
> the moment,

So the Ansmann is the bentley or the Mercedes or the Ferrari?

There are many excellent intelligent chargers out there and more coming.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

"Lin Chung" <lin.chung@the.Water.Margin.com> wrote in message
> Dan Quinn wrote:
> > I'd like to know what is thought of the Smart Fast from
> > www.logicbattery.com . I've the C20FC in mind. Would any
> > care to compare? I've batteries and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh.

Looking at it. This looks like a rebadged MAHA charger. If it is, they're
great.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:18:24 PM

Patrick wrote:
> Lin Chung wrote:
> > Dan Quinn wrote:
> > > I'd like to know what is thought of the Smart Fast from
> > > www.logicbattery.com . I've the C20FC in mind. Would any
> > > care to compare?...
> > This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery
> > charger...
> > http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm
> Looking at it. This looks like a rebadged MAHA charger. If it is,
> they're great.

I use a charger everyday. There are many in my possession. The one I'm
using constantly has been in service for more than 15 years now, and is
commissioned continuously with hardly any prolonged break in between
sessions. I'd really love to know about any other high performance charger.
Which PowerEx/Maha charger model you have in mind, that looks to you, has
been rebadged as the LaCrosse? Care to quote the model number?

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:47:21 PM

RE:Sheldon wrote:

> dan.c.quinn@att.net wrote
> > I'd like to know what is thought of the
> > Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> > the C20FC in mind.
> >
> > Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> > and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan
> >
> You really want a charger that charges batteries
> individually ... . I have a Maha that works very well.

The NexCell C20FC has discharge and three level
charge rate features. At $24.95 including four AAs
I think it may be one of the better deals.
Each cell it's own charge or discharge; that would
be the LaCrosse. I think perhaps too much is being made
of charge leveling prior to charge. Take an extreme case;
one down 90% the other down 10%. Put the two on a common
circuit for discharge. One pulls down fast the other
slow. After an hour the two are within perhaps a
tenth of a volt of each other. Right? Dan
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:51:44 AM

> Patrick wrote:
> > Lin Chung wrote:
> > > This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery
> > > charger...
> > > http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm
> > Looking at it. This looks like a rebadged MAHA charger. If it is,
> > they're great.
>

> I use a charger everyday. There are many in my possession. The one I'm
> using constantly has been in service for more than 15 years now, and is
> commissioned continuously with hardly any prolonged break in between
> sessions. I'd really love to know about any other high performance
charger.
> Which PowerEx/Maha charger model you have in mind, that looks to you, has
> been rebadged as the LaCrosse? Care to quote the model number?

I didn't mean the LaCrosse I meant the C20FC from the original post.
I don't no what happened. If I look at my post it has your LaCrosse mention
removed. Yet in your last post it looks like I was answering you.
My favourite charger for AA/AAA is the Maha MH-C401FS.
From the original post the C20FC look like it is the MAHA MH-C204F
Sorry for the confusion.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 5:26:26 AM

dan.c.quinn@att.net wrote:

> I'd like to know what is thought of the
> Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> the C20FC in mind.
>
> Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan

I believe that is the model I have. It is a good charger. There is one
aspect for which the designers deserve to be shot, repeatedly. It plays
"It's a Small World" when each pair of cells is finished charging,
loudly. It is a violation of the Geneva convention and an appalling
human rights abuse.

The only other thing I could say about the charger is that I wish I had
the car adapter for it.

--
Clark Martin

September 10, 2005 5:35:12 PM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:18:24 GMT, "Lin Chung"
<lin.chung@the.Water.Margin.com> wrote:

>I use a charger everyday. There are many in my possession.

Lin,

is the price of the chargers bigger or smaller than the price of
non-rechargeable batteries you would have bought without any
charger? (:-)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

RE: Clark Martin wrote:

> dan.c.quinn@att.net wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know what is thought of the
> > Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> > the C20FC in mind.
> >
> > Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> > and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan
>
> I believe that is the model I have. It is a good charger.
> It plays "It's a Small World" when each pair of cells
> is finished charging, loudly.
>
> The only other thing I could say about the
> charger is that I wish I had the car adapter for it.

I've narrowed my search to a four wide design with
wall wart. I'm giving the La Crosse BC-900 some thought.
Four AA and AAA come with the $48 price tag. All I need
is some high drain coulomb crunching gear to use
those AAAs. Dan
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:28:17 PM

dan.c.quinn@att.net wrote:
> I'd like to know what is thought of the
> Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
> the C20FC in mind.

forget it. It doesn't have four independent charging circuits.

