Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi everyone,

Here is my computer specs:
Q9450 @2.66GHz
4G ram
ASUS P5G43T-M PRO (motherboard)
Nvidia GTX 460

The only game I play is League of Legends which is not really graphic card demanding. But somehow if I don't reboot my computer, after one night, the game will only get fps 15 and usually is 60. Even the computer was put to asleep, the problem won't be fixed until rebooting. I had this problem and got really upset about it so I re-installed Win 7. But the problem still exists even when the system is clean. The driver for graphic card is up to date. Any ideas how to fix this without reboot? Thank you

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I've had this problem for months already. The driver was older version and the fps problem occurred. Then I installed the newest driver but it didn't help. That's when I re-install the windows. Basically I used two driver versions and neither of them worked.

Yes, I would quite like to see the temperatures of the graphics card. It rule out some of the problems it could possibly be. GTX460's usually dont overheat, but on occasion they do.

Also, what is the model of your power supply? It might not be sufficient to power the graphics card.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Are you using any graphics card fan utility software? One time I don't know what happened, but my gtx 560 Ti's shader clock and core clock was set at 0 somehow, after I found that I barely got 15 fps in League of Legends. I just set the settings back to the previous settings and things were fine again.

How's the heat on the card? Is the temperature stable on load?

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

It's about 32C since I just started to play (I got this number from SIW). The issue exists no matter how hot/cool the graphic card is. The power supply is CoolMaster 600W.

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

That's interesting to know. I don't use any software to control it. But it shouldn't be too hot coz I just woke my computer up and tried to play LOL

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Not really. Only nvidia setting software, Microsoft anti-virus, snagit(screenshot app).

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would bet it's an issue with your PC going into sleep mode, try setting your power profile in windows to maximum performance, and/or disabling sleep mode.

Since it works fine for an evening if you do a fresh reboot, but sucks after that (presumably you are leaving your pc on overnight), probably one of your components isn't coming out of low power mode very happily.

If all else fails, try hibernating your PC overnight instead of sleep (or letting it idle itself to sleep). It's a little longer boot time, (but less than a reboot), and you should be able to evade the problem.

edit: Also, since it's a LoL related post, I feel obligated to ask: U mad bro?

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Nope you mad? LOL Before re-installing windows, my computer was set to be awake at all time but it had the same problem. I can try it again but not sure if it's gonna fix it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
So do you see a noticeable difference in FPS between a fresh boot and 2 hours later? What about 4 hours later? (What event seperates normal LoL from slow LoL for you?)

Curious, what programs are running when it's left on overnight? (you don't leave LoL or it's launcher running I hope, if that's the case it maybe just a memory leak in their code)

Do you have some other games you could try running as alternative tests besides LoL (I don't really trust their programmers to be efficient), or some F2P (Team Fortress 2, Super Monday Night Combat, Tribes: Ascend, etc). If other games are fine, you can at least know it's something with just LoL (maybe an adobe issue).

Using a GPU monitor tool (sorry don't know any good ones) may help you determine if the GPU is bottlenecking or not. (Should also be able to check the clock speeds, as mazchazo suggested)

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

1. 2 hours or 4 hours later are fine. Basically I have to leave the computer on overnight in order to get low fps.

2. The launcher was shut down over the night. The background programs are Nvidia, Microsoft anti-virus, snagit

3. This is a very good idea. However I don't have other games. Maybe I should try install some other games to test this out.

4. I can try it out and report back

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Done. Will report back. It takes a while to test this....like a night or so LOL

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Here is a free game you can try to check your performance:
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

I don't know that it has an FPS monitor (maybe through a console command) but I would expect you can tell if you are getting acceptable performance or not. (I'd expect you to get decent fps at medium graphics).

Another thing, what happens if you play in the morning after it was on all night? What I'm trying to establish is whether your performance slowly degrades over time or if there is some event that occurs after your PC has been idle for some # of hours that takes you from normal to crappy performance.

Backles

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

This solved the problem. I guess after the sleep, the performance couldn't get back up if it's not set to Max Performance, Thanks!

ettimer

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I know this may sound ridiciulous but LoL uses Adobe AIR for thier spectator modes. I had this same problem with my FPS dropping in LoL to 5-12 frames all game.

My original version of Adobe AIR was 1.5.something and the latest version is 3.8.something. Once i upgraded my Adobe AIR I got a solid 60FPS all day with my video settings canked to the max.

Try updating Adobe AIR...

Status
Not open for further replies.