Unsure about installing drivers

phomatic

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2012
So I am a newbie at installing things..and have a PSU and GPU on their way as I am typing this.

I've done a little research and I suppose these are the steps to installing the card:

1. Uninstall current card drivers
2. Install new drivers
3. Open up the tower and put in the new card

I currently have an ATI card and really am unsure about uninstalling the current drivers. I realize it's Control Panel -> Remove Programs, but what is it called? All I have for ATI is 'ATI Catalyst Install Manager'...unless that's what I need to uninstall?

As for installing the new ones. I went to the EVGA site, chose my new card that I am getting along with my OS..and about 10 things to install appear. I really have no idea what I am to choose.

Also, do I need to do anything special with my PSU?

THanks!

Solution
You have steps 2 and 3 reversed. You should uninstall your current drivers, shut down, install the card and then install the new drivers after booting up.

The "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" is AMD's uninstall utility. Select "change" on it in the Programs and Features dialog and select "express uninstall all AMD software", this will remove the drivers.

After installing the new card you should get the NVidia GeForce drivers from the NVidia site. Unlike Laptop video cards, desktop cards are not OEM products and the same generic driver suite is used for all cards regardless of whom the manufacturer is. One size fits all.

As for your PSU, there is nothing that you have to do software wise. However it is advisable that you make sure that...
You have steps 2 and 3 reversed. You should uninstall your current drivers, shut down, install the card and then install the new drivers after booting up.

The "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" is AMD's uninstall utility. Select "change" on it in the Programs and Features dialog and select "express uninstall all AMD software", this will remove the drivers.

After installing the new card you should get the NVidia GeForce drivers from the NVidia site. Unlike Laptop video cards, desktop cards are not OEM products and the same generic driver suite is used for all cards regardless of whom the manufacturer is. One size fits all.

As for your PSU, there is nothing that you have to do software wise. However it is advisable that you make sure that everything is connected prior to turning it on for the first time.

Solution

phomatic

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2012

When I select "change", it says "express uninstall ALL ATI software", not AMD.

Also, for future reference, why should I get the NVidia GeForce drivers? I'm not to get it from my manufacturer?

AMD bought ATI back in 2006. They've been slowly rebranding all the ATI to AMD, for all intents and purposes they are interchangeable.

The drivers provided by NVidia are the same ones provided by your manufacturer. Manufacturers are sometimes slow to pull in the new NVidia drivers to their site. The only time this is not the case is when you are using an OEM card that came preinstalled with a PC bought from a distributor such as HP or Dell. These OEM cards occasionally contain added components which make them incompatible with the generic drivers such as a custom VGA BIOS or switchable graphics. Since you are installing a new card that you purchased off of a store shelf you will be using the generic NVidia drivers regardless of where you get them from.