> Would any care to compare? I've batteries
> and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan

See "http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/"
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:04:13 PM

dan.c.quinn@att.net wrote:

> I've narrowed my search to a four wide design with
> wall wart. I'm giving the La Crosse BC-900 some thought.
> Four AA and AAA come with the $48 price tag. All I need
> is some high drain coulomb crunching gear to use
> those AAAs. Dan

The problem with the La Crosse is that it doesn't have a car cord
available, and it would be difficult for the average person to construct
one, because it requires 4 amps at 3 volts, which is not a trivial
design. You can do it with an ARTESYN SIL15C-12SADJ-V, but it isn't for
a non-techie to try to build an adapter with this.

The other issues with La Crosse is that the customer support is
apparently lacking (see reviews of this charger on Amazon). On Amazon it
is $46 with free shipping.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:07:31 PM

Lin Chung wrote:
> Dan Quinn wrote:
>
>>I'd like to know what is thought of the Smart Fast from
>>www.logicbattery.com . I've the C20FC in mind. Would any
>>care to compare? I've batteries and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh.
>

> This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery charger at
> the moment, but it's expensive. You can read all about why Ken Rockwell
> thinks so highly of it here:
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm

Argh, given his reputation, run the other way! There are two issues with
the La Crosse. First is the lack of a DC cord, an accessory that many
people find very useful. Second is the La Crosse customer service if
your unit is DOA.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:34:04 PM

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> Lin Chung wrote:
> > I use a charger everyday. There are many in my possession....
> is the price of the chargers bigger or smaller than the price of
> non-rechargeable batteries you would have bought without any
> charger? (:-)

Hans-Georg, the many chargers I have in my possession have been collected
through the years, 30 years perhaps. You see, they never perished. But
more to the point you raised, it is not merely a question of simple
economics. It is more like comparing buying and using a motor car against
buying and using a bicycle. :)

I was amazed and pleased that there had been some lively discussion on La
Crosse BC900 in Steve's Forum. Steve, no less, wrote on 2005-04-12, "It is
the *best* charger I've ever used - period!"!
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=53...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=64...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66...
For those who have just joined in the discussion, I have to refer back to my
photographic web-world. He too is enthused about this unit.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm

-
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:35:44 PM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <1125439414.552843.309040@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> dan.c.quinn@att.net says...
>
>>I'd like to know what is thought of the
>>Smart Fast from www.logicbattery.com . I've
>>the C20FC in mind.
>>
>>Would any care to compare? I've batteries
>>and a charger to buy; 4-AA NiMh. Dan
>

> Can't say. I'm happy with my Maha 401 from Thomas Distributing.

The Maha 401 is top-rated at "http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/"

This is for several reasons:

-Lifetime warranty. While lifetime warranties are often complete scams,
in this case it probably is a very good idea, as chargers are devices
that don't last forever. Thomas Distributing has a good reputation in
terms of customer service.

-Slow charge option

-Regular charge rate is not excessively high, at 1000mA (nor excessively
low)

-Comes with DC car cord

-120/240 standard on International Edition

-Price is not excessively high, especially with the new lower price from
Thomas Distributing (probably due to the pricing of the La Crosse charger.

Steve
http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:39:39 PM

SMS wrote:
> Lin Chung wrote:
> > Dan Quinn wrote:
> > > I'd like to know what is thought of the Smart Fast from
> > > www.logicbattery.com . I've the C20FC in mind....
> > This LaCrosse unit seems to me to be the Rolls-Royce of battery
> > charger at the moment, but it's expensive. You can read all about
> > why Ken Rockwell thinks so highly of it here:
> > http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lacrosseBC900.htm
> Argh, given his reputation, run the other way!....

SMS, I don't know him. Care to elucidate that?

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:53:39 AM

I moderated my view. Quirks not bugs.
I just ordered a La Crosse BC-900 from eBay.
$48.97.

The matching, rejuvenation, LCD readouts, and
other features were too much to resist. Dan
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:45:31 PM

Dan Quinn wrote
> I moderated my view. Quirks not bugs.
> I just ordered a La Crosse BC-900 from eBay.
> $48.97.
> The matching, rejuvenation, LCD readouts, and
> other features were too much to resist.

Congratulations! I know how you feel, the elation of finally putting an end
to a nagging indecision! Now....here is one DIY project I think you may be
interested in. This simple gadget will keep all your AA batteries
shipshape, fully charged, and ready for use 24/7. It looks good to me.
"Trickle Charging Large Numbers of NiMH Batteries at Very Low Cost"
http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/ (Right at the bottom of the page)

Best regards.

--
!