Advent problems and possible rebuild

Zane14

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm completely new to this whole thing so please excuse anything I say that might sound stupid or wrong (or both!). So basically, I am under the impression that I have an Advent T9509 (don't know how to confirm this without finding the receipt which is long gone) which I bought around 3-4 years ago.

At the moment, when I shut down the computer, if I try to turn it back on after 10 seconds, the computer doesn't like it and can sometimes take up to 5 minutes until it allows me to switch it back on; if I press the button before then, there is no response. This problem leads me to believe that something isn't discharging correctly within my system so i'm inclined to believe it is either the PSU or the memory; I don't think it has anything to do with heating up because the computer doesn't overheat and shut-down. I want to try and fix this but don't want to cash out on something when it turns out that part was fine.

At the same time, I want to breathe back some life in to this machine so I'm thinking of updating the RAM, the graphics card and anything that you guys would happen to recommend; within reason; the main purpose of my update is to carry out some daily tasks, with the very very occasional "demanding" software, i.e CAD/CAM or a game. I appreciate that the name of the computer alone may not be adequate, therefore I have provided some details below through CPU-Z:

motherboard.jpg

memory.jpg

cpu.jpg

graphics.jpg

Let me know if any more information is required on this.

Please realise that what I have said above about my ideas are only a speculation from someone who knows nothing about computers but would like to. I hope you guys can help and many thanks in advance.

Zane.

Zane14

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Also, i'm thinking of getting a GeForce GT 520 for this motherboard, I notice the motherboard has a PCIE x16 slot (which I assume is PCIE 1.1) and the graphics card supports PCIE 2.0, would it be worth getting a graphics card like this on a motherboard like this or would it be a complete waste to do that and just wait till I need to get a new motherboard altogether?

Thanks.

Zane14

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
And apologies for the third post but does it matter that its memory is a DDR3 and my motherboard's only supports DDR2 RAM memory?