I currently have a phenon ii x4 b55 (athlon ii x3 455 unlocked) on an asus m4n68t-m v2 with 4gb ram and a powercolor hd 6850 ...
this pc plays all my games on high at decent fps. example metro 2033 lays on high @ 1600x1200. not sure on the fps as i never checked but i have no lag.
but here is the deal. my moms e-machines is about to pass away ... athlon ii x2 220, 3gb ram, 1tb hdd ... it keeps overheating and shutting off. i thought it
was low pro (no power cable needed) 9600gt i added so my kids can play games (single dad, parents watch kids). not it, so i thought maybe the cpu was getting hot
in that tiny case, artic silver 5 helped for about a day ... i finally narrowed to the psu (my initial 1st though but was hoping it was something else). it is one of those custom made funky small sized ones that probably cost more to replace than a corsair or something. should i buy i cheap mobo, case, and psu and reuse everything i can from he emachines ... or build myself a new gaming rig (aiming for ivy bridge i5 and sli setup when i do). my pc plays EVERYTHING i play fine though ... heck gta 4 plays pretty good on it. i am sorta wanting to squeeze a little more life out of my pc though ... but buying stuff to "fix" the emachines is almost half the cost (if not half) the thing cost (i advised agaisnt that purchase ... that i could build one cheaper, but she didn't want to have to "work"). it seems like a waste fixing this machine imho. what do you good people think?
holding off on building myself a new pc means i can put that much extra towards an an engine swap in my car (95 civic with 238000 miles and still running "strong". if you call the factory 70-something hp strong, lol). the emachines mobo may fit into a matx case but i am not sure. it's an el1358g-51w. using another mobo with the mp61g? chipset will "fool" windows, i did this on my sons pc because newegg was cheaper than getting a replacement from acer, who also makes emachines, gateway and packard bell. plus the hsf on this pc is NOT amd styled at all, looks like recycled lga 775. i was planning on replacing that pathectic hsf too. like said any opinions will be appreciated.
i am not asking for cheap build ideas, i am wondering if anyone thinks it worth it to salvage the almost dead emachines. i hear rumor (so far all i can confrim is rumor) that te 220 can unlock to a quad core, depending on stepping. i think i can sped a little over a 100 to "resurrect" this machine. anyone think it worth it? if not then i already have an i5 (ivy bridge, sli/xfire) build planned. i already have the parts waiting on my wishlist on newegg. but i am hoping to hold off until i buy my engine (b18c1). if noone thinks it worth repairing then i will just build my new rig early.the games played on the emachnes were/are tf2, garry's mod, sims2/3, luxor (all of them) zuma (all), and facebook games. nothing cpu or gpu intensive ... but it is old tech with no upgrade path ...
so um are you looking for a new pc? what parts do you not need (im sure you need about everything), your budget, location, and future upgradibility options (crossfire, SLI, OC)
sorry if my post was confusing. as stated before, i have an i5 build already preplanned. i am hoping to postpone the build till around christmas time or a little later. what i am wondering if does anyone think it wise/advisable to just essentially fix the broken emachines with a new case and psu (and possibly new mobo if needed, using a mobo with the same chipset let windows still work. i did this before with another emachines instead of paying their $100 plus shipping for an am2+ board i bought an am3 board for $45 w/ free shipping). the big deal with waiting for my new rig is i am "fix'n up" (as we say in texas and OK) my car. i have rims that need tires, eibach springs i am installing tomorrow, a new front and rear bumper (stock styled, not some ricey hot wheels looking deal) and a date next month for a fresh coat of paint. and lastly i am ordering an engine with a little more pep (with an upgrade path should i choose to go down that road later on). i had all my locks rekeyed yesterday so they match the ignition key. my car is eating alot of my cash right now, but it beats making car payments. i am leaning more towards just buying what i need to fix the emachines ... but if that seems like a dumb idea then i won't.
if you can, id hold off the computer for a while. if it is seriously dying, you can use another system for the time being. not really worth salvaging the system
i can always take my son's computer over there, he never plays. always plays the xbox or my pc. i do have an IB build planned for later on and i would like to wait. the thought of salvaging being a waste did occur to me. i mean why put in money to something with no upgradability. thanks for the opinion/advice ...
the plan was/is that my son will get my pc when i build my rig and my mom will get my son's (athlon ii x2 250, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, dvd burner, hd 6790) so they will have a better "gaming" pc. the kids use my pc and my old pos laptop here at home anyways, so moving/giving my son's pc early is should work out ok. he will fuss and cry about it but i think telling him he will be getting my pc soon will make it ok